The next generation of console wars - Playstation 5 stream

williamcll

Both consoles are going to end up around the same actual performance, just slightly different approaches. If I said it sort of looks like the difference between a higher revving Japanese engine and a lower revving, higher displacement American engine, that wouldn't be that too far off. Considering Japan & Europe is where Sony racked up the huge victories this generation, that philosophical approach is pretty apt. 

Sony is also coming in with a lot more in-house R&D approach compared to MS. Xbox still does a ton of R&D, but it's more on the software side of things. (Raytracing being a MS driven feature.) Xbox has a bit more of a "what's on the shelf? we can use that" approach, while Sony is much more bespoke in their approach.  I'd also assume PS5 has a couple of extra years of development over the XSX, which would make sense. Xbox basically cleared house in 2014 and had to start over at the upper levels.

11 hours ago, ErrantNyles said:

Yet, Sony won 3 of the 4 generations it was in, and the only one "they lost" was against Nintendo Wii (7th generation) not against the 360 which they outsold.

Xbox was always the underdog, and most likely will always be.

that has nothing to do with theese two consoles,

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

14 minutes ago, leadeater said:

But I'm a die hard PS3/IBM Cell Processor fan.... 😉

cell can go where it belongs, right next to bulldozer and excavator. I forgot any intel knight _____ product.

Edited by GDRRiley

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

cell can go where it belongs, right next to bulldozer and excavator.

Pff it was really good, maybe not in a console but I say to devs, harden the f up and deal with it 🤣

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Pff it was really good, maybe not in a console but I say to devs, harden the f up and deal with it 🤣

it was for a while. it did really well in supercomputers.

I forgot I should probably add knights landing to that list.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, GDRRiley said:

it was for a while. it did really well in supercomputers.

I forgot I should probably add knights landing to that list.

Yea it was pretty clear that it wasn't actually designed for consoles, not sure what the logic process was putting it in to one, maybe to get the production cost down from the larger volume. I dunno, it had tons of special memory interconnection stuff in it that had zero applicability to consoles at all.

Just now, leadeater said:

Yea it was pretty clear that it wasn't actually designed for consoles, not sure what the logic process was putting it in to one, maybe to get the production cost down from the larger volume. I dunno, it had tons of special memory interconnection stuff in it that had zero applicability to consoles at all.

i think sony was trying to give more hardware power to devs without needing high clocks and low efficiency. had it come a few years later and it been a little easier to program it would have been better. giving just a quad core with 2 high clocked and 2 low would have been much better for it.

16 hours ago, Lord Xeb said:

I like the fact they actually have an NVMe slot on their system unlike microsoft. Microsoft will have proprietary drives. 

That's a good thing, indeed. Those NVMe-drives can also be used by regular desktops, laptops, SBCs and so on and so forth, so there's a bigger incentive for manufacturers to ramp up their production and bring prices down. Microsoft's approach? It only applies to the Sexbox, literally nothing else, so it just won't see the kind of reduction in costs and increase in availability.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I think the deciding factor, like previous gen for me, will be with respect to exclusives. Playstation have lately had the more attractive exclusives (God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodbourne and etc.) compared to Xbox (Halo......jks). The hardware is pretty close and not really a factor for most consumers to be honest, let alone hardware enthusiasts. The SSD situation is interesting and the fact Sony have gone for a non-proprietary approach compared to Xbox (any opportunity to make more money; classic MS move) may skew most in their favour. I've also read that expanding the storage would require PCIe 4.0 drives which would not be cheap and I also read that it has to be Sony approved or something - that may also factor in to console choice. In terms of hardware I would say it balances out quite well. No clear winner.

11 hours ago, flashiling said:

that has nothing to do with theese two consoles,

It does. Even if the Xbox is stronger, it's still never gonna outsold Sony/Nintendo until all these conditions are met:

• Same amount and average quality of exlusives, at release date and few months after.
  • All the same features, plus some extras that the competition doesn't have at all.
  • Years of brand reputation 

Since the first Xbox, it's clear that now they do have a reputation.. of being the same of a PC and always lagging behind Sony and Nintendo.

It just doesn't matter what their specs are as long as you don't have the games, features and brand loyalty of your competitors.

Plus, Microsoft isn't gonna forever dump bilions into Xbox if they NEVER turn a significant profit when they can invest in streaming, cloud, supercomputing, office etc. They really need to step up their game and it doesn't look like they're not doing enough for this gen again. They simply were unprepared.

On 3/18/2020 at 12:18 PM, LostElric said:

Comparison from Engadget. They seem very similar with XB a bit ahead.

ps5_v_xsx.JPG

Be interesting to see how bad screen tearing is for most 4k TVs this next gen.

11 hours ago, WereCatf said:

That's a good thing, indeed. Those NVMe-drives can also be used by regular desktops, laptops, SBCs and so on and so forth, so there's a bigger incentive for manufacturers to ramp up their production and bring prices down. Microsoft's approach? It only applies to the Sexbox, literally nothing else, so it just won't see the kind of reduction in costs and increase in availability.

20 bucks says it's just an NVME drive slapped into a proprietary adapter. Market capture is the only reason, otherwise it would be a PCIe x4 slot with the proprietary bit being internal riser cables. They would have an official adapter with 1-2 NVMEs slapped in it and third party adapters that users could stick their own drives into would be out in less than 2 months.

On 3/18/2020 at 3:07 PM, TetraSky said:

Soooo It's the same console, nearly the same hardware and capabilities.... Just different OSes... Ok then... And people are still fighting over them. 🤦‍♂️

There just seem to be a GPU CU - CPU clock - CPU clock trade off going on. Wouldn't be surprised if in the end they're all targeting the same overall power consumption from different angles.

On 3/18/2020 at 3:46 PM, ErrantNyles said:

PS5 is a custom, different, unique approach to gaming hardware. The Xbox is.. literally a boxed PC with much smaller tweaks (in comparison). Next generation is really gonna be interesting going forward.

LOL they're literally small variations of the same thing xD

12 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

LOL they're literally small variations of the same thing xD

Not really. There are features unique to Sony that won't be made avaiable to the public, either PC or Console. That was made very clear in the deep dive. How much this will change of the final result, we'll see, but not they are not the same things.

The new XBOX is literally PC parts fitted into a console, the PS5 is actually a different piece of hardware. Both are BASED on the same architecture, the implementation is very different. Also, RDNA2 was actively developed by Sony as well as they have confirmed, Microsoft "bought" the product and refitted it as a laptop maker would do.

1 hour ago, ErrantNyles said:

Not really. There are features unique to Sony that won't be made avaiable to the public, either PC or Console. That was made very clear in the deep dive. How much this will change of the final result, we'll see, but not they are not the same things.

The new XBOX is literally PC parts fitted into a console, the PS5 is actually a different piece of hardware. Both are BASED on the same architecture, the implementation is very different. Also, RDNA2 was actively developed by Sony as well as they have confirmed, Microsoft "bought" the product and refitted it as a laptop maker would do.

image.png.100562a6606caa9d044991d5479cbcbd.pnghmmmmmm

✨FNIGE✨

Not a lot of difference between the consoles, what with the Sexbox being somewhat higher flops and the PS5 possibly having quite a bit better audio. Personally, I'll go with the PS5; Sony seems to have all the best games, whereas Microsoft....um, I don't actually even know of any Xbox - exclusives in the first place, let alone any must-have titles. Also, Sony has the PSVR and I'm eagerly awaiting for more information on PSVR2.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

What will decide this console wars is exclusive games to each platform

Sony: Rumored to be buying Silent Hill and MGS's IP from Konami, plus dozens of studios who can make stuff like God Of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-man, Bloodborne,... plus tons of JRPGs from Japan

Microsoft: Er... Cloud service? Sorry but apart from Halo and Gears Of War I can't think of anything else.

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

8 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

image.png.100562a6606caa9d044991d5479cbcbd.pnghmmmmmm

Custom means It's not part of the General portfolio that AMD sells to the market. How involved on the hardware level the buyer is It's a different story.

On 3/20/2020 at 6:58 PM, ErrantNyles said:

Custom means It's not part of the General portfolio that AMD sells to the market. How involved on the hardware level the buyer is It's a different story.

Well do you know how involved they are?

✨FNIGE✨

13 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

Well do you know how involved they are?

Microsoft and Sony aren't fiddling with the basic architecture (it's Zen 2), but they can aim for core counts, clock speed, memory configurations (like the multiple bandwidths for the Xbox Series X), that sort of thing.  These aren't just Ryzen chips with slightly different performance stats, let's put it that way.

5 hours ago, Commodus said:

Microsoft and Sony aren't fiddling with the basic architecture (it's Zen 2), but they can aim for core counts, clock speed, memory configurations (like the multiple bandwidths for the Xbox Series X), that sort of thing.  These aren't just Ryzen chips with slightly different performance stats, let's put it that way.

they also sometimes add custom instructions to the cores, they did that in the previous gen adding custom low level instructions to the gpus

On 3/19/2020 at 4:38 AM, Taf the Ghost said:

Both consoles are going to end up around the same actual performance, just slightly different approaches. If I said it sort of looks like the difference between a higher revving Japanese engine and a lower revving, higher displacement American engine, that wouldn't be that too far off. Considering Japan & Europe is where Sony racked up the huge victories this generation, that philosophical approach is pretty apt. 

Sony is also coming in with a lot more in-house R&D approach compared to MS. Xbox still does a ton of R&D, but it's more on the software side of things. (Raytracing being a MS driven feature.) Xbox has a bit more of a "what's on the shelf? we can use that" approach, while Sony is much more bespoke in their approach.  I'd also assume PS5 has a couple of extra years of development over the XSX, which would make sense. Xbox basically cleared house in 2014 and had to start over at the upper levels.

Yeah, the PS5 seems like it can do faster stuff, but the XBox might have more grunt for a slightly shinier (raytraced) effect. Very close.

Update: Nike has released special edition Playstation sneakers, but only to limited 50 pairs.

https://sneakernews.com/2020/03/19/nike-air-max-90-mlb-the-show-20/

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Update: Possible pricing and release date

A retailer based in Denmark has created a placeholder on its website for the PlayStation 5 console while also adding a price and release date for the device. Fans better hope that the suggested price published by føtex is simply meaningless, as it is quite a bit higher than what many expect the PS5 to cost. The price mentioned is 6,989 Danish krone, which is roughly the equivalent to US$1,043/€935/£838. While the price is certainly way off the mark, the suggested delivery date could be more accurate: December 1, 2020.

A redditor called u/ruddi2020 has posted some concept renders of the PS5 that will likely have a nostalgic effect on gamers. The images (see teaser and below) are reminiscent of both the original PlayStation and the Sega Dreamcast. The poster has created the console in two different colors and has even taken the time to address the all-important cooling solution. The PS5 concept features four USB Type-C ports and incorporates soft-click hardware buttons.

IGN has posted a fan poll in a video clip on its YouTube channel that shows there is still plenty of love for the PS5 regardless of the perceived inferior hardware compared to the Xbox Series X. According to the poll, 43.3% of respondents agreed with “the PS5 will be mine” while 25.7% went with “all in on Series X”. A lucky 12.8% said they would be “buying them all”. It seems it will take more than fewer compute units and lower TFLOPS to put PS5 fans off purchasing their next-gen console of choice.

Source: https://www.notebookcheck.net/PlayStation-5-news-Danish-retailer-offers-eye-watering-price-and-release-date-nostalgic-fan-concept-poll-shows-PS5-is-still-the-most-wanted.459270.0.html

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition