turns on for a second then off

winkawak

This is probably the 3rd time it has happened in a month. I would go try to power on my desktop in the morning but the power button light lights up and then it turns off. I dont hear any cpu fan spinning in that 1 second on and off. But it would power on no problem if i hit the power button again. Any ideas?

update

Sorry to bring up semi old thread, with coronavirus i havent been able to buy a new psu to test out. During the time i posted this this symptom has happened twice more. Today something new happened, now the pc takes almost a minute before it shows the mobo logo screen and the windows log in screen. It used to take less than 3 seconds to show.

It is a PSU issue and this might not show up as easily in diagnostics but it can cause many other problems down the line. I fried 2Mobos 2 CPUs and a set of ram after which the psu finally gave up. 

3 hours ago, Agent Crimson said:

It is a PSU issue and this might not show up as easily in diagnostics but it can cause many other problems down the line. I fried 2Mobos 2 CPUs and a set of ram after which the psu finally gave up. 

I dont experience any other signs of bad psu though. My computer runs fine even under load such as gaming.

I have had the same issue in the past with an older PC of mine and suspected the PSU though never bothered to look into it as I got a new computer. In my case the PSU made a distinct click when it turned off as if some safety was trigger so maybe try listening to the PSU when you trigger the issue and see if it makes an odd noise. 

6 hours ago, winkawak said:

I dont experience any other signs of bad psu though. My computer runs fine even under load such as gaming.

Mine did too it was just at startup. Which led to such major damage 

7 hours ago, winkawak said:

bad psu can fry mobo/cpu/ram?

how long did it took your psu to do that?

i have this psu

https://www.newegg.com/evga-supernova-850-g2-220-g2-0850-xr-850w/p/N82E16817438018?Item=N82E16817438018

It took about 6 months and it fried it part by part first was just the Mobo then when I installed a new mobo it turned out cpu was dead too then waited for a new one to arrive then the second time all three things got fried. My psu was not a bad one too it was from cooler master. 

7 hours ago, winkawak said:

bad psu can fry mobo/cpu/ram?

how long did it took your psu to do that?

i have this psu

https://www.newegg.com/evga-supernova-850-g2-220-g2-0850-xr-850w/p/N82E16817438018?Item=N82E16817438018

I really don't know what to say right now but I can just warn you to maybe try using the system on a different psu to diagnose the issue. In my case at first my pc powering on then instantly powering off and then repowering on... were rare but as time progressed they became more common. So this is the only thing that comes to my mind. I was lucky and all py stuff was in warranty so got everything replaced for free. 

3 hours ago, Agent Crimson said:

I really don't know what to say right now but I can just warn you to maybe try using the system on a different psu to diagnose the issue. In my case at first my pc powering on then instantly powering off and then repowering on... were rare but as time progressed they became more common. So this is the only thing that comes to my mind. I was lucky and all py stuff was in warranty so got everything replaced for free. 

My psu states it has

over voltage protection

under voltage protection

over current protection

over power protection

short circuit protection

over temp protection

did yours have it too?

On 3/18/2020 at 10:05 AM, winkawak said:

My psu states it has

over voltage protection

under voltage protection

over current protection

over power protection

short circuit protection

over temp protection

did yours have it too?

Doesn't say although after this accident with my psi I switched from Cooler Master to Seasonic and never been happier....

the exact same thing happened to me two days ago. Here is what I did, I bought a new PSU. But if you don't want to, please simply reassemble your computer part by part and the problem magically goes away. BTW, I am serious here...

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

Samsung EVO 1tb | Samsung EVO 512gb x2 | Intel ssd 128gb

PSU: Powerstation 500W

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring up semi old thread, with coronavirus i havent been able to buy a new psu to test out. During the time i posted this this symptom has happened twice more. Today something new happened, now the pc takes almost a minute before it shows the mobo logo screen and the windows log in screen. It used to take less than 3 seconds to show.