Best mid-range Android phone for $600 AUD?

Quackwich

Looking for a mid-range Android phone to upgrade to from my current Galaxy S9. The S9 is a good phone, even by today's standards. However, the battery life isn't as good as it was 2 years ago at release, so I would like to get a new phone.

I guess I can spend more than $600 AUD if need be, but ideally want to stick to that budget. Was looking at the Galaxy A90 5G, which can be had for <$600 AUD at the Samsung Education store but it's out of stock currently. :(

When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

Everything at $600 AUD ($350 USD) would be a sidegrade. I would rather change the battery.

11 hours ago, Baos said:

Looking for a mid-range Android phone to upgrade to from my current Galaxy S9. The S9 is a good phone, even by today's standards. However, the battery life isn't as good as it was 2 years ago at release, so I would like to get a new phone.

I guess I can spend more than $600 AUD if need be, but ideally want to stick to that budget. Was looking at the Galaxy A90 5G, which can be had for <$600 AUD at the Samsung Education store but it's out of stock currently. :(

As said above you wouldn't get much more, if anything it'll probably be less phone for the money just more support down the line. If the battery is the issue you could look around for a shop that'll do a replacement for you. Would cost a lot less than a new phone. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

How much does lg g8 thinq go for in aud

11 hours ago, Baos said:

12 hours ago, EL02 said:

Everything at $600 AUD ($350 USD) would be a sidegrade. I would rather change the battery.

9 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

As said above you wouldn't get much more, if anything it'll probably be less phone for the money just more support down the line. If the battery is the issue you could look around for a shop that'll do a replacement for you. Would cost a lot less than a new phone. 

True, will consider that, although it would be nice to have a higher capacity battery - the S9 is at 3,000mAh, whereas most new phones are past that already.

9 hours ago, huilun02 said:

What improvements are you most interested in?

Do you do anything on your phone that requires very high processor performance?

For example a lot of people really just use their device for undemanding tasks like social media, web browsing, watching videos, or listening to music. They end up buying flagships that tend to have mediocre battery life. They would be a lot happier if their device traded off some performance for a much beefier battery.

There are a lot phones that offer such practical endurance these days. And they are more affordable than you might think. For example the Samsung M30s combines a 1080p OLED screen with 6,000mAh battery. It costs somewhere around USD 260

It also helps if you could link us to one or more sellers from which you are inclined to buy from. I'm not in/from Australia and do not know who offers a good selection or price.

Mainly looking for a better processor, higher battery capacity and possibly 5G support.

9 hours ago, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:

How much does lg g8 thinq go for in aud

It goes for about $800 AUD.

When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

10 minutes ago, Baos said:

True, will consider that, although it would be nice to have a higher capacity battery - the S9 is at 3,000mAh, whereas most new phones are past that already.

Mainly looking for a better processor, higher battery capacity and possibly 5G support.

It goes for about $800 AUD.

You can't get a better processor for that price, although you can take a look at the Xiaomi K30 5G which should be about $300. If you want to get a better chipset then the K30 pro comes with a sd865 with 5g connectivity(still unreleased).

5 hours ago, EL02 said:

You can't get a better processor for that price, although you can take a look at the Xiaomi K30 5G which should be about $300. If you want to get a better chipset then the K30 pro comes with a sd865 with 5g connectivity(still unreleased).

Managed to pick up the A90 for $584 AUD on eBay, thanks everyone for replying!

5 hours ago, Baos said:

Managed to pick up the A90 for $584 AUD on eBay, thanks everyone for replying!

No way! How?

13 minutes ago, EL02 said:

No way! How?

Here's the link if you're interested. I got lucky and checked OzBargain this morning to find this deal just got posted. It's the Telstra variant but is actually unlocked.

On 3/23/2020 at 2:32 AM, Quackwich said:

Get one of the Samsung midrange phones 

1 hour ago, Storm Master said:

Get one of the Samsung midrange phones 

He did.