option to turn off the display of users' pfp and other things

zassou

so, i want to turn off the display of profile picture or avatar. and it's a pretty quirky thing that probably most ppl find it weird and first-world-problem-y, but please hear me out, if you will.

i often put off by some forum members' pfp/avatar, when i trying to write something: partly because i don't like certain style of gif, especially the moving kind, i think this applys to a lot of ppl too.

the real issue is, i have problem looking at faces, especially those are looking straight at me, it's called scopophobia, fear of being stare at.

often i feel somewhat uneasy when someone is looking at me irl, and i try to avoid eye contact as well. i often turn my head away when watching a video, especially the talking head kind, eg techquickie, when linus staring at the camera, i will turn my focus away. but this is much minor compared to static portraits.

but that's nonsense compared to the real reason, when i dislike a person's pfp, i will less likely to compose a serious reply to them, and makes me wanna block them, which is kinda abusing the system -- blocking someone only because you dont like their pfp choice is silly. and i don't really want to use adblock on pfp too, because that probably wont work in the long run(as web cache updates), and its not working on phones too as i use a vpn-ish software 24/7.

====

other than that, these are things for improving general readability:

1. toggle the display of badges, and titles; but not moderator text etc.

2. i like the alternating bg colour in thread list, i hope it can apply to replys as well

3. ability to adjust text size w/o zooming, one thing i hate old school forums is how small the text sizes are. as they are designed for crt era's sub 20" monitors and not much changes are made as displays getting bigger and wider.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

So you are basicly looking for minimalistic forum theme.

To 3rd, thats up to your browser and OS settings. It would make very little sense to change it within forum. Would mess up things with custom font sizing too.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Supporting any sort of toggling or configuration would require a fair amount of work, so I'm afraid it's not something that will happen unless a lot of people want it (and I don't think that is the case). If you know (or are willing to learn) CSS, you could probably make a user style to achieve what you're looking for though.

HTTP/2 203

Adding, there are also browser addons to limit loading of pictures. Its even baked-in option with mobile browsers.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

At first I was like - this has to do with the birb, but then I was like - and me too!

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

2 hours ago, Tristerin said:

At first I was like - this has to do with the birb, but then I was like - and me too!

@Tech_Dreamer @DildorTheDecent i blame you guys

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

17 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

okay, maybe blame the dildo dude, he's the true index case on this particular forum epidemic.

1529797494945.gif.3c200740f937b45a04501dfd010317f4.gif

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III