LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

Seemed simple enough! 1 server ready and waiting!

My Folding Stats Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! 

Aviation Engineer by day,

Game Developer by Night,

IT Engineer for a Hobby,

Husband in between!

Proud creator of EvoCore! 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.retrodex.evocore&hl=en

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/evocore/id1459714064

7 minutes ago, Red :) said:

Hey, I'm new to folding, so I'd like to ask: Is it possible to keep the WU progress anywhere outside the system's RAM?

I'm asking, because the estimated WU completion date sadly coincides with the planned power outage date.

By default F@H has checkpoints, in the event your PC shuts off, you can still keep going.

The default value is making a checkpoint every 5 minutes, which can be changed in Configure > Advanced > Checkpointing Frequency.

You don't want to keep a WU waiting too long though, because:

1. that means your amount of points reward will decrease

2. it could mean a dropped WU at some point, or at least work F@H has to reshuffle to other users (maybe I'll get some WU's at that point :^) )

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Hey guys,

I have a small question: is it normal to only get a small part of the promised points?
As an example: I just finished a GPU workload with 66000 estimated points and a base credit of 7600. After uploading I just got credited 10000 points, though. All my workloads are handled similarly to this. In the 2 days of folding, I only got about 35000 points total, but I finished and uploaded about 5 CPU and 4 GPU workloads. All CPU workloads had an estimated credit of at least 2500 and all GPU workloads had estimated credits of at least 50000.
Is it normal to only get such a small amount of points and the estimated credit is there for no reason or what is the problem?

Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

By default F@H has checkpoints, in the event your PC shuts off, you can still keep going.

The default value is making a checkpoint every 5 minutes, which can be changed in Configure > Advanced > Checkpointing Frequency.

You don't want to keep a WU waiting too long though, because:

1. that means your amount of points reward will decrease

2. it could mean a dropped WU at some point, or at least work F@H has to reshuffle to other users (maybe I'll get some WU's at that point :^) )

Well, the power is supposed to be out for 5,5 hours, so... :/

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

15 minutes ago, garydeppenbaugh said:

An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.

Sounds like it could be a firewall or antivirus software issue

12 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

ok so now i get WUs more rarely and if i do it seems to only gives me CPU WUs 

Its all over the place, don't worry it will catch up eventually.  I did about three GPU WUs earlier and now nothing for hours.
Had no CPU WUs for several hours either but a couple just showed up.

Also one of my GPUs jobs from yesterday still hasn't submitted and so has past the timeout. :(

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

NZXT users, keep an eye out on the cooling, failure can happen with the latest patch. I had to restart CAM several times until it recognized itself and allowed me to tweak the cooling curve.

Happy folding!

3 minutes ago, Maroza said:

NZXT users, keep an eye out on the cooling, failure can happen with the latest patch. I had to restart CAM several times until it recognized itself and allowed me to tweak the cooling curve.

Happy folding!

That's a spicy little bug... ooof

Just now, LordKitsune said:

That's a spicy little bug... ooof

heh

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, ChuckNorris said:

Hey guys,

I have a small question: is it normal to only get a small part of the promised points?
As an example: I just finished a GPU workload with 66000 estimated points and a base credit of 7600. After uploading I just got credited 10000 points, though. All my workloads are handled similarly to this. In the 2 days of folding, I only got about 35000 points total, but I finished and uploaded about 5 CPU and 4 GPU workloads. All CPU workloads had an estimated credit of at least 2500 and all GPU workloads had estimated credits of at least 50000.
Is it normal to only get such a small amount of points and the estimated credit is there for no reason or what is the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Just read through the F@H FAQ https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/points/
Could it be that I am simply not entitled for bonus points yet?

1 minute ago, ChuckNorris said:

Just read through the F@H FAQ https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/points/
Could it be that I am simply not entitled for bonus points yet?

We’re you maybe reading “estimated points per day”?  That I assume involves what would be happening if there was always a WU ready for you and you ran it for 24hrs.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

We’re you maybe reading “estimated points per day”?  That I assume involves what would be happening if there was always a WU ready for you and you ran it for 24hrs.

No, in the web viewer I can read for my GPU:
"estimated points per day: 1,254,975" and "estimated points: 71,678"
In the end I only got credited about 10,000 points or so, like I said...

3 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

You clearly never ran amd if you think your CPU got too warm.

Ha, well when I started being able to smell the CPU I thought it was best to not fold with it 😂

I was thinking about helping fight against COVID-19 and started folding. Then saw this from google search. Well, it won't hurt joining a team while I'm at it, I guess.

Hi everyone, I'm new at using Folding@Home.

My CPU and GPU are running at the same time, both are nice and warm and being utilized nicely, but contrary to the CPU, my GPU appears to make no progress, it's stuck at 0%.

Does the progress refresh at a lower frequency for the GPU than the CPU?

3 minutes ago, oscar7601 said:

My CPU and GPU are running at the same time, both are nice and warm and being utilized nicely, but contrary to the CPU, my GPU appears to make no progress, it's stuck at 0%.

It takes time to fetch and download a work unit(WU) I think. My second WU started after 20mins and 9 search attempts in client.

Just now, oscar7601 said:

No, they should refresh at the same speed. Are you sure your GPU has a WU? It will stay at 0% while it is requesting a WU download from the servers. In you advanced control, does the GPU slot say "Ready" beside it? If so, it's likely just waiting for delivery.

Also, GPU WUs tend to be more complex than CPU ones, and if your GPU is an older model you could just be progressing slower on it than expected.

Just now, Ghost.Hunterzz said:

It takes time to fetch and download a work unit(WU) I think. My second WU started after 20mins and 9 search attempts in client.

Yes I understand this but my GPU is already at work (pinned at 100% utilization) and its status in Folding is "Running".

I am simply curious of knowing if it's normal that it's stuck at 0% for a long period of time (over 1h30).

It's a GTX 1080.

1 minute ago, oscar7601 said:

Yes I understand this but my GPU is already at work (pinned at 100% utilization) and its status in Folding is "Running".

I am simply curious of knowing if it's normal that it's stuck at 0% for a long period of time (over 1h30).

It's a GTX 1080.

Try pausing it and restarting. If that doesn't do it, maybe @Metallus97 or one of the other vets would know something more. This is only my 3rd day in the fold :D

Just now, LordKitsune said:

Try pausing it and restarting. If that doesn't do it, maybe @Metallus97 or one of the other vets would know something more. This is only my 3rd day in the fold :D

Alright I am going to try this. :)

Here is a screenshot of the advanced view :

vk9RKED.png

2 minutes ago, oscar7601 said:

vk9RKED.png

Good luck! I'm gonna head back out into the world. Work cut my shifts so I've been stuck at home for the last couple of days watching fold bars progress! 

3 minutes ago, oscar7601 said:

vk9RKED.png

Maybe try restarting the client?

Restarting the client didn't change a thing either unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure my GPU is doing something given its temperature and the fact its utilization is pinned at 100% but the outcome is not displayed...

Alright so the GPU is actually working just fine but the progress percentage is only displayed in the "log" tab in advanced view.

Actually not, it was the CPU progress being displayed...

Edited by oscar7601