Samsung fans outside of North America petiton to stop selling Galaxy phones with the inferior Exynos chip

Source: 9to5 Google, Change.org

Samsung fans around the globe have decided to petition the Korean firm to stop using its own Exynos chipsets within their flagship Galaxy devices due to underperformance when compared to their Snapdragon counterparts. A petition titled “Stop selling us inferior Exynos phones!” on Change.org is steadily gaining traction that demands that Samsung gets rid of the Exynos chipsets in favor of the Qualcomm Snapdragon chips found in North American markets. Not only that, but the petition also suggests switching out Samsung’s own camera sensors in favor of those from Sony. One complaint that is regularly made with global Exynos devices is poor battery performance when compared to the North American Qualcomm counterparts. While you could easily suggest that this is anecdotal, tests have shown that, in most cases, this is often true — especially in the performance stakes.

We have had to accept this over many years over different iterations of the flagship phones. Every year we have hoped for Samsung to either give us the same device, or make their own parts perform on par with the competition. They have failed to deliver on these requests over and over again and the performance gap only seems to widen over time. In the age of transparency, it is time for a change and for us consumers to have the right to choose what we spend our hard earned money on.

Samsung, please hear us! We love your devices and want to be treated fairly, so that we can continue to enjoy them.

Please sign our petition, share it and write your message to Samsung below.

Here's a Youtube comparison and it shows that the Exynos S20 Ultra gets toasty and then thermal throttles, and it drains battery faster compared to the Snapdragon S20 Ultra. The SD S20 Ultra that uses a Sony sensor seems to take sharper photos, have more detail and better dynamic range compared to the Exynos S20 Ultra which uses Samsung's in-house ISOCELL sensor.

s20_exynos_990.JPG

s20_sd865.JPG

Even Android Central weighed in and based on their own testing, and once again the SD S20 Ultra is overall the better performer compared to the Exynose S20 Ultra. To be fair even Apple sourced their chips from two fabs, one their chips from TSMC and Samsung with the iPhone 6s. I think if I'm not mistaken Apple chips nowadays are manufactured by TSMC. I can't really speak for experience right now because it has been a long time since I've used a Samsung phone but my cousin is complaining that her Exynos Galaxy S9 pictures are often a hit or miss even in good lighting conditions. This may not be an issue for North American Galaxy S20 users but it might be for some outside especially that battery draining faster.

Edited by captain_to_fire

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I get that they want to be able to have enough phones for the whole global market... But at least pick two chips that perform exactly the same instead of getting an inferior alternative while pretending it's just as good.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Kaloob said:

I want Exynos to go back to it's former glory, they could even design a chip to compete with Apple's. Of course, I'd want them to bring them here, just like people did back in the day.

I definitely don't want them gone, Qualcomm needs competition.

I remember that when the Galaxy S6/S6 Edge launched, they've used their in-house Exynos chip for all models including the North American ones because the Snapdragon 810 back then is toasty and thermal throttles easily. I don't know what happened then.

This reflects an annoying pattern with Samsung: the more control it tries to have over every aspect of a phone, the worse that phone gets.  The chips are worse, the cameras are worse, the equivalents to Google apps and features are usually worse (hi Bixby).  It often feels like Samsung is trying to have Apple-like integration in its devices without the Apple-like talent needed to pull it off.

24 minutes ago, Commodus said:

This reflects an annoying pattern with Samsung: the more control it tries to have over every aspect of a phone, the worse that phone gets.  The chips are worse, the cameras are worse, the equivalents to Google apps and features are usually worse (hi Bixby).  It often feels like Samsung is trying to have Apple-like integration in its devices without the Apple-like talent needed to pull it off.

Which is BS. Samsung has one of the best engineers in the world and they even have their own state of the art chip foundry. It's hard to believe they just can't deliver it. Unless they are facing the same problem as Intel. They to have one of the best engineers in the world and own chip foundries and yet they are totally struggling now. Might be a pattern there...

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Which is BS. Samsung has one of the best engineers in the world and they even have their own state of the art chip foundry. It's hard to believe they just can't deliver it. Unless they are facing the same problem as Intel. They to have one of the best engineers in the world and own chip foundries and yet they are totally struggling now. Might be a pattern there...

To be honest, their hardware team is amazing, it's the software team I want to see being fed to sharks. I get that it's safer and that it's all objective, but after using Motorola and OnePlus phones Samsung ROMs feel like a shoddy parody and an unfunny joke, and you can't really do anything about it as Samsung makes it as hard as possible for the developers to create anything custom for their phones.

I've spent three years with a Samsung and it still feels and runs like new, but I'm happy to be ditching it in a few days as I'm replacing it with a last gen Pixel.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

With the Exynos chips, I believe part of the problem stems from Samsung's tendency to stick relatively closely to ARM's reference designs.  Qualcomm and Apple are more willing to customize their designs.

Exynos chips also suffer from poor driver support (I don't think this has changed recently) which means custom ROM's are often non existent or very problematic.

1 hour ago, Kaloob said:

The Exynos s7 was better than the Snapdragon version, aside from the GPU.

i still use one of those S7 Edge with Exynos. until they figure out a way to hide the hole punch i'm gonna run this phone to the ground. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I guess it can depend on generation. I have regular S6 and Exynos chip is still great. Samsung now works with AMD as far as graphics and it would be great if they'd customize their Exynos in a way Apple does and make big cores.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

The AMD partnership will happen next year. I'm also hoping they try to compete with the Apple chips. 

Oh yeah, need time to make a new custom chip, this will be very interesting to see with their colab. Definitely would be amazing if we'd see a more heavy custom approach as far as cores that's for sure.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

It's only really been recent they've fallen behind, people forgetting s8 (I think) exynos phone's also got way faster internal storage compared the sd variants.

yes it is slower multi core but single they look to be tied. I didn't realize most phone users render 3d models on their phone. but actually if it is battery life sure but some mutlicore performance on a phone that is silly.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

yes it is slower multi core but single they look to be tied. I didn't realize most phone users render 3d models on their phone. but actually if it is battery life sure but some mutlicore performance on a phone that is silly.

It’s not only battery life they’re complaining about. The Exynos S20 Ultra also thermal throttles easily and drains battery faster than the SD S20 Ultra. The S20 also takes sharper, more detailed photos than the Exynos S20. This is due to the fact that the SD S20 uses the superior Sony sensors whereas the Exynos uses the ISOCELL sensor. It also made me think Qualcomm has a better image signal processor than Samsung. 

12 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

It’s not only battery life they’re complaining about. The Exynos S20 Ultra also thermal throttles easily and drains battery faster than the SD S20 Ultra. The S20 also takes sharper, more detailed photos than the Exynos S20. This is due to the fact that the SD S20 uses the superior Sony sensors whereas the Exynos uses the ISOCELL sensor. It also made me think Qualcomm has a better image signal processor than Samsung. 

that is 1 model not every time they've done it

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

11 hours ago, Commodus said:

I agree for the most part. But samsung pay is amazing.

Being able to use it on any reader is great since alot of small shops near me dont have the google/apple tap thing.

1 minute ago, hishnash said:

this is legal reason of patents i'm not sure any petition will change it.

Petitions seldom actually change anything tbh.

10 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

I agree for the most part. But samsung pay is amazing.

Being able to use it on any reader is great since alot of small shops near me dont have the google/apple tap thing.

Yeah, Samsung Pay is good.  I'd also give Samsung some credit for having the better smartwatch option on Android -- in part because it's actually willing to put in some effort.  For now, Google is still taking the Microsoft-circa-the-2000s route where it expects a monopoly just for showing up.

On 3/22/2020 at 3:10 PM, That Franc said:

To be honest, their hardware team is amazing, it's the software team I want to see being fed to sharks. I get that it's safer and that it's all objective, but after using Motorola and OnePlus phones Samsung ROMs feel like a shoddy parody and an unfunny joke, and you can't really do anything about it as Samsung makes it as hard as possible for the developers to create anything custom for their phones.

I've spent three years with a Samsung and it still feels and runs like new, but I'm happy to be ditching it in a few days as I'm replacing it with a last gen Pixel.

Wait what? I hate the Motorola software. I see Samsung software having great ideas, but slightly buggy implementation. They just need to refine the coding... and stop getting distracted trying to jump on the next bandwagon, and *wait* till it's ready before releasing (both Samsung and Panasonic made this mistake with their Smart Speakers, having to recall/drop features/products... oh, and see Samsung release that final smart speaker? Nope, cos they never did XD ).

How about you just don't buy it,  buy something else instead, Samsung will stop making products if they aren't selling. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yes please get rid of exynos it is absolutely horrible

PC: Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200mhz RAM (8GBx2), Gigabyte B550M DS3H, GTX 1050 2GB, 650W Semi-Modular PSU80+ Gold

Phone: Poco F3 8GB + 256GB

Audio: Samson SR850s

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Play 4 USB sound card

IEM: planning to get the KBEAR KS2s
Please be patient with me, I'm fatally dumb and its honestly a miracle I've made it this far

This is a terrible petition and the people signing it doesn't know what they are talking about. 

1) Nobody gave a shit when Exynos was the best. Now, when Exynos hasn't been quite as good it's all of a sudden a massive deal? I get the hate for it this generation but a bunch of ignorant idiots hated on it last generation too when it wasn't even worse. Actually, the Exynos in the S20 seems to be significantly worse than the Qualcomm, but it's worth remembering that for 10 generations the Exynos has been competitive or better than Qualcomm's offerings.

2) Samsung has abandoned their M cores so within a generation or two they will be on par with Qualcomm again. The major problem has been the CPU cores, and since Samsung has removed that whole division they will go over to standard ARM cores just like what Qualcomm uses.

3) One of the main reasons why Samsung makes their own SoCs is to provide a counterbalance to Qualcomm during negotiation. Qualcomm has been increasing the prices of their SoCs every generation, and if it weren't for Exynos they would have increased at a more rapid phase (which would have been bad for everyone). When Qualcomm set prices for their SoCs they don't do it with Motorola or Xiamoi in mind. They do it with their largest customer in mind, which is Samsung. Samsung can and has threatened to abandon Qualcomm and go full Exynos during negotiations, which has more or less kept Qualcomm in check. If Exynos was to be abandoned, Qualcomm would essentially get a monopoly on Android SoCs, and they could set their prices however they want without any risk of their customers moving to another supplier. 

That's why Samsung has spent billions upon billions of dollars to create a chip that's just barely competitive with what Qualcomm offers, which aren't being used by anyone but Samsung, and that Samsung doesn't even use in all their phones.