Here's How YOU Can Help Find a Cure for COVID-19!

jakkuh_t

We show you how you can setup Folding@Home, a distributed computation project that allows you to donate your computer's processing power to help model protein dynamics to combat diseases like Parkinsons, Cancer, Huntingtons, and most importantly, COVID-19.

LTT Folding Team's Event Info: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1164541-ltt-folding-teams-emergency-response-to-covid-19/

LTT Folding Team Number: 223518

Get a Folding@Home Passkey: https://apps.foldingathome.org/getpasskey

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Only you will now have to wait at least a couple of days till new WU are going to be assigned... :) :) :)

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

5 minutes ago, Xsilent(X) said:

Only you will now have to wait at least a couple of days till new WU are going to be assigned... :) :) :)

It's only just because we COVID-19 folders are completing WUs faster than they can be made! :D Testament to the efforts of the people around the world.

More people means faster completions, even if it means some of us like you and I don't get any new WUs.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Might be worth mentioning that if you're making a dedicated rig you don't want to set it to only fold when idle, so that stuff like Windows updates doesn't interrupt folding.

Also that if you care about points avoiding pausing a running WU whether manually or because it's on "fold only when idle" or doing intensive stuff while running will give you much better scores. Better to start a WU and let it run to completion alone then pause (the "finish" button is there for that, finish current WU then pause) before doing intensive work/gaming. You'll get better scores, AND your other stuff won't be affected as much. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Can you run this on a laptop without damaging it? I'm new to computers and i've heard that doing stuff like this can damage it.

3 minutes ago, chainmail06 said:

Can you run this on a laptop without damaging it? I'm new to computers and i've heard that doing stuff like this can damage it.

It won't damage anything. Just make sure that temperatures are in check and is not overheating /throttling. All small bits help ❤️

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Hey guys, Folding@home (F@H) has so many people they can't push out work units fast enough because they just don't have them enough. Why not consider joining Rosetta@home (R@H) instead? Sure, R@H only does CPU work, but they do research on several critical diseases like HIV/AIDS, Cancer, Alzheimer's, Malaria and currently also COVID-19 and their work actually complements F@H because they each do two slightly different types of computations.

WHY?

Things done by R@H actually end up at F@H at some point because R@H is searching for eligible protein structures and F@H is actually finding out if those suggested potentially eligible protein structures can actually be folded. By doing R@H workloads you'll be giving F@H crunchers work. I've always been a huge R@H guy, so why not team up and do some complementary work. And LinusTechTips have a R@H team as well. More info below.

Rosetta@home

https://boinc.bakerlab.org/

R@H LinusTechTips Team:

https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/team_display.php?teamid=12242

Hey @LinusTech why not put those dual Xeons from the build in video on Rosetta@home project and leave those Titans on Folding@home ? Complementary work within same system. Just not sure if your circuit breakers can handle that lol.

Getting my VMware Server setup just waiting on getting my passkey

ERROR:WU01:FS01:Failed to start core: OpenCL device matching slot 1 not found, try setting 'opencl-index' manually

Manually, ouch, not sure I have the talent for that.  Had a little look around and it appears it may be in the 'Configure' + 'Expert' tab, which is way beyond me.

Anyone who knows of this and the fix, quote me please so I can see the response.

Thanks,

Does being SLI matter? As my GTX 970s are in SLI.

If that makes a difference let me know.  Going to try and update GPU drivers as 'Google' suggests that.

Its pretty cool that you are working with the F@H for server assstance.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

13 minutes ago, Dravinian said:

Does being SLI matter? As my GTX 970s are in SLI.

If that makes a difference let me know.  Going to try and update GPU drivers as 'Google' suggests that.

It won't use them in SLI, but you can have each GPU working its own slot where it will work on its own work unit independently.
If it doesn't show the two cards then open the Advanced Control and click Configure and go to the Slots tab. Add a new slot for the GPU and it should add the 2nd card.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

It shows both, but came up with the Open CL error, I have updated drivers...waiting to download a WU now and will see if that has fixed the problem.

2 minutes ago, Dravinian said:

It shows both, but came up with the Open CL error, I have updated drivers...waiting to download a WU now and will see if that has fixed the problem.

If you run GPU-Z it'll show whether or not OpenCL is properly installed & detected. Should have a little box down the bottom of GPU-Z that will have a checkmark in it if it's working properly.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Waiting for assignment :)

CRX Creations : Website | Cruxiaer : Flickr | Cruxiaer Photography : Facebook

Photography Rig:
Sony A7III | Sigma MC-11 | Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM | Sony FE 35mm F1.8 | Sony FE 90mm F2.8 G OSS
Audio Rig:
Massdrop Liquid Carbon X + SDAC | Sennheiser HD 800 S | Sony WH-1000XM3 | RØDE NT-USB | Sony WF-1000XM3
Workstation Rig:
Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Intel Core i7 9700K | NZXT Kraken X62 | Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Elite | Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3200mhz 8GB x4 | Gigabyte AORUS GTX1080 Ti | Corsair HX850i | Corsair MP510 480GB | XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB | Silicon Power A55 1TB | fenvi Intel AX200
Mobile Rig:
Level51 Forge 15 i7 9750H GTX1650 | Kingston Impact 2666mhz CL15 16GB x2 | SanDisk Ultra II 960GB | Intel AX200 | Logitech G603
Peripheral:
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless | Logitech G403 Wireless | Corsair MM200 | Logitech G240 | Audioengine A2+ White | Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD | Secretlab Omega 2018

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If you run GPU-Z it'll show whether or not OpenCL is properly installed & detected. Should have a little box down the bottom of GPU-Z that will have a checkmark in it if it's working properly.

Thanks, the box for OpenCL is ticked, so hopes are high.

I'm also waiting for an assignment. I'm folding with a 4th gen i5 and without a GPU, but it's better than nothing I guess.

5 minutes ago, KevinVH90 said:

I'm also waiting for an assignment. I'm folding with a 4th gen i5 and without a GPU, but it's better than nothing I guess.

Could you share the message you are getting that is 'waiting' just so I know I am just waiting and not getting any errors.

Thanks.

Just now, Dravinian said:

Could you share the message you are getting that is 'waiting' just so I know I am just waiting and not getting any errors.

Thanks.

20:45:34:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get assignment from '18.218.241.186:80': No WUs available for this configuration
20:45:34:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Could not get an assignment

Most likely an error message like that. The IP will vary depending on which server you're attempting to connect to.

Oh apparently, despite not appearing to do much, I did earn LTT Team 167 points, there you go guys, does that put you at Rank 1 yet?

Just now, Spotty said:

20:45:34:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get assignment from '18.218.241.186:80': No WUs available for this configuration
20:45:34:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Could not get an assignment

Most likely an error message like that. The IP will vary depending on which server you're attempting to connect to.

Thanks Spotty, that is what I was getting, was just worried about that 'for this configuration' message which had me worried that I had a config problem, but appears i am just waiting along with everyone else.

Oddly set it up on my laptop, and immediately got a WU.

Thought maybe, due to the processing power, that Laptops got different WUs.  Set it up on an identical laptop (a different one) and waiting for a WU with the same message.

Clearly just got a lucky packet.