Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Legodude50

SSD confusion!

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

It seems like the more I research the more I get confused. I’m looking to upgrade to an SSD. At first I was considering a western digital blue 1 TB m.2 Sata drive. Between lots of mixed reviews and people’s opinions I’m a lot less sure than I was when I started. People say m.2’s get hot, people saying they’re unreliable, etc. I’d really appreciate if someone could give me a recommendation. I’m willing to buy either a m.2 sata or 3.5 inch (I think) sata 3 SSD. I was also considering a nvme m.2 but the price difference is usually too much for me to consider. And it seems people talk about overheating a lot more with nvme drives. (Note that my m.2 slot is underneath my graphics card) if anyone could shed some light on this and hopefully give me some good recommendations I’d really appreciate it. I’m trying to stay within the $100-$150 range but if the best option is a little more expensive list it anyway. I rather spend a little more if the cheaper options are less reliable. Especially when it comes to storage. Thank you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The faster the drive, the hotter it gets. SATA doesnt really get hot, comparing to the PCIe x4 ones but you dont need that good of a heatsink to keep them cool

 

Those who say M.2 SSDs are unreliable must be buying dodgy ones only, or repeating what some individual said without personal experience.

 

SATA SSDs in 2.5" or M.2 format only differ in size and slot they go into, no functional difference. Some prefer 2.5" as some boards disable multiple SATA ports with M.2 SATA drives, some prefer M.2 SATA because that's 2 less cables to connect and manage.

 

Crucial MX500, Adata SU800, SK Hynix S31, Kingston KC600 are my recommendations, the Samsung drives are good but usually too expensive while WD Blue and Kingston UV500 are previous generation products but they are good enough


CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites

M.2 does heat up but if you have airflow it doesn't matter.

If you are looking for an SSD don't go too cheap. Those are less reliable and slower.

 

Note: when people say unreliable they mean that they have a shorter lifespan. SSDs wear out over time but cheaper ones wear out faster. But, in most cases you never have to worry about that. If you look at the TBW rating for drives, they are usually in the 150 to 300TBW range. That means you can write about 200TB of data before it's unreliable and you could encounter data loss. But, 200tb is A LOT. even if you do 50gb a day (overestimated) then 200tbw will last about 10 years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

M.2 SATA drives generally don't have any issues with heat whatsoever. It can sometimes affect the much faster M.2 NVMe drives because they're just doing so much more work. But it's usually not a big concern as the drive will just slow down a little (still much faster than SATA) to keep the temperature in check.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

SATA SSDs in 2.5" or M.2 format only differ in size and slot they go into, no functional difference. Some prefer 2.5" as some boards disable multiple SATA ports with M.2 SATA drives, some prefer M.2 SATA because that's 2 less cables to connect and manage.

And if you open up a 2.5" SATA SSD nowadays, you often find a PCB inside that's barely any bigger than an M.2 drive anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

The faster the drive, the hotter it gets. SATA doesnt really get hot, comparing to the PCIe x4 ones but you dont need that good of a heatsink to keep them cool

 

Those who say M.2 SSDs are unreliable must be buying dodgy ones only, or repeating what some individual said without personal experience.

 

SATA SSDs in 2.5" or M.2 format only differ in size and slot they go into, no functional difference. Some prefer 2.5" as some boards disable multiple SATA ports with M.2 SATA drives, some prefer M.2 SATA because that's 2 less cables to connect and manage.

 

Crucial MX500, Adata SU800, SK Hynix S31, Kingston KC600 are my recommendations, the Samsung drives are good but usually too expensive while WD Blue and Kingston UV500 are previous generation products but they are good enough

Some motherboards disable sata ports when you plug in an m.2?? That’s really odd, how could I check if mine would do that? I have a MSI x99a sli plus board 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Legodude50 said:

Some motherboards disable sata ports when you plug in an m.2?? That’s really odd, how could I check if mine would do that? I have a MSI x99a sli plus board 

Check the spec sheet on their website, or the manual.

 

As it turns out, this does affect your board:

Quote

* The SATA Express port or SATA5~6 ports will be unavailable when installing the M.2 (Gen2 x2 mode) module in the M.2 port.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
20 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Check the spec sheet on their website, or the manual.

 

As it turns out, this does affect your board:

 

Wow that’s very interesting. Thank you for looking it up for me. If it’s only 5 and 6 though that doesn’t concern me too much. My board has a lot of ports and I barley use any. What do you think of the ADATA XPG SX8200 pro? Toms hardware listed it as their best overall SSD. And with its price point of $150 right now that’s very close to m.2 Sata price point.  I’ve never heard of this brand though. But it looks promising!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×