Netflix cut streaming quality in Europe

porina

Netflix will reduce the streaming quality of its service in Europe for the next 30 days.

The move is aimed at reducing the strain on internet service providers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51968302

The European Commission  is putting pressure on Netflix  and other streaming platforms to switch to standard definition during periods of peak demand as the coronavirus crisis puts unprecedented load on Internet infrastructure.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/19/keep-calm-and-switch-to-sd/

This makes you think, just how good or bad are the net connections out there? I don't mean us end users complaining about paying too much to get too little, but the system infrastructure as a whole. Is it bad enough that the EC needs to ask content providers to cut back on the data? Wouldn't ISPs already be managing this anyway? It certainly is an interesting time right now. 

I can only say that so far, as I'm working from home in the UK, I've not experienced any noticeable changes in net performance at any part of the day. For business or pleasure.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

This makes you think, just how good or bad are the net connections out there?

i live in the netherlands in a small village about 20km ( or 2 other towns) away from the nearest highway, so pretty much in the middle of nowhere and i can get a 500/500 fibre connection for a relatively speaking low amount of money. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Twilight said:

i live in the netherlands in a small village about 20km ( or 2 other towns) away from the nearest highway, so pretty much in the middle of nowhere and i can get a 500/500 fibre connection for a relatively speaking low amount of money. 

Wish I could get that here. Can I ask how much that costs?

As mentioned in my post, I wasn't thinking so much about the user connections, as the implications were that the wider infrastructure was under strain, perhaps at peak periods only. If that is not the case, then cutting data wont actually make much difference.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I'm curious if this 'concern' has came from anyone who actually knows anything. Other than Netflix, who are probably shitting themselves that their own infrastructure isn't up to scratch.

Or if it's another 'what if' panic from people who know fuck all. 

If they can cope with Christmas, they can cope with this. 

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

3 minutes ago, porina said:

Wish I could get that here. Can I ask how much that costs?

500/500 on my current ISP will cost €65,95 per month

She/Her

I ask, does steaming really need to at 4k? No. I have a UHD capable TV but HD looks just fine to me.

Most people dont have access to anything but DSL speeds so this move makes sense.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

maybe what an idea, ISPs should request more open connect boxes.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

10 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

I am a typical UK broadband user - my service is Fibre to the cabinet and then ADSL broadband via DSLAM and copper pair for the last 50 yards to my home. Speeds are about 46d 7u for me. This is not the ideal speed i'd get as the copper pair i'm on has about +7v leakage to earth on it which will be introducing noise and reducing the bandwidth the broadband can operate on. I'm not pulling those figures out of my ass, i work as a field tech for my ISP and i have systems to measure this shit.

Interesting stuff. If you had a "good" line, what could you get? Is it within your responsibility to fix it or does it lie elsewhere?

Some lines in the UK are still straight ADSL although these have almost all been upgraded to HDSL or VDSL now. Fibre to the premises is not widely available here and commonly the fastest speeds are through Virgin Media with Co-Ax into your premises.

Yup, on VM (since NTL days) and currently on their 360/36-ish service. Would like a bit more upload though. Hate the way they run so asymmetric, worse than DSL typically.

There's some insight for you all.

Any insight on infrastructure capacity? I wonder if that's where these measures were more targeted at. In other words, where's the bottleneck in the internet?

Edit: just saw your later reply covering this.

10 minutes ago, wANKER said:

I'm curious if this 'concern' has came from anyone who actually knows anything. Other than Netflix, who are probably shitting themselves that their own infrastructure isn't up to scratch.

Or if it's another 'what if' panic from people who know fuck all. 

That's a more straight way of asking the question I tried to. Who decided to do what, when? Will other major streaming operators follow? Or is Netflix so big they themselves will make the biggest difference?

7 minutes ago, Twilight said:

500/500 on my current ISP will cost €65,95 per month

Nice. That's a bit less than I'm paying for 360/36, but mine is a bundle and I have to have a phone line and TV package I don't use.

6 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I ask, does steaming really need to at 4k? No. I have a UHD capable TV but HD looks just fine to me.

It was a long time ago, Linus did make a point that viewing YouTube on 4k setting even on a 1080p display looked better from the extra bitrate. I don't know how many people actually do that. I mainly watch YT on a 1080p display, where it usually defaults to 720p if I don't intervene. About the only time I do increase it is if it drops to 360p for no apparent reason. I also use Prime but have no idea what settings that uses. It's "good enough".

"Standard" definition.... So 480P? Yeah I'm sure that's going to look great on a 55" TV. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

11 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Most people dont have access to anything but DSL speeds so this move makes sense.

people with dsl speeds wont watch 4k content then and people with better would watch whatever they like? i dont see why 4k users should be downgraded just because someone else cant watch 4k

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

18 minutes ago, Twilight said:

I'm in the Irish Midlands in a village, and you can get 1000/250 fibre here for €55 a month. First 6 months of the contract are €25 as well.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

2 minutes ago, Neftex said:

people with dsl speeds wont watch 4k content then and people with better would watch whatever they like? i dont see why 4k users should be downgraded just because someone else cant watch 4k

Good point

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

did that happen in the 3 days the irish became productive after the pubs closed?

jokes aside, they really ought to get on with that over here because we are embarassingly far behind

It did, we also developed a COVID 19 test that gives results within 15 minutes.

I'm lucky because my company covers most of the cost of my broadband bill also; since I work from home :D

1 minute ago, yaboistar said:

it's amazing what father jack can do when he sobers up (i love my brick)

The lack of cleaning fluids tends to really open up the synapses.

38 minutes ago, porina said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51968302

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/19/keep-calm-and-switch-to-sd/

This makes you think, just how good or bad are the net connections out there? I don't mean us end users complaining about paying too much to get too little, but the system infrastructure as a whole.

I would expect infrastructure to be built on medium-run levels of "typical" usage, including infrequent but recurrent peaks. Some more critical services may be oversized (although, in many places I'd expect not even), but consumer internet, not likely.

Building and maintaining an infrastructure that 80% of the time isn't used to 80% of its capacity is expensive. Building and maintaining infrastructure that will only reach 80% usage in world catastrophe scenarios... is just too much, even more so if handled by private companies. And  you have to factor that government, military, etc, will want their own backups, whether on separate infrastructure or by reserving part of the common's capacity...

26 minutes ago, Neftex said:

It's not because someone else can't watch 4K; it's more likely related with how many people can watch 4K, how many do so simultaneously, and whether connection providers may eventually throttle Netflix on "exceptional circumstances" grounds if it doesn't self-restrain to some extent.

Can't blame Netflix. They are built around being able to supply a reasonable demand. The whole world engaging in social distancing and self isolation is not a reasonable thing to expect them to be prepared for. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Can't blame Netflix. They are built around being able to supply a reasonable demand. The whole world engaging in social distancing and self isolation is not a reasonable thing to expect them to be prepared for. 

Because expecting a service you're paying for to work is kinda their job. I'm paying, they should be delivering. Unless everyone is overselling their capabilities and when people want to use what they are paying for, we're suppose to be getting SD instead of Full HD? Yeah, how about go F yourself Netflix? It's already bad enough that it's really 720p in browser even though I'm paying for Full HD and they'd be pulling this crap? Nope.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Because expecting a service you're paying for to work is kinda their job.

Except their service is working. When a grocery store runs out of food you don't yell at the manager, you yell at the people who bought 50 bags of bread all at once. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

so will they also refund the people who pay for standard and premium and above streaming. Cause if not i want an antitrust against Netflix 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

33 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Because expecting a service you're paying for to work is kinda their job. I'm paying, they should be delivering. Unless everyone is overselling their capabilities and when people want to use what they are paying for, we're suppose to be getting SD instead of Full HD? Yeah, how about go F yourself Netflix? It's already bad enough that it's really 720p in browser even though I'm paying for Full HD and they'd be pulling this crap? Nope.

Well I can't really blame them, I doubt they anticipated to have that many users at once all at home streaming in 4k. I'd rather downgrade to SD and still have the service work than not at all.

If the ISP can't provide all of their customers with the bandwidth stated in their plans...shouldn't the EU be going after them instead of streaming services?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Soooo will I get my money back? 

Standard subscription is like 7,99 and I pay 15,99€ for the UHD one and now I don't get UHD anymore? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

57 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

If the ISP can't provide all of their customers with the bandwidth stated in their plans...should the EU be going after them instead of streaming services?

Something tells me that regulators really aren't worried about pushing ISPs to upgrade their networks so that you can watch Netflix in 4K during a pandemic.  This is a solution they can implement much sooner, and makes more sense for a once-in-a-lifetime temporary situation.

Currently it's just a recommendation from EU Internal Market Commissioner Thierry Breton for users to lower their own streaming quality when HD is not necessary. Breton did have a phone call to Netflix CEO Reed Hastings where they did talk about the possibility for Netflix to do it automatically during high traffic hours. Nothing is done or even decided to be done.

At least in Finland there is a problem with "internet infrastructure" getting overloaded now that those who can do their work from their homes. But the problem isn't that the backbone or even the switches or access points getting overloaded, it's that people forget to switch from their work connection back to their own and manage to overload their workplaces VPN tunneling. Finnish Governments ICT-provider, Valtori, has told that they have had at most 30 000 users with remote access (source in Finnish) and they have needed to cut access to YLE Areena (Finnish national broadcast companys streaming service) and YouTube from remote users to fight the overloading of their tunneling.

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Except their service is working. When a grocery store runs out of food you don't yell at the manager, you yell at the people who bought 50 bags of bread all at once. 

That analogy doesn't work, you don't subscribe to a grocery store. Also, you're comparing digital content with physical items -- one can't run out of digital content.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.