Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
VegetableStu

GN special report on the state of PC Hardware Manufacturing (H1 2020)

Posted · Original PosterOP

The Lawyers Made Me Mention This: General discussion and chat related to COVID-19 are to be made in the official C19 thread

Abstract

When we left for Taiwan, the situation was only just developing in the US, and Taiwan had things very controlled, and still does. But things changed drastically in the West during the two weeks we were in Taiwan.

We spent some time gathering information on the ground as the situation developed, and learned that human malware has cost the industry millions and motherboards and video card production alone, and that's just the board partners.

source: Gamersnexus

in which Steve talks about:

• production and schedule delays; factories stopping work due to quarantine or stay-home orders
    • timestamp 3:38
    • primarily return staffing issues across the manufacturing chain
    • a few companies who has factories both in mainland china (large volume production) and taiwan (high-end product production) had to shift manufacturing back to taiwan
    • border immigration restrictions affected multinational design teams, especially when task requires attendance in-person 
  • journalism and product visibility downturn
    • timestamp 10:18
    • "one of the two CPU companies" had a press and industry day slated for march cancelled (gee i wonder which)
    • Computex has a high chance of cancellation or postponement
      (subject to organiser's discretion after industry advice, although announcement might be a lot closer to the wire since the organisers are part of the national tourism council)
  • consumer purchasing rush in context to PC hardware
    • timestamp 16:56
    • general advice to only buy parts when needed should hold first regardless of period and climate
    • personal finance should come foremost before a gaming PC
    • HOLY CRAP STEVE

it's been a slow 2020 so far ,_, and judging by the current situation, the entire PC hardware industry seem to have lost the first quarter of time to being responsible to their workers, their contractors and the immediate local populace. probably a good time to keep my mind off this side of the internet for a while, since everyone are cautiously trying to regain full manufacturing throughput again.

expect the worst, but keep hopes to what we could all do within our immediate reach ,_,

Posted · Original PosterOP
43 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

So the next generation of NVIDIA GPU's will literally cost a kidney, a testicle, and eye ball.

Reveal hidden contents

7s54yk04run31.jpg

whew, i thought I'd be short after spending an arm and leg on the other parts of the system

Well, hardware prices haven't fluctuated a lot over here.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.2Ghz          Case: Antec P8     PSU: G.Storm GS850                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition @ 2Ghz

Pricing will obviously change as a result of all of this. Hopefully many of you made your tech related purchases at the end of last year during all of the sales. During the crypto mining boom hardware prices were ridiculous and then they eventually returned to normal. So it will take some time but eventually things will get better. Unless you absolutely need something for work I’d hold off on anything you could just as easily do without.  

Yeah for hardware production it sucks, hopefully throughout the year the effects won't be really bad. Delays I can see, probably shortage in start too, though over time things should be back to normal. Hopefully prices won't go insane. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

On 3/21/2020 at 11:14 AM, TempestCatto said:

So the next generation of NVIDIA GPU's will literally cost a kidney, a testicle, and eye ball.

Hide contents

7s54yk04run31.jpg

Interesting to know that the heart is actually located in the stomach area, so that’s where farts comes, it’s  the extra air pumped by the heart. I also find it fascinating that kidneys are located in the knee caps. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list