Is Folding@home bad for my pc?

After the LTT video about Folding@home I wanted to contribute but was wondering if it's detrimental to my PC's longevity in a significant way. I'm using my personal gaming rig and have it set to fold on idle using "medium folding power".

Thanks for any answers ahead of time :)

No more detrimental than running the thing.  Less I think, because f@h doesn’t like overclocks so things have to run cooler.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

if your temps are kept in check (under 80 C for long term operation) then it's all the same as gaming.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, xXHatsuneMiku39Xx said:

After the LTT video about Folding@home I wanted to contribute but was wondering if it's detrimental to my PC's longevity in a significant way. I'm using my personal gaming rig and have it set to fold on idle using "medium folding power".

As long as your components are not running too hot and as long as your PSU can handle your parts, F@H will do no harm to your parts at all.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

You could compare your PC to an engine.
The engine will of course live longer if it doesn't run, but running it for extended times won't hurt it.

It simply does what it was intended for.

So no, it's not bad for your PC to run F@H, but putting your PC under stress will of course always wear out your components faster than having your PC turned off.

11 minutes ago, xXHatsuneMiku39Xx said:

Thanks for the replies! and my pc temps never went above 55c so I think it will be fine 

Son why put your computer though all that stress? Let some other chump run folding at home.

1 minute ago, Allmykidsareblack said:

Son why put your computer though all that stress? Let some other chump run folding at home.

Really?  People want to help.  People want to do something.  It’s kind of part of being a person.  There does appear to be more people offering to do the folding than there is folding available to be done at the moment.  I suspect that will change though.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Allmykidsareblack said:

Chump checking in here then... I'm more than happy to contribute (when I can get work units lol)

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

I joined this calculating with F@H and I'm fascinated about huge interest.I will have better feeling when I have connected and joined... seriously

team 223518.JPG

1 minute ago, temporalsounds said:

I joined this calculating with F@H and I'm fascinated about huge interest.I will have better feeling when I have connected and joined... seriously

Folding.JPG

Welcome, and thanks for contributing!!!

If you haven't yet check out the F@H sub-form you should head over there.  https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

We're prepping for another folding event to help the COVID-19 research.  Check out the first pinned topic in the sub-form if you want to join.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

Short anwser: no

Long anwser: technically using your computer at all will degrade your hardware so it pretty much has a finite lifespan regardless of if you fold on it or not. Ovbiously folding can be harmful to your computer if your hardware overheats but as long as your PC case is clean and the heatinks are big enough you should be fine. Also don't fold on sketchy hardware that you think might die like an old DELL from 2001 as the components already have 20 years or so of use on them so it's likely the power supply or somethign else ight give out from 24/7 load but modern ish stuff should be fine as long as it's good quality.

I reckon if you replace your Gpu in 3 years time it will be because you wanted a newer one to keep up with advances in tech rather than it being worn out through folding. As long it's not running high temps 24/7 you should be fine. 

I do a lot of render work. I've cut back on that and try to get a couple of WU done each day.

So if you're a gamer you'll probably be playing loads atm. Maybe play a couple of hours less and do a bit of foldinginstead. No difference to wear and tear on your system.