My Corsair SF750 Power Supply died on me. Please recommend a Replacement?

Lester Chan

Original one died, could not power on. That happens when I try to switch on the PC and it trigger a surge. After that, my PSU is spoiled.

Changed a new surge protector, RMA the SF750. Replacement came, also died. This time round, the weird thing is I did not even switch on the PC when the power surge happens.

16 hours ago, Lester Chan said:

Original one died, could not power on. That happens when I try to switch on the PC and it trigger a surge. After that, my PSU is spoiled.

Changed a new surge protector, RMA the SF750. Replacement came, also died. This time round, the weird thing is I did not even switch on the PC when the power surge happens.

Something else is wrong if you had two PSUs in a row die.

What do you mean by "power surge".  You didn't even turn on the PC when the "power surge happens"? 

Can you clarify, because this makes no sense to me.

On 3/22/2020 at 2:46 AM, jonnyGURU said:

Something else is wrong if you had two PSUs in a row die.

What do you mean by "power surge".  You didn't even turn on the PC when the "power surge happens"? 

Can you clarify, because this makes no sense to me.

Exactly, I am also confused with what happen.

I didn't even switch on the PC, but it was plugged-in to the socket, so the default RGB lights on the AMD CPU fan is on, RAM RGB is on, etc. But the computer itself is off as in I did not press the power button to switch it on.

That causes 3 trips. On the 3rd trip, the lights disappear and I knew the PSU is spoiled.

3 minutes ago, Lester Chan said:

I didn't even switch on the PC, but it was plugged-in to the socket, so the default RGB lights on the AMD CPU fan is on, RAM RGB is on, etc. But the computer itself is off as in I did not press the power button to switch it on.

That causes 3 trips. On the 3rd trip, the lights disappear and I knew the PSU is spoiled.

This doesn't make any sense either as first, RAM RGB wouldn't turn on unless RAM are powered on and that implies that entire PC are powered on too. And second, 'that causes 3 trips' ? What does that mean ? Explain in details what do you mean by that and 'power surge' above.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 hour ago, Lester Chan said:

You're still not explaining what "trips" and "power surge" means?

Also, why because the RAM's RGB lights up while the PC is in standby do you think that's a PSU problem?

PSUs, when plugged in without the PC being "on", still deliver power.  It's called "+5V standby".   This is not a "power surge", if you think that's what the term means.

You should provide ALL of your hardware details (type of motherboard, RAM, etc.) and if you're using the cables that came with the Corsair PSU or are you using some aftermarket cables or cables from another PSU.

9 hours ago, Lester Chan said:

Do you mean that your house breaker is tripping and the power is going out? Just from having the system plugged in to the wall outlet in standby mode?

If that's the case then it's an issue with your house electrical wiring/breaker. Call an electrician.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

13 hours ago, Juular said:

This doesn't make any sense either as first, RAM RGB wouldn't turn on unless RAM are powered on and that implies that entire PC are powered on too. And second, 'that causes 3 trips' ? What does that mean ? Explain in details what do you mean by that and 'power surge' above.

12 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

You're still not explaining what "trips" and "power surge" means?

Also, why because the RAM's RGB lights up while the PC is in standby do you think that's a PSU problem?

PSUs, when plugged in without the PC being "on", still deliver power.  It's called "+5V standby".   This is not a "power surge", if you think that's what the term means.

You should provide ALL of your hardware details (type of motherboard, RAM, etc.) and if you're using the cables that came with the Corsair PSU or are you using some aftermarket cables or cables from another PSU.

I think my bad for using the word interchangeably. My assumption is that a power surge has happen and that causes my circuit breaker to trip.

Sorry I have double checked. The RGB is coming from the mobo itself without the computer being switch on.

1. I plugged my computer to the electrical outlet, the outlet is switched on (In Singapore, we have switches on the outlet).
2. I did not power on the computer, but there are RGB lights on the mobo
3. In the above state, it causes my circuit breaker to trip (and hence I assume it is power surge).

4. It trips for three times. For the first two times, the RGB on the mobo still came back on after I flip back the switch of the circuit breaker

5. On the third trip, when I I flip back the switch of the circuit breaker, the RGB on the mobo went off (PSU spoiled)

Computer Specs

• AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Impact
  • Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 2080 Super Twin Fan
  • G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-28800 DDR4 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39
  • Addlink S70 2TB NVME
  • SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB Internal SSD
  • Corsair SF750
  • Lian-Li TU150 ITX Black Casing
  • Arctic P12 PWM PST (Black/Black) Value Pack

I am not using any custom cables, all of them are from the box.

I went back to the shop and did a 1-1 for Seasonic Focus SGX 650W SFX Gold Modular PSU. It has been 3 days, and so far so good which makes me think is the SF750 issue (might be a batch issue).

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

Do you mean that your house breaker is tripping and the power is going out? Just from having the system plugged in to the wall outlet in standby mode?

If that's the case then it's an issue with your house electrical wiring/breaker. Call an electrician.

Yes. That is right. But it only happens when I plugged my new desktop in. No other equipments causes that. I have an iMac at home that works fine if I swap it out.

11 hours ago, Lester Chan said:

(might be a batch issue).

No.  There's no "batch" issue.

So you're saying that when you plug the new Seasonic PSU into the motherboard and flip the switch on the wall, there are no RGB lights on lighting up on the motherboard?

Let me ask you this:  When you flip the switch on the wall outlet to the "on" position, was the switch on the PSU already in the "on" position, or was the next ste to then turn on the PSU?

50 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

No.  There's no "batch" issue.

So you're saying that when you plug the new Seasonic PSU into the motherboard and flip the switch on the wall, there are no RGB lights on lighting up on the motherboard?

Let me ask you this:  When you flip the switch on the wall outlet to the "on" position, was the switch on the PSU already in the "on" position, or was the next ste to then turn on the PSU?

When I did a 1-1 swap with the Seasonic and flip the switch, there is RGB lightning from the mobo. I have been switching it on 24/7 for 2 days and did not encounter any power trip. I have now switched it off now but remains plugged in for a day (so far). RGB lights are still on and no power trip.

For the Corsair, when I flipped the switch to the on position, the PSU switch was already at the On position.

The reason I mentioned that it might be a batch issue is because both Corsair SF750 causes my house's circuit breaker to trip. After changing to Seasonic, it hasn't yet *touches wood*.

So I can deduce three things.
1. Removing all the power cables and re-plugging it in solves it (PSU change).
2. Batch problem with my shop's Corsair SF750 (???).

3. The difference in 750W vs 650W causes it to trip (unlikely).

15 minutes ago, Lester Chan said:

For the Corsair, when I flipped the switch to the on position, the PSU switch was already at the On position.

I said it's not a batch problem because you're the only person in Asia complaining about multiple SF750's failing.  😉

Ok... So I asked you about the switch on the PSU being on before turning the wall switch on.  That might have been the problem there.  What's normal is having the wall power on BEFORE you turn the power supply on.

I have no idea what the in-rush condition would be in the circumstances of having the PSU on and then turning on the power from the wall.

But that's neither here nor there if the Seasonic is working for you.

10 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I said it's not a batch problem because you're the only person in Asia complaining about multiple SF750's failing.  😉

Ok... So I asked you about the switch on the PSU being on before turning the wall switch on.  That might have been the problem there.  What's normal is having the wall power on BEFORE you turn the power supply on.

I have no idea what the in-rush condition would be in the circumstances of having the PSU on and then turning on the power from the wall.

But that's neither here nor there if the Seasonic is working for you.

Heh unlucky =(. I also can't RMA it, there is no RMA stocks in Singapore. Luckily it spoiled within a month and the shop was good enough to do a 1-1 for me.

Is that for the first time or subsequent times as well? Normally my PSU has always been at the "on" position and I just turn on the wall plug.

12 hours ago, Lester Chan said:

Heh unlucky =(. I also can't RMA it, there is no RMA stocks in Singapore. Luckily it spoiled within a month and the shop was good enough to do a 1-1 for me.

Is that for the first time or subsequent times as well? Normally my PSU has always been at the "on" position and I just turn on the wall plug.

Convergent is the distributor for Corsair in Singapore.  I don't know what "RMA stocks" means.  People usually take one back and are given another.  The bad one goes back to Taiwan.  Some stores only provide refurbs for RMA, but that's when they don't have a relationship with the manufacturer and/or it's an EOL product.

As for how unlucky you are, I had someone look this up:  Out of 288 SF750 PSUs that were shipped to Convergent four were returned.  And three of those didn't even come from Convergent (they bought outside of Singapore and then returned to Convergent).

It sure would be nice to know what store you bought the PSUs from and what the lot codes on those PSUs were.

15 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Convergent is the distributor for Corsair in Singapore.  I don't know what "RMA stocks" means.  People usually take one back and are given another.  The bad one goes back to Taiwan.  Some stores only provide refurbs for RMA, but that's when they don't have a relationship with the manufacturer and/or it's an EOL product.

As for how unlucky you are, I had someone look this up:  Out of 288 SF750 PSUs that were shipped to Convergent four were returned.  And three of those didn't even come from Convergent (they bought outside of Singapore and then returned to Convergent).

It sure would be nice to know what store you bought the PSUs from and what the lot codes on those PSUs were.

I called Convergent up to do an RMA, they told me they don't have the stocks for RMA as they have placed an order since Jan and because of COVID-19, there is no stock left for me to RMA. So they recommended me to do a 1-1 with the shop I bought from which is Dynacore https://www.dynacoretech.com/.

The one that returned might be from me for the initial set (returned from Dynacore)

• 3 weeks later...

Created an account just to say this, the exact same thing happened to me. My Corsair SF750 tripped my circuit breaker while in standby mode—pc was powered off—and it died afterwards. Did a paperclip test and it didn't power on, so it's officially dead.

Full context: This is my third Corsair PSU that died on me. First one was a one-year-old SF450 that died last year, managed to RMA at Convergent and they gave me a SF750 instead. The replacement SF750 tripped my breaker last week and died, so I bought a new one from Dynacore in desperation. My new SF750 arrived yesterday, worked out of the box, but tripped my breaker this morning in standby mode and subsequently died.

This is the last Corsair PSU that I'll ever use.

Edit: I also checked the fuse on the 3-pin plug on the power cable—it wasn't blown. I used it for a spare monitor I have lying around and it worked. So power cable aside, it's the PSU's problem.

Edited by Chucklenut
Furnished additional details

Just now, Chucklenut said:

This is my third Corsair PSU that died on me

This is not about Corsair PSUs then, any other PSU would die, there's smth wrong with your mains. @jonnyGURU

1 hour ago, Juular said:

This is not about Corsair PSUs then, any other PSU would die, there's smth wrong with your mains. @jonnyGURU

I don't think so. I swap to Seasonic 650 and it works fine after that.

It might not be a Corsair issue per say but it is more of a batch issue that the current stores or in particular Dynacore stock.

11 hours ago, Juular said:

Well, obviously Chucklenut only bumped the thread so he can voice his displeasure with Corsair products to the general population.... but let's be fair.

We have two guys, that have had two dead SF750's, in the tiny island country of Singapore.  There could actually be a "batch problem" with the units shipped there.

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Well, obviously Chucklenut only bumped the thread so he can voice his displeasure with Corsair products to the general population.... but let's be fair.

We have two guys, that have had two dead SF750's, in the tiny island country of Singapore.  There could actually be a "batch problem" with the units shipped there.

Hmm, i missed that they're both from Singapore, that explains it probably ...

It would be good if ANYONE can get a lot code off of any of these units.

Otherwise, we're just shouting into the wind.

Also, I just got licensed electricians over to check my electricity mains and my breaker. They're all healthy. I think that rules out problems with my newly constructed home.

As for serial numbers, I chatted with Lester privately and our SF750 serials:

• `19524863000067160085` (Lester)
  • `19524863000067160086` (mine)

Both bought from Dynacore in Singapore. Separate occasions.

@jonnyGURU I don't know what a lot code is, but Part Number is CP-9020186 / 75-003658

Edited by Chucklenut
More details

9 hours ago, Chucklenut said:

Also, I just got licensed electricians over to check my electricity mains and my breaker. They're all healthy. I think that rules out problems with my newly constructed home.

As for serial numbers, I chatted with Lester privately and our SF750 serials:

• `19524863000067160085` (Lester)
  • `19524863000067160086` (mine)

Both bought from Dynacore in Singapore. Separate occasions.

@jonnyGURU I don't know what a lot code is, but Part Number is CP-9020186 / 75-003658

Lot code is the common eight numbers at the beginning of the S/N.

Also note how your S/N and Lester's are only one digit off.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Also note how your S/N and Lester's are only one digit off.

So it is batch issue ...

9 minutes ago, Juular said:

So it is batch issue ...

That would be a reasonable take away.

Final update from me:

Bought a new Silverstone SX700-G PSU, plugged it in and everything works perfectly without a single hitch.

Glad to leave the Corsair nightmare behind. I never would have thought a premium PSU is capable of tripping a mains circuit breaker while on standby.