Upgrades!!

OnionRings

Edit : Please read all replies, I am posting updates in the replies! :)

My bum ass finally got another job after 4 months... well about to get one, once this corona shit blows over they'll probably *fully* hire me on. Wanting to do some upgrades soon, had some questions.

This is pretty much the list, subject to change obviously.

1. I want to grab Ryzen, my old i7 is starting to show some age, and with how cheap ryzen is now I can't pass it up. The Ryzen 5 3600 seems to be the best bang for buck, the 3700x seemed good too but is almost double in price for 2 more cores that I don't even really need. 

2. I put a tomahawk board on the list, and pcpp yelled at me and said that B450 needs bios updated before it can except zen 2... is there a board thats ready to go and accept zen 2? (b550??) cus I don't exactly have an extra zen 2 chip just chillin around to bios flash. I wanted to go for the tomahawk because of the amazing price to performance of the board, but I can't risk it coming not flashed, then my PC will be dead on build.

3. I don't wanna mess with water cooling, im far too lazy and just not wanting to risk dealing with the risk of water, airs done me fine so far, is this black NH-D15 a good choice? Reviews on amazon seem so, but anybody on here have a bad experience with it or anything? Figured it'd be a good go to since the DH15 is like the highest rated air cooler, and this ones pretty much the same just black. 

3 A. Does the NH-D15 come with an AM4 bracket?

4. Ram and storage good? Need faster ram for ryzen, figured 3200 is a good start. Also found that nice 1TB nvme drive for 170, seemed like a great deal seeing as how 1TB ssds used to be like 400 bucks just a few years ago.

5. PSU choice might raise debate, but based on the reviews it seems to be a great unit, is cheaper than evga units, and I am currently using seasonic and it has been going strong for years.

6. And lastly, I have a meshify C so I was wondering what fan array to go for... im currently using 4 of the basic GP-12 that come with the case, 2 in, 1 out back 1 out top, will that array work fine for ryzen or should I get some juicier fans? I might also wanna nab me some flashy light fans cus why not? RGB is all the rage these days and shows you have a tiny pp and a big wallet. If I do decide to get new fans, what array should I do? The case supports the following http://prntscr.com/riyj2q but what has me saddened is the back slot doesn't support 140... I was thinking 140s would be able to move more air at a slower quieter speed, but I don't wanna have 140s in the front and only a 120 in the back, do I? I mean negative pressure shouldn't be a huge issue since this case is 100% filtered besides the back fan slot (which would be blowing out anyway), and that hole sets next to the GPU mounts. Should I do two 140s in the front, a 140 on the top, and a 120 on the back? Or do all 120s? I don't know. Fans always confuse me.

7. (Edited) I might also add a new GPU later, im ok with my 2060 for now, but sadly there are still games I can't max 1080p at 144hz, which makes me big sad. So I might get a 2070 super or something, but thats like a late game change if I do it, I mainly need to focus on my older parts and get them swapped out. I have a new fancy shiny case and a pretty good GPU, but my mobo is a shoddy mini atx, my ram sticks are green, my cpu can't be overclocked, etc...

I think thats all thats on my mind for now. I don't know when ill be able to buy these upgrades but fear not your contribution won't go un used because even if I don't get these exact parts, it helps me learn and stuff.

Thank you, god bless, and stay safe from the corona boogie mens.

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

1: Ryzen 5 3600 is a good choice

2: Most boards have the new BIOS already flashed for new CPUs. It's noted on the box. If not, you can go to a computer store and ask for help. ;)

3: Excellent choice.

4: Yes

5: No debate here.

6: The GP-12 are good enough. If you buy new fans: 3x 120 in front or 2x 140 in front + 1x 120 back + 1x 120 top. As long as you have more intake than exhaust you are good.

• CPU
    Intel i7-8700k
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Code
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz
  • GPU
    2x ASUS Strix 1080Ti OC
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal TG
  • Storage
    250GB Samsung 960 EVO
    2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO
    1TB Samsung 860 EVO
    2x 256 GB Samsung NVME SSD
  • PSU
    Corsair HX1000i
  • Display(s)
    Alienware AW3418DW 34" 21:9 1440p
  • Cooling
    Custom watercooling loop with 2x 360 Rad + 1x 560 Rad

31 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

My bum ass finally got another job after 4 months... well about to get one, once this corona shit blows over they'll probably *fully* hire me on. Wanting to do some upgrades soon, had some questions.

This is pretty much the list, subject to change obviously.

1. I want to grab Ryzen, my old i7 is starting to show some age, and with how cheap ryzen is now I can't pass it up. The Ryzen 5 3600 seems to be the best bang for buck, the 3700x seemed good too but is almost double in price for 2 more cores that I don't even really need. 

2. I put a tomahawk board on the list, and pcpp yelled at me and said that B450 needs bios updated before it can except zen 2... is there a board thats ready to go and accept zen 2? (b550??) cus I don't exactly have an extra zen 2 chip just chillin around to bios flash. I wanted to go for the tomahawk because of the amazing price to performance of the board, but I can't risk it coming not flashed, then my PC will be dead on build.

3. I don't wanna mess with water cooling, im far too lazy and just not wanting to risk dealing with the risk of water, airs done me fine so far, is this black NH-D15 a good choice? Reviews on amazon seem so, but anybody on here have a bad experience with it or anything? Figured it'd be a good go to since the DH15 is like the highest rated air cooler, and this ones pretty much the same just black. 

4. Ram and storage good? Need faster ram for ryzen, figured 3200 is a good start. Also found that nice 1TB nvme drive for 170, seemed like a great deal seeing as how 1TB ssds used to be like 400 bucks just a few years ago.

5. PSU choice might raise debate, but based on the reviews it seems to be a great unit, is cheaper than evga units, and I am currently using seasonic and it has been going strong for years.

6. And lastly, I have a meshify C so I was wondering what fan array to go for... im currently using 4 of the basic GP-12 that come with the case, 2 in, 1 out back 1 out top, will that array work fine for ryzen or should I get some juicier fans? I might also wanna nab me some flashy light fans cus why not? RGB is all the rage these days and shows you have a tiny pp and a big wallet. If I do decide to get new fans, what array should I do? The case supports the following http://prntscr.com/riyj2q but what has me saddened is the back slot doesn't support 140... I was thinking 140s would be able to move more air at a slower quieter speed, but I don't wanna have 140s in the front and only a 120 in the back, do I? I mean negative pressure shouldn't be a huge issue since this case is 100% filtered besides the back fan slot (which would be blowing out anyway), and that hole sets next to the GPU mounts. Should I do two 140s in the front, a 140 on the top, and a 120 on the back? Or do all 120s? I don't know. Fans always confuse me.

7. (Edited) I might also add a new GPU later, im ok with my 2060 for now, but sadly there are still games I can't max 1080p at 144hz, which makes me big sad. So I might get a 2070 super or something, but thats like a late game change if I do it, I mainly need to focus on my older parts and get them swapped out. I have a new fancy shiny case and a pretty good GPU, but my mobo is a shoddy mini atx, my ram sticks are green, my cpu can't be overclocked, etc...

I think thats all thats on my mind for now. I don't know when ill be able to buy these upgrades but fear not your contribution won't go un used because even if I don't get these exact parts, it helps me learn and stuff.

Thank you, god bless, and stay safe from the corona boogie mens.

I cant answer everything for you but I'll help as much as I can. Your RAM amount and speed are perfectly fine for Ryzen. As for your SSD, did you look at the 860 evo? Nearly the same speeds for loading games and you may be able to get it for slightly cheaper. Make sure it has the right connections though. You dont want to get a SATA when you need M.2. Hope this helps!

The pricing might differ in your region compared to me but I would agree looking at the chips here. The 3600 seems to be the best bang for your buck, from what i have read if you can get the 3600x for not much more it is a small step up. But only really worth it if the price difference is small.

While older B450 motherboards that have been sitting around since before zen 2 released will require a bios update if it is new stock at which ever supplier you choose it will work out of the box. There will be a sticker on the box if it is verified to work with ryzen 3000 series.

Also bonus is that motherboard has the ability to flash the bios without a CPU installed, instructions should be on their site. So even if it is an older one you should be able to do the bios update no problem.

Have not used one myself but from what I have read the NH-D15 is one of the best air coolers out there so it should be plenty for you. Also according to their site the chromax black comes with an AM4 bracket. https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15-chromax-black/specification

Ram and storage good? Need faster ram for ryzen, figured 3200 is a good start. Also found that nice 1TB nvme drive for 170, seemed like a great deal seeing as how 1TB ssds used to be like 400 bucks just a few years ago.

That Ram and storage should be plenty fast enough. I have a lower capacity 970 evo plus myself and it works great.

Unless you are stressing it by doing some serious overclocking or something any 80+ gold psu should be totally fine. So this should be good for you. As far as I know anyway

As far as case fans go that should be plenty of air flow as long as there is nothing massive in your case obstructing the path.

The Tomahawk MAX is Ryzen 3000 ready, so no bios update needed.

The D15 is overkill for a R5 3600. An Arctic Freezer 34 esports duo or a Scythe Mugen 5 etc would be a cheaper option.

The samsung drives are also usually overpriced. 

I would do something like this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 PCGH Edition 43.03 CFM CPU Cooler  ($47.68 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($114.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $622.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-19 08:32 EDT-0400

Thanks all for the help, very good answers from all of you :) now heres hoping this corona shit blows over fast and I can get them checks coming in lol.

CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

Hey guys! I'm back with more questions.

I was thinking about the cooler, and I don't know if it will fit inside my Meshify C. My Hyper 212 already is pretty snug with only about a half an inch space between the nubby bits and the glass, so I don't know if a new cooler will fit. Should I just use my 212 evo on the 3600 and buy an AM4 bracket for it? Or should I use the stock wraith cooler? Will the wraith cooler perform better than a 212 evo? Does the 3600x have a better cooler than the 3600? If yes, is it worth buying the 3600x for the better cooler? I do plan on overclocking.

Edit : I think we already talked ram, but we never went in depth. Is 3200 enough for ryzen? I heard some youtubers recommend 3600.

CPU

I checked the height of the 212 evo online, says its 159mm. The noctua is 165, so it *might* fit in my case, but if it does it will be SUPER snug. I might need to whip out a measuring tape and measure, or I can take @lee32ukadvice and get a mutagen, its around 50 bucks, has performance slightly less than a DH15 according to premiumbuilds.com and is only 154mm.

Looked into ram more as well and I'm gonna go with 3200, a reddit article stated that 3600 isn't going to be night and day faster over 3200, and its about 20$ more for a low profile LPX kit of 3600 vs 3200.

CPU

Revised list https://pcpartpicker.com/user/OnionRings/saved/L6FK3C

Still got the same CPU, MOBO, switched cooler out for the mutagen, but I may also still just keep my 212 evo and save some cash, if I can find an AM4 bracket. 3200 ram, decided to pass on the SSD for now to save cash, and same GPU.

CPU

• 3 weeks later...

I'm happy to say, that I was able to nab some upgrades! I snagged my 3600, my tomohawk max, some LPX 16GB 3600 ram. Im gonna use the stock cooler for the 3600 to start, and upgrade it later, same with storage and all that. Just gonna carry over my storage for now until I can afford an NVME. But I got the important stuff! Super hyped for it to arrive.

CPU