Port foward issues

Go to solution Solved by Viper9,

You might need to contact your ISP, sometimes they block some ports since you're a home user.

I'm a first time port forwarder. I want to host my own minecraft server for my friends to play on but cannot get my friends to conenct to it.

I will list of the things that I have done:

-created a port forward on my router to my private ip

-restarted my pc and router several times

-tested the port on a port checking webite and had no connection

-tested the port on a port cheking website with my firewall disabled no connection

-tested the port on a port cheking website with inbound and outbound rules added to my firewall no connection

-I made sure I gave my friend the right public ip because he was able to ping me.

-The server has the port as 25565 and the server ip as my private ip in the .properties folder.

-I was able to connect to the server using 0 (the localhost thing) but not using the public ip and port.

From reading online this could be an issue caused by my ISP? what would they be doing to prevent a port forward on my router? and what would I ask them to change? It could be an issue with my firewall still but I allowed java runtime binaries in my firewall and have tested with the firewall disabled. I also read the a port checker only works if there is a process using/watching the port. Is there a way to to get a dummy process so I can troubleshoot. I was poking around and found  I was able to connect to a router 192.168.10.1 (my default gateway was 192.168.0.1) which I wasn't able to login to (no default login) is this whats preventing port forwarding? Basically I running around in circles reading forum post after forum post. If there is any other information that would be helpful ask away.

any help is greatly appreciated.

temporary solution - someone else's problem

You might need to contact your ISP, sometimes they block some ports since you're a home user.

is it just some ports in specic or all ports? and why would they block ports?

8 minutes ago, LOUOS said:

is it just some ports in specic or all ports? and why would they block ports?

Depends of the ISP so you could try to use another incoming port for your minecraft server. 

In their minds, if you have a server you're a business so you should get a business plan with them. 

For easier access to your server you could use a DDNS service like no-ip, because your external IP address is most likely set to DHCP so it will change. 

what would the difference be between having a static ip and using DDNS.

8 minutes ago, LOUOS said:

what would the difference be between having a static ip and using DDNS.

You don't have a static IP that's why using a DDNS service is easier. Your public IP address will change eventually. So you won't have to check if your IP address has changed or not.

But first, you need to be able to reach your Minecraft server from outside. Do you know how to change the port in the Minecraft client? Because if you change the external port for your port forward you'll need to change it in the Minecraft client since by default he will use 25565.

I am currently trying to get in contact with my isp. I will try using a different port.

Spoke with my ISP and its £5 a month to get a public ip address so that I can configure the port fowarding. what public ip address are they talkling about?

1 minute ago, LOUOS said:

Spoke with my ISP and its £5 a month to get a public ip address so that I can configure the port fowarding. what public ip address are they talkling about?

I guess they're talking about a static IP address. 

That was a fantastic waste of time. thank you for walking me through.

1 minute ago, LOUOS said:

That was a fantastic waste of time. thank you for walking me through.

No problem, have a good one. :)

Do make sure if you do get this working for yourself that you give the server a Static IP. Otherwise it's IP is prone to change then nobody will be able to connect.