Sudden Frame Drop

umbles
Go to solution Solved by umbles,
23 hours ago, Delacroixgaming said:

They are already to 100%.
But I guess I found the problem.

So, basically my gpu was giving me fake temps because the thermal compound was completely worn out.
I opened my gpu(Rog strix 1080), and I noticed what the hell was going on. 
So yeah, make sure you check the thermal paste, or get it checked by a professional.

Sometimes the solution is so obvious that it hurts.. Lol.

Pics for proof:

The card had basically zero contact with the cooler.

I still don't know why It was giving me fake temps, but now all is good.
Rock solid 45° celsius when I play, with fans at 100% cause Overclock. 

IMG_20200328_193144.jpg

IMG_20200328_193150.jpg

Nice! glad you were able to solve your problem. The fans solved our problem, we just made them more aggressive. JUST got done with a 2 and a half hour gaming session and having the fans at 90% was enough to prevent it from bugging out again. I might check his thermal paste on his GPU next time I see him in person as well though, since the temperatures are still off, we just set the fans more aggressive. 

So I play with a friend who has a 5820k OC to 3.8 (very light OC), 1080ti, 16gb ddr4 ram, SSD.

So we can play games for about an hour to an hour and a half, then suddenly his frames drop to 30fps from 75+.

It doesn't matter what game it is.

His Graphics card driver is up to date

We just updated his BIOS (which helped a little, it used to drop to 30 faster)

His graphics card is only at 70% use and 64 degrees

His CPU is generally at mid 80% use and only 54 degrees (including individual cores max temp)

I have him running a repair on windows, but I'm running out of ideas on what it could be, His system isn't taxed, it isn't a specific game, so not software. 

Any ideas?

-= Topic Moved to Troubleshooting =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

How's ram useage? That cpu is running really cool so is the gpu. What's the case your friend has? Could you list specs in detail like the psu, motherboard and maybe what ssd?

A good guess is that it might be an old windows install causing issues or maybe bad temp reporting/vrm heat issues in the case.

His ram usage is usually not above 10gb of his 16. My friend has the same case as me "Phantex Enthoo Evolv". Ill ask him what PSU he has, not sure on that one. His motherboard is an ASUS X99-a. Ill have to ask what SSD as well, not sure on that one

If it is an old windows problem, would the windows repair I have him running fix it?

so I just asked him, the SSD is a "sc3 apotop",  and the PSU is a "High Power 700w  80+"

I have the same problem, I changed my motherboard and cpu, but problem persists. 
My games run like crazy for 2 hours and then I lose 20 frames and everything is stuttery.
Even at 130 frames, my 144hz monitor shows heavy stutters..

1 hour ago, Delacroixgaming said:

I have the same problem, I changed my motherboard and cpu, but problem persists. 
My games run like crazy for 2 hours and then I lose 20 frames and everything is stuttery.
Even at 130 frames, my 144hz monitor shows heavy stutters..

that sounds just like what he describes :/

7 minutes ago, umbles said:

that sounds just like what he describes :/

And of course temps are great, cpu usage too and blabla.
This problem is driving me mad. 

OK, so Update. He can run the game, max graphics 1440 for about an hour, then it behaves as described before. Downgrading the graphics to low brings him to 55-60 fps (not quite the fps he had before, and not nearly the graphics, but better than the 30 before). So why when it's not showing it at 100% use during his max setting, nore getting above 70 degrees does it need to be lowerd to low graphics? We have uninstalled an reinstalled the drivers several times, temperature and load are showing low. any ideas?

Update again, even on low graphics, it's dropping slowly to 30 again. 

UPDATE (POSSIBLY SOLVED):  Ok so we got rid of the Aorus Engine software for his graphics card and got MSI Afterburner instead. Manually took the fans to 100% once it started happening again, and his frames started going back up again. So the temperature sensor in his graphics card must be off by 15 degrees or something, because my friend said he never heard his GPU fans before we manually put them at 100%. 

We were able to play another 20 min without it bogging down again (we got off, not because of performance, but because we had other things to do). 

I'll update this comment the next time we play to let you know for sure. 

Thankyou for the update...
Maybe my graphic card is getting too hot too, but it's showing 54 degrees max. 
I would love to find a solution for this.

18 hours ago, Delacroixgaming said:

Thankyou for the update...
Maybe my graphic card is getting too hot too, but it's showing 54 degrees max. 
I would love to find a solution for this.

Try just ramping the fan speed up manually too 100% like we did and see if that fixes it. We haven't had a chance to check for sure yet, but it would be worth a shot. If that does work, we plan to just make a very agressive fan curve, where we get to 100% when it reaches 60 degrees in our case, probably 50 in yours

So, basically my gpu was giving me fake temps because the thermal compound was completely worn out.
So yeah, make sure you check the thermal paste, or get it checked by a professional.

Pics for proof:

IMG_20200328_193144.jpg

IMG_20200328_193150.jpg

23 hours ago, Delacroixgaming said:

Pics for proof:

IMG_20200328_193144.jpg

IMG_20200328_193150.jpg

Nice! glad you were able to solve your problem. The fans solved our problem, we just made them more aggressive. JUST got done with a 2 and a half hour gaming session and having the fans at 90% was enough to prevent it from bugging out again. I might check his thermal paste on his GPU next time I see him in person as well though, since the temperatures are still off, we just set the fans more aggressive.