Give them the POWER - Development on Apple wireless charging returns

williamcll

It seems like the ill fated Apple Airpower charger isn't dead yet as the user above pointed out

Almost a year to the day after Apple confirmed that its AirPower wireless charging mat project is officially dead, following a number of technical hurdles the company grappled with that ultimately proved insurmountable, leaker and YouTuber Jon Prosser claims that the project appears to be back on track internally. Prosser has a record of accurate leaks when it comes to Google, but he doesn’t have as much experience on the Apple front. What makes this rumor even more intriguing, though, is that it comes after a recent prediction by the world’s top Apple insider, TF International Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who thinks Apple’s hardware roadmap for the first half of this year includes a “smaller wireless charging mat” (h/t MacRumors). However, that prediction was made prior to the worst of the coronavirus crisis setting in, and it’s also not clear if Kuo thinks Apple would attach the AirPower moniker to this smaller mat or not.

One of the things that was so unusual when Apple’s Senior VP of Hardware Engineering Dan Riccio confirmed last year that the AirPower project was officially nixed was that, while product delays are somewhat commonplace for the iPhone maker, it’s rare to see Apple announce and then later scrap a product completely. The assumption among tech insiders was that Apple introduced AirPower well before it was ready to be shown to the public because the company thought it could work around some of the problems it was encountering. “After much effort, we’ve concluded AirPower will not achieve our high standards and we have canceled the project,” Riccio said at the time. Rumor had it that the AirPower, which was designed to charge three devices all at once, was prone to overheating.

Apple showed off the AirPower back in September 2017 at the Steve Jobs Theater following the introduction of the iPhone X. The original expectation was that the AirPower would hit the market at the end of the following year — which Apple eventually confirmed wouldn’t happen (though the company said it still very much wanted “to push the wireless experience forward.”

Source: https://bgr.com/2020/03/23/airpower-mat-rumor-smaller-version-coming-jon-prosser/

Thoughts: Maybe I should really use that iwatch that I was given for free.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

5 hours ago, williamcll said:

Thoughts: Maybe I should really use that iwatch that I was given for free.

I'd say you should... you don't fully appreciate a smartwatch until you live with it a while and learn to make use of it.  I find mine indispensable for fitness, purchases and little things like checking the weather before I head out.