Stuck deciding on new PSU

I am currently using a budget Corsair CX650  for my rig which consists of the following:

i7 9700k which standard boost to 4.6Ghz all cores 4.9Ghz single cores (HWMonitor showed it using up to 130 Watts as it auto clocks to 1.35 - 1.36V)

Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4

Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC which auto boosts to 2000Mhz clock speed at times but generally settles at 1960Mhz from stock OC mode of 1850Mhz (Uses 230-250 Watts I think)

1x m.2 NVMe

2x SSD

1x HDD

LED strips

Quite a few USB peripherals 

1x 240mm AIO

4x 120mm fans

Before you link the PSU Tier list I have looked at that extensively and can't settle on whether I need a 650W PSU still or a 750W now or maybe even an 850W to be extra safe but could lose efficiency?

I have tried several PSU calculators but I think a lot of them seem to just recommend 1000Ws which is overkill.

TLDR;

Should I go for a Corsair RMX 650/750/850 or the Be Quiet!  Straight Power 11 Gold 650/750/850 ?

thanks in advance

2 minutes ago, Youngteezy said:

Should I go for a Corsair RMX 650/750/850 or the Be Quiet!  Straight Power 11 Gold 650/750/850 ?

either is fine. 

650w is plenty  for the system. like more than enough. 

Before you link the PSU Tier list I have looked at that extensively and can't settle on whether I need a 650W PSU still or a 750W now or maybe even an 850W to be extra safe but could lose efficiency?

An i7 9700k + RTX 2080 will be fine on a 550W PSU.

I have tried several PSU calculators but I think a lot of them seem to just recommend 1000Ws which is overkill.

Yeah, PSU calculators are rubbish, especially if you put in any form of overclock it will blow out the recommendations to insane levels.

The Corsair RMx and Be quiet Straight Power 11 are both great power supplies. Either would be good choices. Go with whichever is cheapest.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

An i7 9700k + RTX 2080 will be fine on a 550W PSU.

Yeah, PSU calculators are rubbish, especially if you put in any form of overclock it will blow out the recommendations to insane levels.

The Corsair RMx and Be quiet Straight Power 11 are both great power supplies. Either would be good choices. Go with whichever is cheapest.

Thanks,

Do you think I should stick to 650W or up it to 750? I've noticed that I am getting a lot of coil whine from my current PSU now on more stressful / power hungry games like CoD: MW and sometimes even on lower games like CSGO.

Get Be Quiet. I'm using Seasonic and I regret that I don't buy BeQuiet like I often do when I made computers for people. And based on people opinions - you have better chance to avoid coil whining with Be Quiet than with Corsair.

1 minute ago, Youngteezy said:

Thanks,

Do you think I should stick to 650W or up it to 750? I've noticed that I am getting a lot of coil whine from my current PSU now on more stressful / power hungry games like CoD: MW and sometimes even on lower games like CSGO.

What is your current power supply?

1 minute ago, homeap5 said:

Get Be Quiet. I'm using Seasonic and I regret that I don't buy BeQuiet like I often do when I made computers for people.

Any particular reason why? Noisy?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

What is your current power supply?

Corsair CX650 which is only a Bronze certified unit.  But it's started to really whine when I increase the load on my system

Corsair CX650 which is only a Bronze certified unit.  But it's started to really whine when I increase the load on my system

CX650 isn't horrible. Might have just got unlucky with a unit that is prone to coil whine.
Is the whine definitely coming from the power supply? Not coming from the GPU itself?

I've had the case off and use the rolled up paper as stethoscope method on the GPU and it didn't sound like it was coming from there.

I ran CPU Stress test, didn't whine, did a FurMark GPU stress test and there is a subtle whine.

But when in a game and both components are loaded the whine is very audible and changes pitch depending what you are doing in the game.

To me it definitely sounds like it is coming from the PSU enclosure, which is boxed in it's own compartment.

I don't remember the CX650 making this noise before in the 2 years or so I've had it.

29 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Any particular reason why? Noisy?

You mean Seasonic? If you're talking about noise level in dB then no. If you're talking about type of noise - then yes.

I actually have a wattage meter arriving tomorrow so I will be able to see how much power is being drawn from the wall  to the PSU to make my choice between 650 again or 750.

So basically go with whatever is cheaper between Corsair RMX and Be Quiet! 

Rmx650 should do the trick. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Just a quick update for anyone else who stumbles upon this thread my 9700k at stock OC (4.6ghz all cores) and an RTX 2080 Gaming OC with stock 100% power limit which auto boosts clocks to 1980Mhz maxed out around 466 Watts.

If you pushed it to 120% PL I reckon it would have hit 485-490 Watts maybe 500 at a push.

650 Watt PSU is plenty :)

Now just to decide on RMX or Be Quiet! or another from the list if any personal recommendations

Ok I've decided on the Corsair :)

Just having second thoughts on 550W vs 650W now..... so indecisive about this stuff