Low FPS in COD warzone

I have a laptop (asus ga502) which has a ryzen 7 3750h and a 1660ti maxq edition. In COD warzone even at very low settings I'm only getting 45 -65 fps on average. It gets especially worse when I'm near lot of buildings. I've noticed that my cpu is always at 100% while playing and the clockspeed goes upto 3.3-3.5 ghz but the advertised speed in turbo is supposed to be 4 ghz. I feel that it's my cpu that's the problem. My friend with a 1650maxq and an i5 can comfortably run this game in 60-70fps and hence I don't understand why i am having such performance drops. I'm running all the updated drivers as of now. GPU temperatures are around 75 degrees while playing. Any ideas on what the issue is?

cpu temps? maybe it's throttling.

the advertised 4ghz is single core. if you're pushing all cores, it will clock lower, 3.5 probably.

i'd also double check again whether nvidia drivers are up to date and whether you're actually running the game with the nvidia gpu and not with the integrated amd gpu.

Check to make sure the drivers and firmware are updated. Reinstall the Nvidia driver with DDU using the game ready drivers.

Sounds like you're running the game on the Vega iGPU since the 3750H is more powerful than the i5 9300H

I was gonna post for the same issue ! I m new to this world(gaming laptops and  thermal throttling) so any guidance is much appreciated and I'll follow the line so where shoud I start ?

On 3/20/2020 at 7:05 PM, 5x5 said:

Check to make sure the drivers and firmware are updated. Reinstall the Nvidia driver with DDU using the game ready drivers.

Sounds like you're running the game on the Vega iGPU since the 3750H is more powerful than the i5 9300H

Sorry for the late reply. I've checked the nvidia control panel and the gpu for warzone is set to High performance nvidia processor. But i've noticed something strange. when i tried to disable the Vega graphics card in the device manager i cannot access the nvidia control panel, which shows an error saying "you are not currently using a dispay attached to nvidia gpu". In warzone ive turned on cpu time which shows 13-20ms and gpu time which is at a constant 9-10ms.

On 3/20/2020 at 6:59 PM, boggy77 said:

cpu temps? maybe it's throttling.

the advertised 4ghz is single core. if you're pushing all cores, it will clock lower, 3.5 probably.

i'd also double check again whether nvidia drivers are up to date and whether you're actually running the game with the nvidia gpu and not with the integrated amd gpu.

Sorry for the late reply.  I'm not sure how to check cpu temp since ryzen master does not work with my processor and i could not find it in MSI afterburner. I am running the latest nvidia drivers and in the nvidia control panel warzone is set to use high performance nvidia processor.

Edit: I've checked the cpu temps, it comes around 85-96 while playing. The operating temps are till 105 so i dont think its throttling.(checked using core temp).

Edited by IXMachina

On 3/21/2020 at 7:16 PM, ThirdLift said:

I was gonna post for the same issue ! I m new to this world(gaming laptops and  thermal throttling) so any guidance is much appreciated and I'll follow the line so where shoud I start ?

do you have the same laptop?

4 hours ago, IXMachina said:

Sorry for the late reply. I've checked the nvidia control panel and the gpu for warzone is set to High performance nvidia processor. But i've noticed something strange. when i tried to disable the Vega graphics card in the device manager i cannot access the nvidia control panel, which shows an error saying "you are not currently using a dispay attached to nvidia gpu". In warzone ive turned on cpu time which shows 13-20ms and gpu time which is at a constant 9-10ms.

The Vega iGPU is a passthrough. Whenever you disable that, you also disable the dGPUs ability to output a signal. Basically, in most lapyops, the iGPU controlls the display and the dGPU only does number crunching. Hence why the Nvidia control panel is super cut down. The dGPU has no real control over the display scaling and etc

4 hours ago, IXMachina said:

Sorry for the late reply.  I'm not sure how to check cpu temp since ryzen master does not work with my processor and i could not find it in MSI afterburner. I am running the latest nvidia drivers and in the nvidia control panel warzone is set to use high performance nvidia processor.

Edit: I've checked the cpu temps, it comes around 85-96 while playing. The operating temps are till 105 so i dont think its throttling.(checked using core temp).

96 is extremely hot for any CPU. The throttle point on these is 90*C so it should be going back to base clock. Clean the laptop and make. Sure you aren't clothing the air intake or exhayst

On 3/24/2020 at 11:42 PM, 5x5 said:

96 is extremely hot for any CPU. The throttle point on these is 90*C so it should be going back to base clock. Clean the laptop and make. Sure you aren't clothing the air intake or exhayst

the exhausts are on the right side and on the back. The air intake is below the laptop and there are rubber bumps which slightly raise the laptop for airflow below. As far as i know none of these are getting blocked. Is there anything specific i can do to reduce the temps?

24 minutes ago, IXMachina said:

the exhausts are on the right side and on the back. The air intake is below the laptop and there are rubber bumps which slightly raise the laptop for airflow below. As far as i know none of these are getting blocked. Is there anything specific i can do to reduce the temps?

Clean the heatsink and fan, apply new thermal paste - preferably good paste like Thermal Grizzle Kryonaut (not LM - that ruins the cooling)

On 3/24/2020 at 3:03 PM, IXMachina said:

do you have the same laptop?

yesss I have the same laptop with the same config and i m facing the same issues

I have the same laptop, and recently began experiencing similar issues. My laptop was purchased less than 2 months ago. My temps for cpu never go above 83°C and gpu stays around 68°C. I also get cpu usage spikes, which is when my usual 140 fps (in COD Warzone on lowest graphics) drops to 10. I don't know how it could be throttling. The fps drop occurs every 10-15 secs and happens in Fortnite as well.

I have done some testing using msi afterburner and found that Gpu1 stays around 75-80°C, Gpu2 stays under 70°C, and the Cpu temp still never goes above 83°C. Gpu2 usage often reaches around 97% usage. That is when the cpu usage spike occurs, and Mhz drops an incredible amount. Idk how there could be a cpu bottleneck. Plz correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Gpu1 is the integrated graphics since it has a similar temp to the cpu. Each usage spike/fps dip has actually been happening every 3-5 secs (not 10-15).

10 hours ago, Richie9 said:

I have done some testing using msi afterburner and found that Gpu1 stays around 75-80°C, Gpu2 stays under 70°C, and the Cpu temp still never goes above 83°C. Gpu2 usage often reaches around 97% usage. That is when the cpu usage spike occurs, and Mhz drops an incredible amount. Idk how there could be a cpu bottleneck. Plz correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Gpu1 is the integrated graphics since it has a similar temp to the cpu. Each usage spike/fps dip has actually been happening every 3-5 secs (not 10-15).

Have you updated the bios in the update manager in armory crate? Btw what bios version do you have and what drivers are you using? I'm not getting anywhere near 140fps

14 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Clean the heatsink and fan, apply new thermal paste - preferably good paste like Thermal Grizzle Kryonaut (not LM - that ruins the cooling)

Thank you I'll try doing that.

My bios version is 208. I also used Turbo mode while testing, since that is what I'll be using while gaming. Does the Asus Download Center even have support for this model?

I think I found my problem at least. My extra cpu usage is caused by the strain of running graphics on not only the gpu, but the cpu itself. I don't know how to use only my graphics card and not the integrated cpu graphics when gaming. *This is how I figured out what was happening... Open task manager and click on the "performance" tab and look at the "GPU 0" and "GPU 1" usage (in %). Go into your game and see if both of them are in use. If your cpu usage isn't the problem, there shouldn't be a need to tamper with the gpu settings for this reason.

Hi guys, I also have an asus ga502 and have been experiencing similar problems earlier today, but I found a solution. Heres how to switch what gpu is used for each program (the "switching to the dedicated nvidia gpu" section). I should probably reapply thermal paste like someone else commented, but this fixed the majority of the stuttering, low fps, and high cpu issues I had been facing. 

https://support.ubisoft.com/en-gb/faqs/000027100/Switching-to-the-laptop-s-dedicated-GPU/

14 hours ago, Richie9 said:

My bios version is 208. I also used Turbo mode while testing, since that is what I'll be using while gaming. Does the Asus Download Center even have support for this model?

The latest bios version is 300 try upgrading to that.

How do I update the bios without this model listed in Asus Download Center?

I updated the bios and that helped a lot with my overall fps, but I still have occaisional frame drops in COD Warzone. It's not nearly as bad as it was before. I have changed settings in the nvidia control panel that are supposed to make the games use a specific gpu, but both are still running for some reason. My integrated graphics seem to be doing more work than my dedicated gpu. Should I just straight up disable it in the device manager?

I am now thermal throttling, so I'll have to reapply thermal paste. Any recommendations?

14 hours ago, Richie9 said:

I updated the bios and that helped a lot with my overall fps, but I still have occaisional frame drops in COD Warzone. It's not nearly as bad as it was before. I have changed settings in the nvidia control panel that are supposed to make the games use a specific gpu, but both are still running for some reason. My integrated graphics seem to be doing more work than my dedicated gpu. Should I just straight up disable it in the device manager?

The igpu will always work because it is directly connected to the monitor. Your nvidia GPU will do the calculations and send it to the igpu, the igpu then processes it and displays it to your monitor. Therefore disabling it will not help you in anyway and that is why you always see a load in your igpu.