When to buy a new GPU?

Kyatto

Hi guys, so last December i built my very first gaming PC and i was too budget-limited to get a decent GPU so i ended up going for an RX590 which has been consistently giving me some issues with crashes and whatnot something i've found to be rather "common" among last gen Radeon gpu's; they seem to have ditched most of whatever they were doing for Polaris architecture and now they focus only on their new RDNA stuff which i certainly can't blame them for but anyway i don't think i'll get anything more on performance or even stability if i stick to my rx590. So that made me go look around for a new GPU and at least for me the RX 5700xt looks like the clear winner in cost/performance and also seems to fulfill my needs for a future 1440p/100+fps monitor upgrade for more demanding games and 4k/60~ish fps on couch gaming like Rocket league, Bloodstained and such, whenever i manage to afford that, of course.

Current prices haven't dropped since December and i'm seriously thinking whether or not it's worth upgrading now or if with the launch of new RDNA 2 and 3000 series Nvidia cards the price will drop enough to make it a decent deal, not that i need the extra horse power right now, but i would certainly feel a bit better getting rid of my crashing card and being mostly future-proof right away for a couple years maybe.

I'm also concerned about how bad my PC could bottleneck a newer GPU, i have a R7 2700 running at stock speed and 16 Gb of 2666 DDR4 RAM :/

Thanks for your time.

in terms of bottlenecking, don't worry about it.

as for a gpu, I'd go for a 5700 with a higher quality cooler on it. you can upgrade the bios to the 5700xt bios and overclock it, bringing it to the same level of performance of the 5700xt.

15 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

in terms of bottlenecking, don't worry about it.

as for a gpu, I'd go for a 5700 with a higher quality cooler on it. you can upgrade the bios to the 5700xt bios and overclock it, bringing it to the same level of performance of the 5700xt.

Didn't know you could do that, gonna check that out.

12 minutes ago, Kyatto said:

Didn't know you could do that, gonna check that out.

jayz2cents has a video on it if you search on youtube

for picking a new GPU, you need to consider 2 things above all else. the 1st is what is your budget for it and the 2nd is will it physically fit inside your case. I personally just ordered the EVGA RTX 2070 super FTW3 ultra+.

watch the video and look at the list linked below to see if there is one you like.

if you are waiting on the AMD or Nvidia next gen of GPUs then you might be waiting a while not only because of the virus going around but also because its a better than average chance that the "release" date of them is just the announcement that they are making those GPUs and from there it will usually be a few months or a year until they actually hit the shelves.

Edited by tdkid
new info