Gamestop claims they are essential retail and are staying open during lockdown

spartaman64

The struggling video game retail chain GameStop told all of its stores this afternoon to stay open even in the event of state or city lockdowns to protect against the covid-19 pandemic, emphasizing that it is “essential retail” alongside groceries and pharmacies and should therefore be exempt from enforced closures.

“Due to the products we carry that enable and enhance our customers’ experience in working from home, we believe GameStop is classified as essential retail and therefore is able to remain open during this time,” the retailer said in a memo to staff this afternoon, obtained by Kotaku.

“We have received reports of local authorities visiting stores in an attempt to enforce closure despite our classification. Store Managers are approved to provide the document linked below to law enforcement as needed.”

The document in question encourages police officers to call GameStop’s corporate headquarters if they have a problem with this policy.

The retailer said later this afternoon that it would be reducing hours, postponing all events, and suspending used game trade-ins until March 29.

source: https://kotaku.com/gamestop-we-can-stay-open-during-lockdowns-because-wer-1842415962

WTF they are delusional. Even without digital media theres no way you can argue that a game store is essential and with digital media this claim is even worse. I'm never setting foot in a gamestop ever again though I never really planned to anyways. Gamestop should receive huge fines for encouraging their employees to defy the law and authorities.

3 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

source: https://kotaku.com/gamestop-we-can-stay-open-during-lockdowns-because-wer-1842415962

WTF they are delusional. Even without digital media theres no way you can argue that a game store is essential and with digital media this claim is even worse. I'm never setting foot in a gamestop ever again though I never really planned to anyways. Gamestop should receive huge fines for encouraging their employees to defy the law and authorities.

A lot of states are going to levy huge fines on these places. Which honestly will probably be the final nail in the coffin for gamestop.

3 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

WTF they are delusional. Even without digital media theres no way you can argue that a game store is essential and with digital media this claim is even worse. I'm never setting foot in a gamestop ever again though I never really planned to anyways. Gamestop should receive huge fines for encouraging their employees to defy law authorities.

To me, this is a desperation move.  GameStop is already in serious trouble, and it knows that being forced to close stores could easily be the thing that tips it toward bankruptcy.  It would rather jeopardize the safety of staff and shoppers than admit it may need to take a financial hit.

Well, GameStop has a point, they are essential otherwise we will get bored to death, right? Right?! RIGH?!

Joking aside, it's inevitable. Businesses will suffer from financial hits and there is not much they and us can do.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Didn't Reggie fils-amie joined gamestop recently?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I mean I genuinely believe that if they stay open they'll lose more money than they will if they were to be closed. I mean in UK for now at least the GameStop equivalent CEX remains open, both their physical stores, and online as well.

37 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I mean I genuinely believe that if they stay open they'll lose more money than they will if they were to be closed. I mean in UK for now at least the GameStop equivalent CEX remains open, both their physical stores, and online as well.

But they will have already built up immunity to the entire human race working there.

You can't kill CEX, they are cyborg Cockroaches.

They were never alive to be able to be killed in the first place.

They were already surviving off the loot from the dead...

You take more risk with your health walking into CEX any other day of the week!

Ok, is that enough CEX jokes?

PS, wait, huh, how is this even a thing:

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail/?id=sssdsammmage08g5msp&categoryName=hard-drives-solid-state&superCatName=computing&title=samsung-mmage08g5msp-8gb-2.5"-sataii

8GB SSD from samsung??!?! 

2 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I mean in UK for now at least the GameStop equivalent CEX remains open, both their physical stores, and online as well.

I'm not sure I'd call CEX the UK-equivalent, we literally have a franchise called 'GAME' which I would say is more appropriate. Game are doing well for themselves in physical and online forms, at least. I can't confirm, but I believe the Game stores around my area are remaining open until Boris Johnson and his conservatives officially decide to have a say in what we should do instead of having their tails between their legs and giving us sweet nothings. But I digress.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

3 hours ago, williamcll said:

yea he did, and something tells me that he didn't agree with this decision but a majority vote was held and went ahead anyway.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

34 minutes ago, sowon said:

I'm not sure I'd call CEX the UK-equivalent, we literally have a franchise called 'GAME' which I would say is more appropriate. Game are doing well for themselves in physical and online forms, at least. I can't confirm, but I believe the Game stores around my area are remaining open until Boris Johnson and his conservatives officially decide to have a say in what we should do instead of having their tails between their legs and giving us sweet nothings. But I digress.

I used to have a GAME in my town as well but then they closed it, could be because the shop wasn't doing well, or they are in financial trouble.

2 hours ago, TechyBen said:

*snip*

I know they sell all kinds of weird tech stuff there. Also, is it just my local CEX or does it sometimes, if not always smell slightly funny in the shop?

Well if this doesn't make their company culture shockingly apparent I don't know what will. I stopped going to Gamestop years ago but I've gathered enough info to know they treat both their employees and their customers like trash. My guess is they were trying to stay a float long enough for the new consoles to release at the end of the year but this may be the final nail in the coffin if they face any monitory penalty for this.

What's the choice for their staff anyway, work and get paid or don't work and not get paid then not have a job to come back to.   The issue is not surprising when you look at the bigger picture.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, williamcll said:

I think it was like a week ago that he announced being on the board for gamestop.

2 hours ago, Founders said:

Well if this doesn't make their company culture shockingly apparent I don't know what will. I stopped going to Gamestop years ago but I've gathered enough info to know they treat both their employees and their customers like trash. My guess is they were trying to stay a float long enough for the new consoles to release at the end of the year but this may be the final nail in the coffin if they face any monitory penalty for this.

How come this trash store still isn't bankrupt if their employees and customers are treated like trash?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Re: are they delusional?  

think of it this way:  they own a GameStop.  They bought it.  With money.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Hey man, Funko Pop Cereal is an essential product

A girl who loves to love.

Doctors:

image.png.ddbce995395d994efb486f600f5bb4ea.png 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

game stop is officially open later than walmart

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

I had a preorder of Persona 5 Royal from them but cancelled like 8 days ago because I figured no way in hell they'd be open in a week much less on 3/31, and even if they were and I could get there no way I wanted to be in one of their stores right as the shit is hitting the fan in the US. The two clerks looked at me like I was crazy when I said there would be shutdowns, quarantines, and domestic travel bans by 3/31 when I got it refunded.

Sorry if Im a bit off topic, but I didn't believe the shelves at a super wal mart would be completely bare until I witnessed it first hand. Absolutely no meat of any kind, no bread, milk or paper towels.

Tonight my wife and I witnessed a group stockpiling an entire crate of bottled water into 4 shopping carts and a woman steal a 6 pack of tp from another persons cart when they weren't looking.

Disappointing.

7 hours ago, Founders said:

The used physical-media game retail market would almost cease to exist if they went out of business, so I can understand why there are people that patronize them as they operate in a very niche market. However, some years ago I took an XBOX 360 in there to trade in for something else. When I got up to the counter, the guy took it out of the bag I brought it in, plugged it in, verified its function, and told me he'd give me $11 for it. As shocking as that was, he went through the bag and noted I didn't have the A/V cable, and then he informed me that he'd give me $1 for the console as trade-in. I told him to pack it back in the bag and I left, never to spend a dime there again.

So on second thought, maybe they should go out of business.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

As much as I like physical game media over the terrible digital storefronts, I dislike Gamestop and wish something else would take it's place. But I'm with Gamestop on this. This outbreak is being massively overblown and thousands of people are losing jobs, and I'm sure lots of businesses are going to die or be severely hampered. I'm working at a restaurant where we can only do take-out orders. My schedule for next week has been reduced to 2 3 hour shifts from full time. At least it's something.

And why is everything closing earlier? Does the zombie virus spread faster in the dark?

#Muricaparrotgang

Just now, JZStudios said:

As much as I like physical game media over the terrible digital storefronts, I dislike Gamestop and wish something else would take it's place. But I'm with Gamestop on this. This outbreak is being massively overblown and thousands of people are losing jobs, and I'm sure lots of businesses are going to die or be severely hampered. I'm working at a restaurant where we can only do take-out orders. My schedule for next week has been reduced to 2 3 hour shifts from full time. At least it's something.

And why is everything closing earlier? Does the zombie virus spread faster in the dark?

Overblown?  Have you been watching the news?  Do you know how many dead people there are?  Have you seen the math?  Just let  the old folks die is an option I guess.  This thing is coring out cities.  Used to be the way cities worked 400 years ago.  One of the big advantages of rural life was less disease exposure.  The problem of course was that if the disease DID reach the countryside everyone in the countryside died because they were alone.  Lots of old books about that particular thing happening.  Just about any biography seems to include most of a rural family dying of some plague or other.  Dyptheria, whooping cough, Scarlett fever, the list goes on.  The cities are protecting the rural areas right now by slowing the spread with their bodies and lives.  We’re dying for you.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Essential?
Since when did they become "Office Depot" to support working from home?

They are about gaming stuff period or we'd be calling them "WorkStop" instead.

It's no wonder the company is already in deep financial trouble with boneheaded stupidity like this......

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.