2700X + Le Grand Macho RT = Terrible temps?

Bitter

I've got an undervolted 2700X (-.100) under a Le Grand Macho RT heat sink. Same vcore under the Wraith Prism in the same case with the same fans was around 85c tctl. I installed the Macho RT, had some pretty bad temps around 88-90 tctl, removed it, found that the  heat sink base was a high spot and contacting the just the IHS high spot. I lapped both down flat on a sheet of tempered glass up to 2000 grit with a light hand polish with metal polish, the re-mounted with a slight shim of aluminum tape to take up the loss of material between the two surfaces. The heat sink feels much tighter on the CPU now but my temps are exactly the same as before. 88C Tctl!

How can this be?

Heatsink mount brackets are on right, tight, and solid. Heat sink has little to no wiggle when twisted and can't be tipped or tilted any way. This is a massive heat sink with a big 140mm fan. It's nice and quiet at these temps which is nice but I expected better. Tdie is at 78c, I realize tctl is the higher of the temps for fan control but that's also the CPU 'hot spot' temp right? Is there really nothing to be done about this? I'm just kind of at a loss as these two are well mated with ample thermal compound (Kryonaut).

What have I done wrong?

Also weird thing, when I started it up after re-socketing the CPU all my BIOS was reset and it said I had installed a new CPU. Do X470/Asus boards have a sense for the CPU having been out and back in? I'm working on dialing the settings back in so maybe there's something really big that I'm missing?

I'll pull it and re-mount/re-check the paste application and get a photo tonight.

Bummer, I was going to use that cooler on a possible amd build. That cooler works great on intel, as I’ve used it on my x5690 and 3770K.

And that x5690 puts out some serious heat.. what happens if you take the shim out, is it too loose? 

Aren’t all the new intel and amd CPUs  already running close to their limit out of the box? That makes a cpu run pretty hot too. Is it putting out heat or just running hot?

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

I'll get some time with it tonight. I got things pretty flat, so it's got to be a mounting problem. I think I recall something about Foxconn sockets and high mounting pressure coolers causing flex and poor contact. Plastic nubs somewhere. Tonight I'll mess with it more and report back.

IMG_20200322_221918.jpg

IMG_20200322_203336.jpg

So I figured out how to check my mounting easily and non destructively, I'll get some modeling clay on my way home and use a small ball of that to check if it's mounting down flatly. If it's in fact mounting flatly then I'm at a loss for what to do. I'll pick this up tomorrow or later in the week if I have some extra time off.

Finally some time to mess with this.

I removed the foil shim, checked with modeling clay which is too thick/viscous to spread to the edges but the ball in the center was pushed evenly flat. Remounted the cooler with a lot less paste this time, then it would not boot. Hang on RAM light during POST. Reseated the RAM got through POST lights but still no actual POST or boot. Removed the cooler and it posts with the cooler off.

I vaguely remember a Reddit post about someone having high mount pressure issues with Ryzen in Foxconn sockets like this board has but I can't find the post now of course. It had to do with how the socket supports the bottom of the CPU with some nubs and on the edges which leads to excessive flexing. Since I can't find that post again I can't find what they did to resolve it if they ever did.

So I think what's happening here is the mounting pressure is too high and that's flexing the socket/motherboard/cpu and causing a contact issue between the CPU and socket and between the CPU and cooler. I can space the upper mount of the CPU cooler up a little to reduce mount pressure and try again I just hope nothing has been damaged by the high mount pressure! I think I'm also going to reach out to Thermalright about this problem and see if they've got any advice or have ran into it before.

Here's two photos of the dismounted parts when the PC POST'ed with the cooler off. Great thin even spread on the paste, the one side looks funny because I had to slide then turn/tilt the cooler to take it off without pulling the CPU up with it.

IMG_20200328_142214.jpg

IMG_20200328_142229.jpg

Got it mounted (added a tiny dab more paste), got it booting, temps same, screw it.

This heat sink is NOT suitable for Ryzen for some reason or another that I can't determine. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with how it's mounting causing bowing and loss of contact under pressure that I can't see because things flatten out when I pull it off and mask the issue. I'll probably either get a 240 CLC for the rear of the case or maybe go custom open loop with a 360 on the top if I can get myself to cut the case up for it.