LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

11 minutes ago, Daylus said:

Absolutely. These are all excellent points and reasons why I left it on. I just didn't want my already hot office getting hotter for inducing labor. I have since learned that I'm an idiot that didn't check for an update before bitching in the forum. :) All sorted now. Great reply!

One silver lining if it helps any:

.  None of the other stuff is unimportant.  F@H only does research on seriously awful diseases.  It might not have been covid but it was something that needed doing.  It’s not like some 11 year old was playing Minecraft on your dime  Worst case you accidentally helped cure cancer or something

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

One silver lining if it helps any:

.  None of the other stuff is unimportant.  F@H only does research on seriously awful diseases.  It might not have been covid but it was something that needed doing.  It’s not like some 11 year old was playing Minecraft on your dime  Worst case you accidentally helped cure cancer or something

Totally with you. I never said that any of it was unimportant. I also left everything on precisely for that reason. This WU will finish.  I do however like the control to target my resources as I see fit, hence the frustration.

3 hours ago, Daylus said:

My GPU keeps getting used for random other things and my CPU for COVID. WTF?

Those other things also need to be done. If you didn't get COVID it means there was no COVID WU available and your GPU would have been idle instead if you selected COVID only.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 hours ago, Daylus said:

I just assumed they could update that remotely, requiring a client update seems rather counterproductive.

No one can do that. It's like hoping for motherboard manufacturer to automatically update BIOS on your Mobo...

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Well if your cpu is yes for covid but your gpu isn’t it could be that:

A: since CPU and GPU tasks are completely different they’ve got tasks for covid that need CPUs and you’ve got a good one, or at least one that is good for them to use for whatever reason, so it gets used a lotbut the GPU tasks are either not as good for covid stuff or the covid stuff hasn’t been set up to use GPUs or there are a lot more GPUs grinding than CPUs and they’re thinner on the ground or the GPU stuff can also be done by ASAIC machines and there’s more power in ASAIC at the moment than there is in all of the rest of F@H or Jeff Bezos released  the microsoft kraken but only for GPU stuff so all of it is going to one of those places or who the heck knows.  Atm they can use your CPU for reasons known to themselves.  I would personally appreciate it if you let them do that.

It's ASIC, not ASAIC.

And ASICs cannot be used for F@H. 

ASIC (as name suggests - "application-specific integrated circuit") are made for specific applications and they are mostly popular in mining. 

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

31 minutes ago, Favebook said:

No one can do that. It's like hoping for motherboard manufacturer to automatically update BIOS on your Mobo...

It's ASIC, not ASAIC.

And ASICs cannot be used for F@H. 

ASIC (as name suggests - "application-specific integrated circuit") are made for specific applications and they are mostly popular in mining. 

It successfully conveyed what I was talking about though.  They don’t do f@h but they do do curecoin which isn’t f@h but is used by researchers.  It would still suck up GPU based work if all they can do is GPU based workloads.  Remember the people making the workloads are the researchers and they will pick whatever they get the fastest results from. They’re not locked to F@h.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Kalvin_Smith said:

F@H client update. Fold All Covid All the time!

-SNIP-

Both because of low WU count in general, and because other disease search is still important, I'm gonna keep mine on "Any"

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

7 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Both because of low WU count in general, and because other disease search is still important, I'm gonna keep mine on "Any"

yep, anyting to get more stable WU flow to my machines. 

I just got some weird bug but i manage to solve it..i think. So i'm gonna post here in case someone has the same problem.

So i fresh install windows 10, let it finish updating and all. Then when i installed the latest fah client, it doesn't show any of my gpu. System info gpu: 0. After tried different drivers and still didn't work, i tried the previous version of it and finally able to add 2 gpus. After that just install the latest one over the previous and it's good to go. 

Here's the link in case anyone need.

Version 7.5.1 link: https://download.foldingathome.org/releases/public/release/fah-installer/windows-10-32bit/v7.5/

Edited by snorlaxgangs
link

Just now, InR said:

i know it ain't much compared to you guys, but i only have one pc :)

-snip-

Bro! We are proud and thankful for every one that can help the cause.

So gogogogo for the next 200 WUs!

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Don't know if there are still new people to folding, but I will say here that one of the best upgrade you can do is change your CPU Cooler (for thoses folding with CPU too). I just changed my stock cooler (AMD Ryzen 5), and it runs 20°C colder, it made me gain 50 Mhz, and more importantly, it's really quiet compared to what I had. [I was running around 80°C on some WU, so -jet like full spin fan noise, now I Have a big 9 hour WU and it's at 59°C]

Thinking about it, this is the first time this computer has fold (by that I mean that last time before the "call to arms" on the wan show in march, I hadn't fold on this computer). Should'nt have listen to my goto Builder, and put one when I bought it. "Stock cooler will be fine" he said...

2 minutes ago, Cabanaj said:

Don't know if there are still new people to folding, but I will say here that one of the best upgrade you can do is change your CPU Cooler (for thoses folding with CPU too). I just changed my stock cooler (AMD Ryzen 5), and it runs 20°C colder, it made me gain 50 Mhz, and more importantly, it's really quiet compared to what I had. [I was running around 80°C on some WU, so -jet like full spin fan noise, now I Have a big 9 hour WU and it's at 59°C]

Thinking about it, this is the first time this computer has fold (by that I mean that last time before the "call to arms" on the wan show in march, I hadn't fold on this computer). Should'nt have listen to my goto Builder, and put one when I bought it. "Stock cooler will be fine" he said...

I’d say this one is perhaps pertinent to more than just folding.  Which ryzen5?  Was the cooler set horizontal or vertical?  ( betting vertical motherboard). Which cooler did you change to?

Just checked and right now folding what must be the largest WU my 1070 has handled so far: almost 200K estimated points. It's 30+% already done, and still 4+ hours to go:

20200423-1000_Folding_Captura.PNG

7 minutes ago, raulinbonn said:

Just checked and right now folding what must be the largest WU my 1070 has handled so far: almost 200K estimated points. It's 30+% already done, and still 4+ hours to go:

20200423-1000_Folding_Captura.PNG

Ya I like that project I've had a few WUs from it. On RTX 2060 they take around 4 1/2 hours and pay out 230,000 points.

7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I’d say this one is perhaps pertinent to more than just folding.  Which ryzen5?  Was the cooler set horizontal or vertical?  ( betting vertical motherboard). Which cooler did you change to?

A ryzen 5 2600 [family 23 Model 8 Stepping 2] 3.4 Mhz on an Asus Prime B450-Plus.
As for fan orientation All I can say is that it was the stock one and that the fan was on top of the cooler, and parallel to the CPU (would that make it vertical? I don't know what is the point of reference, the CPU, or the Tower orientation (and motherboard by the same token).

And for your last question, a Noctua DH-15S , the Noctua NH-D15 2xNF-A15 was out of stock.

Believe it or not, I play sometimes on this rig, and the CPU never fully worked before I restarted folding. One of the game (don't know if it is very demanding) was FFXV, otherwise I play 4X games. And more occasionnally, games from Bethesda.But less and less I will admit. I wal limited to my GTX 970 before, but I had it replaced 3 week ago (Fans Gave up).

1 hour ago, Cabanaj said:

A ryzen 5 2600 [family 23 Model 8 Stepping 2] 3.4 Mhz on an Asus Prime B450-Plus.
As for fan orientation All I can say is that it was the stock one and that the fan was on top of the cooler, and parallel to the CPU (would that make it vertical? I don't know what is the point of reference, the CPU, or the Tower orientation (and motherboard by the same token).

And for your last question, a Noctua DH-15S , the Noctua NH-D15 2xNF-A15 was out of stock.

Believe it or not, I play sometimes on this rig, and the CPU never fully worked before I restarted folding. One of the game (don't know if it is very demanding) was FFXV, otherwise I play 4X games. And more occasionnally, games from Bethesda.But less and less I will admit. I wal limited to my GTX 970 before, but I had it replaced 3 week ago (Fans Gave up).

A 2600 should run pretty cool as it is, especially once you run the core voltage down a bit, most will run stable with quite a lot less voltage than what AMD and board partners have set up for 'auto' voltage. I tuned my friends 1600AF down substantially and have it able to run very cool and very quiet under a Wraith Prism. I forget the exact numbers but it was something like a negative 0.100 mv offset and had no problem holding full clocks all the time even under prime95, able to hit the absolute maximum for that model CPU.

@Bitter I rarely play with voltage and settings in general, but Thanks for the info, will look into it. 

The stock cooler with this CPU I had looked like the Wraith Spire. Anyway, I was burn in the pas with stock cooler, so when I started to hear alarms beeps, I didn't want to take any chance. SO I won't have buyer's remorse in this case. And I really appreciate the quiteness.

Damn, i re-installed windows 10 and get zero QRB for 2 days already. Does anyone know how to fix it? Does it have anything to do with dropping a few projects? 

Edit: I request new passkey but before i do anything, ppd goes up to the usual again. Strange.

19 minutes ago, snorlaxgangs said:

Damn, i re-installed windows 10 and get zero QRB for 2 days already. Does anyone know how to fix it? Does it have anything to do with dropping a few projects? 

If buy "few" you mean more than 20% of your total, then yes, you will not get QRB until you reach 80.1% (or basically more than 80%) success rate.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

51 minutes ago, snorlaxgangs said:

Edit: I request new passkey but before i do anything, ppd goes up to the usual again. Strange.

You should use the same name and passkey you already used.

Unrelated, just passed 50M :)

50M.png.d8193082cba799303c4704da8095d750.png

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Hey, I just downloaded F@H. How do I set the team to ltt? And how to I make it so my GPU works too?

2 hours ago, TheRessurection said:

Hey, I just downloaded F@H. How do I set the team to ltt? And how to I make it so my GPU works too?

In the WEB UI CONTROL

click on change identity... there setup your ID and team number is 223518.

the Passkey is optional but recommended