LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Well I mean I dialed it back to reference speeds at the same 1.2V, from 1590 to 1470. At that time I was using fahbench to check stability and it would fail out very fast on one kind of work, took 30 minutes to fail out on the 2nd kind, and didn't get to testing the 3rd kind of WU that fahbench uses. So then I moved on to checking with LuxMark running several bench marks and letting it run on a stress test. I think I need something like prime95 but for opencl to check this card out better.

I did however not think to close and re-open the client between changes when I first came up against the problem. I'm still waiting on some CPU work, I need to install my new heat sink tomorrow evening and go back at it.

Make sure to hit quit by right clicking on the taskbar, and not the exit button close to 'preferences'. This closes only the advanced control panel, but the client will keep running in the background

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

It would appear the issue with struggling to get WUs has not gotten any better, but that's ok, I'm having a different problem.  Apologies if it's been mentioned already.

Basically, it will be chugging along and then all of a sudden get 3 errors in a row and give up:

00:14:46:WU00:FS01:0x22:Completed 20000 out of 2000000 steps (1%)
00:16:54:WU00:FS01:0x22:Completed 40000 out of 2000000 steps (2%)
00:19:02:WU00:FS01:0x22:Completed 60000 out of 2000000 steps (3%)
00:21:07:WU00:FS01:0x22:Completed 80000 out of 2000000 steps (4%)
00:21:21:WU00:FS01:0x22:Bad State detected... attempting to resume from last good checkpoint. Is your system overclocked?
00:21:21:WU00:FS01:0x22:Following exception occured: Particle coordinate is nan
00:21:24:WU00:FS01:0x22:Bad State detected... attempting to resume from last good checkpoint. Is your system overclocked?
00:21:24:WU00:FS01:0x22:Following exception occured: Particle coordinate is nan
00:21:27:WU00:FS01:0x22:Bad State detected... attempting to resume from last good checkpoint. Is your system overclocked?
00:21:27:WU00:FS01:0x22:Following exception occured: Particle coordinate is nan

Interesting that they actually misspelled "occurred", but I digress.

I do have an OC profile which I know to be 100% stable, but due to occasional issues with folding on it in the past, I've learned to not push it and have been running my card at stock and even below stock lately in hopes of avoiding this issue, yet it remains.  It's also rather suspicious to me that it can run sometimes for hours, reaching 50 or 60% with nary an issue, only to encounter a cluster like this all at once.  Surely if there were genuine stability problems I would see occasional issues throughout the WU (as I have seen many times in the past)?  At this point I have no choice but to assume the issue is not actually my system at all but rather something in their code, but if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix it, or at least a more reliable explanation of what's going on, it would be appreciated!

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It would appear the issue with struggling to get WUs has not gotten any better, but that's ok, I'm having a different problem.  Apologies if it's been mentioned already.

Basically, it will be chugging along and then all of a sudden get 3 errors in a row and give up:

I do have an OC profile which I know to be 100% stable, but due to occasional issues with folding on it in the past, I've learned to not push it and have been running my card at stock and even below stock lately in hopes of avoiding this issue, yet it remains.  It's also rather suspicious to me that it can run sometimes for hours, reaching 50 or 60% with nary an issue, only to encounter a cluster like this all at once.  Surely if there were genuine stability problems I would see occasional issues throughout the WU (as I have seen many times in the past)?  At this point I have no choice but to assume the issue is not actually my system at all but rather something in their code, but if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix it, or at least a more reliable explanation of what's going on, it would be appreciated!

When was the last time you folded? Core22 WUs fail super easy due to OCin

Also, My theory is that in the rush to release more WUs they skipped the advanced section and went straight from Beta to main branch as I have seen some really high failure rates even on my UNDERCLOCKED cards.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Also, My theory is that in the rush to release more WUs they skipped the advanced section and went straight from Beta to main branch as I have seen some really high failure rates even on my UNDERCLOCKED cards.

Ah I see, I was probably right then.  I have an R9 Fury which according to AMD has a stock clock of 1000 MHz, but my model shipped with a factory OC of 1050.  It runs flawlessly in other applications at 1150 MHz but this recent error happened at 1000 MHz so I'm not going to blame the card for it.  I guess I'll just wait for them to work this out.  No point clambering for WUs that will just fail anyway when there doesn't seem to be enough network bandwidth to serve everyone as it is.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Ah I see, I was probably right then.  I have an R9 Fury which according to AMD has a stock clock of 1000 MHz, but my model shipped with a factory OC of 1050.  It runs flawlessly in other applications at 1150 MHz but this recent error happened at 1000 MHz so I'm not going to blame the card for it.  I guess I'll just wait for them to work this out.  No point clambering for WUs that will just fail anyway when there doesn't seem to be enough network bandwidth to serve everyone as it is.

My advice is to fold regardless as they will analyse which units fail and pull them most likely

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

My advice is to fold regardless as they will analyse which units fail and pull them most likely

I'll try downclocking all the way to 900 MHz as well just to be extra safe.  Given that it can't run anywhere near full time due to the aforementioned shortage, I suppose there's no actual net loss of productivity by doing so.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'll try downclocking all the way to 900 MHz as well just to be extra safe.  Given that it can't run anywhere near full time due to the aforementioned shortage, I suppose there's no actual net loss of productivity by doing so.

I have tweeted F@H and Dr Greg to see if it is a known issue

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, CorruptedSanity said:

Well, I'm on day 3 of quarantine and just ventured into folding for the first time today!

My laptop and desktop are both currently chugging away haha. 

You ill or trying not to get ill?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

You ill or trying to to get ill?

Just precautions by my employer, there were 3 of us living in a small cabin while working out of town and my co-worker coughed up blood one morning and felt generally pretty terrible. 

1 minute ago, CorruptedSanity said:

Just precautions by my employer, there were 3 of us living in a small cabin while working out of town and my co-worker coughed up blood one morning and felt genally pretty terrible. 

Hope it all goes well, if you've read my blog post you'd see we are looking at self isolation to avoid the illness due to our health issues. 6 weeks minimum.... Not going to be fun

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

52 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

What hardware is failing out? AMD?

49 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

That's possible, this is my first time folding and first time with this hardware folding. I have an i5 4590 and I can stuff my RX580 back into that box and let it run too to see if it's my V56 or if it's AMD in general. My only Nvidia cards are in my HTPC which is not suitable to fold with and the other has a busted fan.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

What hardware is failing out? AMD?

a 1080, 2070 and a 2060. All team green 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

50 minutes ago, FakeGamerGuy said:

Got permission from my boss to run F@H on our machines at work. It's not much but a few 10-core i9s, GTX 1060s, and whatever misc. hardware I have at home (970SSC, 970SC, etc.) running in near-freezing temps should help a little.

your boss is a mvp

4 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Hope it all goes well, if you've read my blog post you'd see we are looking at self isolation to avoid the illness due to our health issues. 6 weeks minimum.... Not going to be fun

Yeah I did look over the blog post, hope you and your family make it through alright.  Definitely can't be too careful! 

Just now, CorruptedSanity said:

Yeah I did look over the blog post, hope you and your family make it through alright.  Definitely can't be too careful! 

How are you finding it so far?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

WOO!!!

Big up to Jason from EOC!

image.thumb.png.ecbcfa175fd6563efa0f3802d1d0e626.png

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

How are you finding it so far?

It's been a good time to catch up on movies, haven't had much more than a cough, sore throat and sneezes so far. 

Just moved into this place a couple months ago and I splurged for gigabit internet so me and another quarantined buddy have been just chilling lol. 

I hadn't stocked up any food or anything but his wife kindly dropped off some food and liquor today lol! 

Just now, CorruptedSanity said:

and liquor today lol! 

Priorities!

Love it!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, justpoet said:

Finally got my first WU since this thread started!

Feel the folding love!

Theres Fold in them thar hills!!!!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

would be really interesting to see the current processing power generated through F@H, preferrably in real time. Any way to see that?

9 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

would be really interesting to see the current processing power generated through F@H, preferrably in real time. Any way to see that?

No way, but it was at around 100 Pflops before, 

Dr Greg said they have had a 10x increase in the number of folders... 

So 500-1000 Pflops could be realistic when WUs get doled out properly 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240