400w gtx1080 ?

warlics

was running gtx1080 asus strix with my Be quiet! System Power 8 - 400W for a while now with no problems. Recently my pc started crashing with bluescreens or gpu artefacts (not just under load, but even watching youtube), but guaranteed crash after launching game.

Is is possible that the psu cannot handle the load anymore, because its maybe aging slowly? (was fine for about a year).

What I am trying to figure out is my gpu dead, or is it just not geting enough power.

Thanks for any help!!

intel 8600 non k

16gb ddr4

basic ssd

basic hdd

basic old laptop hdd

2fans

9 minutes ago, warlics said:

was running gtx1080 asus strix with my Be quiet! System Power 8 - 400W for a while now with no problems. Recently my pc started crashing with bluescreens or gpu artefacts (not just under load, but even watching youtube), but guaranteed crash after launching game.

Is is possible that the psu cannot handle the load anymore, because its maybe aging slowly? (was fine for about a year).

What I am trying to figure out is my gpu dead, or is it just not geting enough power.

Thanks for any help!!

i dont know the quality on be quiets psus but because they are more of reputable company i would think itd last more than a year. i would recommend updating drivers and getting rid of any overclocks. it could also be a memory problem, but that is very far fetched

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

I'd email bequiet and ask them tbh, only good could come of it.

2 hours ago, warlics said:

with bluescreens or gpu artefacts

Is anything overclocked? If so, disable them. It's likely not due to the PSU. 

:)

It's far more likely that your GPU are showing signs of wear. How old it is ? Did you buy it new ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

8 hours ago, seon123 said:

Is anything overclocked? If so, disable them. It's likely not due to the PSU. 

no overclock, even tried to underclock the gpu as much as msi afterburner allows it. The game ran for about 10minutes just fine, but still crashed.

6 hours ago, Juular said:

It's far more likely that your GPU are showing signs of wear. How old it is ? Did you buy it new ?

i got it about a year ago, used. I only got it because the pretty good value (even if it was used for mining).But who would buy the strix for mining :) also the guy i bought it off seemd legit, had crusty redhat tshirt on and was pretty chill.

But i guess I ran out of luck with this one.

If it was a power supply issue, you would likely not get a Blue Screen at all. It would most likely just turn off or brick up.

Reinstall GPU drivers and anything else that might not work correctly, if not, have a look in event viewer after it has crashes and get back to us. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

1 hour ago, warlics said:

But who would buy the strix for mining

There were times when all GPU lineups were priced the same because of mining boom. Find another PSU, test it, i pretty sure it's GPU, specifically so called 'cold solder', when balls on BGA array of GPU chip lose contact with PCB and it stops working properly, you can try to repair that with a heat gun or by baking it in a an oven, but first confirm that it's GPU.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 hours ago, Juular said:

There were times when all GPU lineups were priced the same because of mining boom. Find another PSU, test it, i pretty sure it's GPU, specifically so called 'cold solder', when balls on BGA array of GPU chip lose contact with PCB and it stops working properly, you can try to repair that with a heat gun or by baking it in a an oven, but first confirm that it's GPU.

3 hours ago, Brennan Price said:

If it was a power supply issue, you would likely not get a Blue Screen at all. It would most likely just turn off or brick up.

Reinstall GPU drivers and anything else that might not work correctly, if not, have a look in event viewer after it has crashes and get back to us. 

ok. device manager now shows code 43

event viewer after a crash says something about missing nvlddmkm couldn't find in even manually(show hidden files checked). (keep in mind a already reinstalled drivers, even with proper DDU)

i'll try to install different drivers and if that won't help, I am getting my moms hairdryer.

It's not the PSU.

If the System demands more Power than the PSU can deliver, your System will simply shut down. It will just turn off.

No Bluescreen, no Error, nothing.

Btw: I have a GTX 1080 too, underovlted to 0.800v at 1823 Mhz~ (5500 Mhz Memory).

My whole Computer draws like <240-250 Watt out of the Wall during Gaming, translating into a PSU load of around 225 Watt.

On 3/19/2020 at 4:07 PM, warlics said:

event viewer after a crash says something about missing nvlddmkm couldn't find in even manually(show hidden files checked). (keep in mind a already reinstalled drivers, even with proper DDU)

i'll try to install different drivers and if that won't help, I am getting my moms hairdryer.

Hiya, a hairdryer is perhaps last option. I can only suggest trying it with a live bootable Linux installer to see if you can get the GPU working. If not then it will be windows messing with you even after a DDU and I have seen this happen. A Windows re-install may be the best option if that is the case. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

On 3/18/2020 at 5:35 PM, warlics said:

As others in this thread have said:  This is not a PSU issue.

On 3/19/2020 at 12:07 PM, warlics said:

Code 43 is a dead GPU the overwhelming majority of the time. A hairdryer is just going to generate static and finish the job. RMA it if you can.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.