Water cooled system is to cold!

Hi everyone!

So, I'm living in Montréal these days and I have a rather unusual problem. The owner of the building that I live in got tired of tenets complaining to the Régie du logement that the heat wasn't high enough, so he jacked up the heating system and now the building is to hot. So, to keep from melting, I have to leave my door next to my desk cracked open. However, as I said, I'm living in Montréal, which is an incredible place to live, but it's a tad bit cold here, (I'm originally from Los Angeles).

So I woke up this morning, switched on my rig and noticed that my CPU temperature was -5 c! I unplugged the radiator fans and my system is now idling @ +8 c. 

So my question is how much antifreeze should I add to my loop and is it dangerous to run at theses temps? My loop has a XSPC RX240, which is a 56mm thick radiator and I have about 400ml of water in the loop. There is no condensation on any of the system components, so I'm not worried about shorting out the motherboard as much as frying my pump if the water starts jelling and or totally freezing within the loop. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

zog

water_chilled!.png

@zogthegreatfirst of all use HWinfo64 to check the temps.  Whatever you using right now is not giving you proper reading imo.

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

Hi Whiro,

No, hwinfo64's readings match what System Monitor is saying. I turned off the fans on my radiator and put my pump on a fan controller to slow my flow rate. Than along with the fact that it has "warmed up" to a balmy -6 outside, my temps are above freezing. I also used my cheap laser thermometer and it is giving readings along with the the motherboard readings.

I'm going to try making a duct with some cardboard and try to funnel warm air from the buildings radiators to my system radiator to see if that helps.

If anyone knows how much ant-freeze I should add to my loop, please let me know. I don't want to crack my radiator like when a car radiator freezes and I don't want to fry my pump!

water_chilled-2.png

As far as I know running at those temps should be ok, that's what cooling's about in the end. It might have some issues booting perhaps at such low temperatures. Condensation is the main worry point I think.

How does your room get to (at least) -5, is the building insulated that badly?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Hi tikker, thanks for the advice, although I'm going partially solve the problem for the next few weeks by joining the forums folding@home team and leave my machine on over night. The heat from my CPU should be enough to keep my loop from freezing.

No, the problem is that my building is insulated to well and my apartment is small, so I have a choice of leaving the door by my computer cracked open or the window by my bed where my head is. This is my first winter in this apartment and I wasn't expecting it to be so hot in here.

Run Folding@Home, make your CPU the only active component, it'll never freeze ;)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Sorry I’m a noob to water cooling.

but is it not possible for the water in the loop to freeze solid? Then imagine ur motor turns on when u turn ur pc on and boom breaks.

On 3/22/2020 at 4:14 PM, zogthegreat said:

Since nobody seems to be willing to answer your actual question, here are some PC coolants that have freezing points below zero.

-7.9: aquacomputer DP Ultra

-10: Innovatek Protect IP, Phobya ZuperZero Clear

You can also pick up Mayhems Nuke XT-1 and use it at less than 10-fold dilution to achieve lower freezing points (1-in-10 = -5 degrees, 1-in-3 = -20 degrees)

56 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

but is it not possible for the water in the loop to freeze solid? Then imagine ur motor turns on when u turn ur pc on and boom breaks.

It is possible to freeze solid. This would crack open your GPU/CPU Blocks, tubes and reservoires.

You also should worry about your fittings. Those O-Rings are not designed to deal with such temperatures. They eventually get spriddle and you may experience some leaks in future. Keep an eye on that.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X | GPU: Vega 64   | RAM: 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z | Storage:  Samsung 850 / Corsair MP510  | Mainboard: ASUS X570 Prime Pro | Case: Fractal Define R6 | PSU: Corsair RM750i  | Cooling: Custom Waterloop

2 hours ago, The Torrent said:

(chuckle) I see that you live in the UK and don't know about Canadian weather! On the west coast we have Vancouver, where theweather is like in the UK, wet and grey for 10 months with maybe 2 months of sunshine for the whole year. Then you have the rest of Canada where you have 10 months of minus bazillion degrees of cold weather and two months of hot and humid weather! When you see steel shatter because of the cold, you realize that any thing can break because of freezing temperatures!

2 hours ago, For Science! said:

Since nobody seems to be willing to answer your actual question, here are some PC coolants that have freezing points below zero.

-7.9: aquacomputer DP Ultra

-10: Innovatek Protect IP, Phobya ZuperZero Clear

You can also pick up Mayhems Nuke XT-1 and use it at more than 10-fold dilution to achieve lower freezing points (1-in-10 = -5 degrees, 1-in-3 = -20 degrees)

Thanks For Science!  That's the information that I needed.

BTW, I love your tag!

7 hours ago, andrewmp6 said:

How cold is the room you keep the pc in ?

The room is actually about 16c/60f. That's with the door cracked open. The problem is that with the door open, the wind from outside blows straight onto my radiator!

door.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 3/24/2020 at 6:34 AM, zogthegreat said:

(chuckle) I see that you live in the UK and don't know about Canadian weather! On the west coast we have Vancouver, where theweather is like in the UK, wet and grey for 10 months with maybe 2 months of sunshine for the whole year. Then you have the rest of Canada where you have 10 months of minus bazillion degrees of cold weather and two months of hot and humid weather! When you see steel shatter because of the cold, you realize that any thing can break because of freezing temperatures!

BTW, I love your tag!

The room is actually about 16c/60f. That's with the door cracked open. The problem is that with the door open, the wind from outside blows straight onto my radiator!

door.jpg

How did your situation turn out? Did you move your computer so it wouldn’t get blasted with cold air?

Hi @avTronic

I "solved" this problem by moving my computer case to a shelf above my desk:

snow_cold.jpg.bc15bb4f0263357bcd155699dfa1bc5c.jpg

I also added a piece of wood to deflect the cold air that comes in through the open door. There is also a heater on the wall under the window, so the hot air from the heater travels up and helps keep things warm. Now my system temps are usually around 30c. The nice thing about having it here is that in the summer, my air conditioner is in the window below the shelf, so I get cool air to keep things from overheating.

nice new case too 🙂

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

Thanks @fonzz1e! The case is a Thermaltake Snow. It's a work in progress. I've been holding off completing the build because I needed a 3D printer, However, I now have a nice and shiny Ender 3 Pro, so now I can get back to work on my desktop case, along with several other projects that I have on the back burner:

Ender_3_Pro.jpg.cb10e02ba5c7c1a9c0487941907336dc.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2020 at 8:34 AM, zogthegreat said:

BTW, I love your tag!

door.jpg

I loved the Antec 1200 I had one for a very long time, that thing was a beast.

THOMAS

MSI Z490 CARBON FIBER  | i9-10850K@5.2Ghz @1.212v | ASRock OC Formula RX6900XT 16GB | 32GB G-Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz | Custom CPU and GPU Loop(EKWB, Bykski, Primochill) | EVGA Supernova P3 1200W | 2x 250GB Samsung 980 RAID-0 | 2x 500GB Samsung 870 EVO RAID-0 | 1x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 | 8x CM Sickle Flow 120mm Fans | Windows 11 64 Bit