Portable Laptops

I am in a search for a sturdy, reliable laptop that's about $800-1200. Main purpose will be a decent and light piece of hardware perfect travel. I've decided that 13 inches will do. Any suggestions? Also, what about Macbooks and Ultrabooks?

heres my sugestion it 17" but i would get it and itsa at the low end of your price range

Fan Junkie

Love the title. Portable laptop...are some laptops not portable :P

Check out some Clevo/Sager laptops.

Check out this site: http://rjtech.com/shop/index.php

Go to the completed series and pick out a nice laptop with a decent GPU and you should be set. I would prefer a Clevo laptop as they have a business look and are cheap.

Check out the Lenovo Yoga. It's an ultrabook, is in your price-range and I think that it looks like a wonderful piece of hardware.

Love the title. Portable laptop...are some laptops not portable :P

Check out some Clevo/Sager laptops.

Check out this site: http://rjtech.com/shop/index.php

Go to the completed series and pick out a nice laptop with a decent GPU and you should be set. I would prefer a Clevo laptop as they have a business look and are cheap.

I checked out the site and Clevo. Although I would like their kind of laptops, they are more on the thick side and meant for gaming it seems. Thanks for the suggestion but I'm looking for a thin laptop. 

I checked out the site and Clevo. Although I would like their kind of laptops, they are more on the thick side and meant for gaming it seems. Thanks for the suggestion but I'm looking for a thin laptop.

Yeah, definitely avoid gaming notebooks if you want thin and ultraportable with good battery life. For your requirements, an ultrabook certainly sounds like the best option. In this day and age there are a lot of a good ultrabook choices, however if you are looking at the MacBook (Air?), make sure you're happy using OSX. While you can put Windows on a Mac, it's not a perfect experience and somewhat defeats the purpose. Buy a computer that's made for the OS you want to run.

Obsidian

• AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.8GHz, NB @ 2.6
  • AMD Radeon 6970 1GB (modded 6950)
  • 120GB SSD - OS/Apps
  • RAID0 2x1TB HDDs - Games
  • Catleap 27" 2560x1440 IPS Screen
  • Razer DeathAdder & BlackWidow
  • Audio-Technica AD700s

OK so now I'm thinking "Macbook or Ultrabook...hmm". While I'm still a Windows guy, I have used Apple's OS for a short period of time. In my personal opinion, I think that Mac OS is very different from your typical Windows experience having more of a business type feel. Now moving on to Ultrabooks. I know that Intel is filled with  :( disappoint :(  concerning the sales of ultrabook. Since there are many of them (ultrabooks) which ones are actually good?

Otherwise the Samsung Serie 7 are pretty slim & compact, and they're not in the "ultrabook family".

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 --- CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 2 rev. B --- MB: Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 --- RAM: G Skill F3-12800CL9 4x2GB --- GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 O/C --- HDD: 2x Samsung HD103SJ 1TB --- Power supply: Corsair AX850 --- Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi --- Fans: 6x BeQuiet Silent Wings 2 140mm --- Display: HP 2310 --- Soundcard: Creative Audigy SE --- NAS: DS213 with 2x 3TB WD RED (Backup: 1x DS112 with 1x WD Green 3TB linked with 1x DX213) --- Laptop: Samsung Serie 7 NP700Z5A

I am in a search for a sturdy, reliable laptop that's about $800-1200. Main purpose will be a decent and light piece of hardware perfect travel. I've decided that 13 inches will do. Any suggestions? Also, what about Macbooks and Ultrabooks?

Thread moved

What about Samsung series 9?

I would also like to hear people's opinion on this. I want to get one but from my experiences I personally find the trackpad a bit on the unresponsive side.

I love my Lenovo X220. Has 8gb RAM, matte IPS screen, 128gb SSD, an amazing keyboard, 8hr battery on the SMALLEST battery option, better port selection than an Ultrabook, good Linux support, and a big advantage is the full speed mobile i5 (not ULV like Ultrabooks - a full speed 2.50ghz mobile Sandy Bridge i5 is faster than a ULV 1.9ghz Ivy Bridge i7). I got it for $950 off the Lenovo site and take it to a from uni every day. In my opinion it's the perfect portable laptop, It also has great build quality (very light, too). The 12" form factor makes it perfect for using on public transport or a desk where you don't have a great deal of room. They're going for less than $800 on ebay now.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I love my Lenovo X220. Has 8gb RAM, matte IPS screen, 128gb SSD, an amazing keyboard, 8hr battery on the SMALLEST battery option, better port selection than an Ultrabook, good Linux support, and a big advantage is the full speed mobile i5 (not ULV like Ultrabooks - a full speed 2.50ghz mobile Sandy Bridge i5 is faster than a ULV 1.9ghz Ivy Bridge i7). I got it for $950 off the Lenovo site and take it to a from uni every day. In my opinion it's the perfect portable laptop, It also has great build quality (very light, too). The 12" form factor makes it perfect for using on public transport or a desk where you don't have a great deal of room. They're going for less than $800 on ebay now.

Its looks a little too thick and heavy for my use but everything else seems decent enough.

Pictures online don't do it justice. It is very light and much thinner than it appears, not really sure how you weighed it buy looking at a photo. The body and screen together are only about 20mm thick. If you want decent performance and a good keyboard while retaining great portability I would shy away from an ultrabook.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers