Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FooFL

Laptop isn't reaching the performance it is supposed to reach. How do I fix it?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Recently bought an Acer NItro 5 gaming computer and after some installation I ran some games on it.

To my surprise the games didn't run as I expected them to be.

Opened Dota 2 and it was hitting around 50 to 70 fps average on high settings. It is supposed to run on at least 100fps on high settings. I saw a lot of youtube videos online watching the laptop easily hitting well over 100fps on Dota 2.

The laptop has a core I5 9300H processor with a Gtx 1650 and has a 4GB DDR4 ram installed. It has a 512gb ssd storage.

I've tried everything including uninstalling and reinstalling GeForce Experience and the Nvidia drivers and nothing is working for me.

What is the problem probably and how can I fix it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

What resolution are you running the game in? How much VRAM does the 1650 have?


My Workstation

i7-9750H 6-core - GTX 1660 Ti - 4K Samsung OLED - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB NVME

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Yes I've done all of those and did what I could based on what i found on the internet but nothing seems to be working

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, FooFL said:

The laptop has a core I5 9300H processor with a Gtx 1650 and has a 4GB DDR4 ram installed. It has a 512gb ssd storage.

Are you sure it's 4GB DDR4? that doesn't sound right, but if I had to guess it's probably due to having Single Channel memory, you can get a big performance boost by going with Dual Channel.


Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How old are the youtube videos?

 

Has the game been updated since then? Have gpu drivers been updated since then?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

things you can check, seeing if you have some kind of bottleneck. Use any software (or the task manager) to check the utilization of your GPU, and the CPU.
The GPU *should* be at %100. I'm not really sure how demanding your game is when it comes to CPU, and I'm not familiar with the 9300H to be specific. But in any case, for starters, if the GPU isn't at %100, you have some sort of bottleneck that's causing it.

 

Second thought, how is the 50-70 fps? is it buttery smooth? or is it stuttery? choppy? do you feel some sort of input lag, or does it play completely normally?

If it's smooth, then your solution *should* be simpler. 
If it's stuttery and choppy, then that's a different story.

Let's say it's smooth. The more rational assumption. There's probably a software bottlenecking your system, either the CPU or the GPU is being bottlenecked. Or, a certain specific in-game may be set to a high setting that just sh*ts on the CPU/GPU and causes performance to drop.
Software like GeForce, sometimes, I'm not really experienced with it so I don't fully know all the ins and outs and how it works, but, it could be controlling the performance of the laptop, or the settings of the game, if it had created an optimization profile for the game, it may be a cause. Or, limiting the performance by enabling some kind of, oh, I don't know, "battery mode", that one gave me a small headache once. From personal experience, and what I've done and what I would do, completely uninstall GeForce Experience, it's completely unnecessary for basic tasks, and doesn't affect performance at all (removing it wouldn't, is what I mean). Side note story, I once bought a laptop for a friend, it was Acer Helios 300, had a 1060 6GB in it. First game we tried on it, Far Cry 3, it ran on like 30-40 fps, he was so mad sad and angry, we went into GeForce and started looking around, and found that it had applied some weird V-Sync setting, we removed that and had around 100 fps at ultra settings.
So yeah wouldn't hurt to completely remove it, test, and decide from there. Or just check in it for BS.

Umm.. lastly, if the game isn't smooth or choppy, the problem may be more severe, like thermal throttling, or as one suggested memory could be very limited, or the GPU memory may be overflown, I dunno... some random hardware sh*t... who knows..

And uh... install some GPU and CPU benchmarks, and test both separately, and check if they're up to spec. Like 3Dfiremark everybody's always talking about, or the classic unigine heaven, or any random GPU benchmark you see have been tested on your specific model, and retest that. And same for CPU.

 

Lastly for the last time I swear, doesn't hurt to check updates for BIOS, triple check all bios settings, make sure there isn't some suspicious setting goofing around!

good luck, keep us posted! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 hours ago, _Syn_ said:

Are you sure it's 4GB DDR4? that doesn't sound right, but if I had to guess it's probably due to having Single Channel memory, you can get a big performance boost by going with Dual Channel.

Yes its a 4GB DDR4 and it is a Single Channel memory. When I run Dota the ram goes up to 92 and 93 percent. I suspect the bottleneck is the ram as well but does a ram has this much affect in fps performance?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 3/14/2020 at 12:59 AM, RonnieOP said:

How old are the youtube videos?

 

Has the game been updated since then? Have gpu drivers been updated since then?

 

 

1 to 2 years old and yes I have checked all of the drivers. I've installed and reinstalled them 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 3/14/2020 at 1:38 AM, iBoolGuy said:

things you can check, seeing if you have some kind of bottleneck. Use any software (or the task manager) to check the utilization of your GPU, and the CPU.
The GPU *should* be at %100. I'm not really sure how demanding your game is when it comes to CPU, and I'm not familiar with the 9300H to be specific. But in any case, for starters, if the GPU isn't at %100, you have some sort of bottleneck that's causing it.

 

Second thought, how is the 50-70 fps? is it buttery smooth? or is it stuttery? choppy? do you feel some sort of input lag, or does it play completely normally?

If it's smooth, then your solution *should* be simpler. 
If it's stuttery and choppy, then that's a different story.

Let's say it's smooth. The more rational assumption. There's probably a software bottlenecking your system, either the CPU or the GPU is being bottlenecked. Or, a certain specific in-game may be set to a high setting that just sh*ts on the CPU/GPU and causes performance to drop.
Software like GeForce, sometimes, I'm not really experienced with it so I don't fully know all the ins and outs and how it works, but, it could be controlling the performance of the laptop, or the settings of the game, if it had created an optimization profile for the game, it may be a cause. Or, limiting the performance by enabling some kind of, oh, I don't know, "battery mode", that one gave me a small headache once. From personal experience, and what I've done and what I would do, completely uninstall GeForce Experience, it's completely unnecessary for basic tasks, and doesn't affect performance at all (removing it wouldn't, is what I mean). Side note story, I once bought a laptop for a friend, it was Acer Helios 300, had a 1060 6GB in it. First game we tried on it, Far Cry 3, it ran on like 30-40 fps, he was so mad sad and angry, we went into GeForce and started looking around, and found that it had applied some weird V-Sync setting, we removed that and had around 100 fps at ultra settings.
So yeah wouldn't hurt to completely remove it, test, and decide from there. Or just check in it for BS.

Umm.. lastly, if the game isn't smooth or choppy, the problem may be more severe, like thermal throttling, or as one suggested memory could be very limited, or the GPU memory may be overflown, I dunno... some random hardware sh*t... who knows..

And uh... install some GPU and CPU benchmarks, and test both separately, and check if they're up to spec. Like 3Dfiremark everybody's always talking about, or the classic unigine heaven, or any random GPU benchmark you see have been tested on your specific model, and retest that. And same for CPU.

 

Lastly for the last time I swear, doesn't hurt to check updates for BIOS, triple check all bios settings, make sure there isn't some suspicious setting goofing around!

good luck, keep us posted! :)

I really hope it is the problem of the ram because then I can fix it by upgrading my rig. I'm more concerned if its a software issue because then I wouldn't know how to solve it. Any benchmark apps recommended?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×