Business shut-down question.

RGBisKey

Hi all, I live in Pennsylvania and as of yesterday all non "life sustaining" businesses are required to be closed. I work in the HVAC industry and my company is fighting it by saying we occasionally sell a part to a hospital. My question is will this hold up as an excuse to still operate? Will I need to prepare to get sick? I'm at an increased risk of the virus due to asthma and my mother who I see every day is at an extremely high risk. I dont expect to find any experts here but I need to know what to prepare for. Thank you all.

2 hours ago, RGBisKey said:

Hi all, I live in Pennsylvania and as of yesterday all non "life sustaining" businesses are required to be closed. I work in the HVAC industry and my company is fighting it by saying we occasionally sell a part to a hospital. My question is will this hold up as an excuse to still operate? Will I need to prepare to get sick? I'm at an increased risk of the virus due to asthma and my mother who I see every day is at an extremely high risk. I dont expect to find any experts here but I need to know what to prepare for. Thank you all.

I really cannot stand these businesses who feel they are an exception to the rules during this crisis, just so they can get ahead of their competition. We have a few businesses here in KY who are doing the same thing. It would be nice if they would do the right thing.

I guess they do (kind of) have a point if it's 20 degrees outside and the little old lady down the street doesn't have heat...However, there is no reason why they need more than an emergency 'skeleton' crew to deliver emergency parts. I'm not a legal expert though...

2 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

/r/legaladvice?

I didn't even think of posting there really. Might give it a shot. Thanks

2 hours ago, steelo said:

I really cannot stand these businesses who feel they are an exception to the rules during this crisis, just so they can get ahead of their competition. We have a few businesses here in KY who are doing the same thing. It would be nice if they would do the right thing.

I guess they do (kind of) have a point if it's 20 degrees outside and the little old lady down the street doesn't have heat...However, there is no reason why they need more than an emergency 'skeleton' crew to deliver emergency parts. I'm not a legal expert though...

Well the state is in agreement that we are "life sustaining" that means a full crew of 50+ workers showing up for more than 8 hours a day with deliveries constantly going in and out of our doors. The only way we are going to shut down is if/when one of our crew gets the virus. That or if business becomes so slow that it costs more to keep us at work doing nothing than to send us home. All I can do now is prepare to get sick and pray that I don't transmit it to my mother.

Aye glad to have someone else here from PA!

HVAC, imo, is essential to supporting life. My dad works in a nursing home and there are very strict federal guidelines on how hot and cold a resident's room can get. Any thing below or above a certain threshold (don't remember it and too lazy to google it) requires the evacuation of said residents.

Here's a link to an article that contains a PDF of businesses that are required and not required to close: https://www.wfmz.com/news/state/wolf-orders-all-non-life-sustaining-businesses-in-pa-to/article_cd2de4cb-4df0-5886-9998-d7ef265e43d6.html

It looks like the manufacture and sale of HVAC equipment is still allowed, so you guys might be okay.

2 hours ago, steelo said:

And another thing is it's the beginning of spring here. Literally the most mild time of year in terms of temperature. Its 50⁰F here pretty much daily. The world existed before heating and AC...... theres a difference between life sustaining and comfort sustaining and that line is very blurred at the moment.

6 minutes ago, RGBisKey said:

Well the state is in agreement that we are "life sustaining" that means a full crew of 50+ workers showing up for more than 8 hours a day with deliveries constantly going in and out of our doors. The only way we are going to shut down is if/when one of our crew gets the virus. That or if business becomes so slow that it costs more to keep us at work doing nothing than to send us home. All I can do now is prepare to get sick and pray that I don't transmit it to my mother.

IMO, your business should be in a 'ready' state and only respond to emergencies. This doesn't mean business as usual. If one of your employees contracts the virus, your entire office could easily pick it up...not to mention, put other people at risk.

At least in my state, even utility companies have minimal staffing and they are considered to be 'essential' 

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

Aye glad to have someone else here from PA!

HVAC, imo, is essential to supporting life. My dad works in a nursing home and there are very strict federal guidelines on how hot and cold a resident's room can get. Any thing below or above a certain threshold (don't remember it and too lazy to google it) requires the evacuation of said residents.

Here's a link to an article that contains a PDF of businesses that are required and not required to close: https://www.wfmz.com/news/state/wolf-orders-all-non-life-sustaining-businesses-in-pa-to/article_cd2de4cb-4df0-5886-9998-d7ef265e43d6.html

It looks like the manufacture and sale of HVAC equipment is still allowed, so you guys might be okay.

Yeah we just got the news not too long ago that we are all clear to keep operating. All I can do now is prepare to get sick and do everything I can to not spread it.

1 minute ago, steelo said:

IMO, your business should be in a 'ready' state and only respond to emergencies. This doesn't mean business as usual.

That would also be a better alternative in my eyes. My company has very loose rules relating to helping stop the spread too. And nothing is really being enforced.

2 minutes ago, RGBisKey said:

That would also be a better alternative in my eyes. My company has very loose rules relating to helping stop the spread too. And nothing is really being enforced.

Sounds like they aren't taking this seriously, or they just don't care. This is quite unfortunate because it potentially prolongs this crisis for everyone and places susceptible people further at risk.

Just now, RGBisKey said:

Yeah we just got the news not too long ago that we are all clear to keep operating. All I can do now is prepare to get sick and do everything I can to not spread it.

If you feel you're at a higher risk, I'd talk to your higher-ups about it. If that means you're out of work for a few weeks, that might suck but, it's better safe than sorry. I'm currently down to a max of two days per week I'm allowed to work (school custodian). We're just sanitizing our building really. It sucks. If school stays closed all the way till summer, at least my crew and I will have plenty of time to rewax all the classroom floors.

Just now, steelo said:

Sounds like they aren't taking this seriously, which is quite unfortunate because it potentially prolongs this crisis for everyone and places susceptible people at further risk.

As I said in the original post my mother is very high risk. She can only take advantage of about 50% of her lung capacity on a good day with 2 inhalers. With no inhalers its about 30%. I dont want to be the one responsible for her getting sick. It makes me so anxious.

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

If you feel you're at a higher risk, I'd talk to your higher-ups about it. If that means you're out of work for a few weeks, that might suck but, it's better safe than sorry. I'm currently down to a max of two days per week I'm allowed to work (school custodian). We're just sanitizing our building really. It sucks. If school stays closed all the way till summer, at least my crew and I will have plenty of time to rewax all the classroom floors.

My wife is a clinical research nurse which is not considered to be 'essential'. The governor had to ORDER their department to close and even then they are doing a piss poor job of transitioning to work-from-home.

I'll repeat, I cannot stand these businesses who believe they are an exception to the rules.

1 minute ago, RGBisKey said:

As I said in the original post my mother is very high risk. She can only take advantage of about 50% of her lung capacity on a good day with 2 inhalers. With no inhalers its about 30%. I dont want to be the one responsible for her getting sick. It makes me so anxious.

I would definitely bring this up with your supervisor. I can't see anybody faulting you for this.

2 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I definitely feel as though I'm at higher risk. It may end up to the point where I just have to take the time with no pay. Because my company isnt forced to be closed i wont be getting any help from the government on lost pay either. I'm stuck in between a rock and a hard place.

1 minute ago, steelo said:

I would definitely bring this up with your supervisor. I can't see anybody faulting you for this.

If procedures around the building dont improve it's most likely going to have to come to that point. No matter how badly I dont want it to.

14 minutes ago, RGBisKey said:

I definitely feel as though I'm at higher risk. It may end up to the point where I just have to take the time with no pay. Because my company isnt forced to be closed i wont be getting any help from the government on lost pay either. I'm stuck in between a rock and a hard place.

Can't blame you. I'll state the obvious though...wash your hands incessantly every 15 minutes and ensure that you keep your distance from everybody.

I would almost feel obligated to anonymously notify city officials about their lax procedures. Everybody must do their part and it absolutely isn't right that they are essentially putting your mothers life in danger.

29 minutes ago, steelo said:

Can't blame you. I'll state the obvious though...wash your hands incessantly every 15 minutes and ensure that you keep your distance from everybody.

I would almost feel obligated to anonymously notify city officials about their lax procedures. Everybody must do their part and it absolutely isn't right that they are essentially putting your mothers life in danger.

I didnt even think of notifying city officials. That might be a good idea if things dont improve.

28 minutes ago, RGBisKey said:

I didnt even think of notifying city officials. That might be a good idea if things dont improve.

Yeah, because the way you make it sound they feel they are an exception to the rules. On top of that, they aren't taking this seriously thus putting lives in danger.