LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

image.thumb.png.37e023039c7ba04367353654cfbf572d.png

0.526 * 60 * 24 = $757.44/day

Or in gamer math, 1 RTX 2080 Super per day.

Those are crazy high prices I never saw. The worst I got was $0.15/hr. It would have broke the bank to try to run at those rates. If you go to EC2 | Spot Requests | Pricing History you can see the actual rates.

Or you can get fancy with the command line:

aws ec2 describe-spot-price-history --region us-east-2 --instance-type g4dn.xlarge

So reading this topic about running multiple Video cards could I just throw in another card in an empty PCIe 3.0x 16 slot and it would work without bottlenecking and basically double the Folding production?

17 minutes ago, Boyce1 said:

So reading this topic about running multiple Video cards could I just throw in another card in an empty PCIe 3.0x 16 slot and it would work without bottlenecking and basically double the Folding production?

AFAIK, yes.

F@H    EOC

P106-100 looks more up to snuff now, PPD estimates have climbed and estimated time to completion has fallen sharply, looking at about 300,000 PPD which is on target for the hardware.

Also passed 10M today, yay me.

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

P106-100 looks more up to snuff now, PPD estimates have climbed and estimated time to completion has fallen sharply, looking at about 300,000 PPD which is on target for the hardware.

Nice, may have to look into grabbing one of those for a 24/7 folder

F@H    EOC

8 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

AFAIK, yes.

Aren't there situations where the CPU itsellf can become the bottleneck as far as PCIE lanes go?

For instance, say the board specs at a certain number of lanes, but the CPU specs out lower?

Alienware Area 51m 2019:  RTX 2060 | i7-9700 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) 2666 | 1TB 970 EVO | 240GB Corsair Force MP510.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=812790

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NZKshatriya/saved/

BACKUP SYSTEM:  ASUS Prime X470 PRO | Ryzen 5 1600 | G.skill FORTIS 16GB(2x8GB) 2400 | SanDisk SDSSDA 120GB | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 | HAF-XB-EVO

Newb question: Is running 2x rx 5700 xt cards in crossfire any benefit to folding? I have had this running all day and seems I am only getting WU for my cpu.

7 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

AFAIK, yes.

Damn it!  I was kind of hoping the answer was no.  Now I'll probably end up spending more money!  LOL

But thanks for the reply anyway!  🙂

1 minute ago, NZKshatriya said:

Aren't there situations where the CPU itsellf can become the bottleneck as far as PCIE lanes go?

For instance, say the board specs at a certain number of lanes, but the CPU specs out lower?

It's possible if the system has fewer than 32 PCIe lanes, or a PCIe SSD is hogging more lanes than it should. However, modern GPUs just can't saturate a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot's bandwidth, so it shouldn't be an issue.

F@H    EOC

Just now, jctappel67 said:

It's possible if the system has fewer than 32 PCIe lanes, or a PCIe SSD is hogging more lanes than it should. However, modern GPUs just can't saturate a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot's bandwidth, so it shouldn't be an issue.

That's what I wasn't recalling.

Alienware Area 51m 2019:  RTX 2060 | i7-9700 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) 2666 | 1TB 970 EVO | 240GB Corsair Force MP510.

BACKUP SYSTEM:  ASUS Prime X470 PRO | Ryzen 5 1600 | G.skill FORTIS 16GB(2x8GB) 2400 | SanDisk SDSSDA 120GB | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 | HAF-XB-EVO

Spoiler
14 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Also passed 10M today, yay me.

What are you reading as far as power draw for the card?

OEC , F@H

Ryzen 5 3600, MSI Tomahawk Max, 16Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz, AMD RX590, WD Black PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 500GB

11 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

Nice, may have to look into grabbing one of those for a 24/7 folder

I bought one without fans from a seller called bitspro but the price jumped right after my purchase, so find them, find the card, and watch it until the price falls back to around $90 or under.

1 minute ago, Gustavehomme01 said:
Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

What are you reading as far as power draw for the card?

I haven't yet, it's loaded in a Linux system and I'm not sure how to view that like I would in Windows with something like HWinfo. If you know or if I figure out how I'll certainly post about it. Card has a 120W TDP so it should be under that figure. Seems to run at a steady 60C in the current case with mediocre air flow. I plan on pulling the cooler to clean it better and re-paste it, the heat sink it's got on it is pretty crappy so the fans are at like 60-70% for 60C, temps fall A LOT when the case side is opened up though. I'll do all that in a few days or next weekend when I build out it's final resting place in the basement.

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I haven't yet, it's loaded in a Linux system and I'm not sure how to view that like I would in Windows with something like HWinfo. If you know or if I figure out how I'll certainly post about it. Card has a 120W TDP so it should be under that figure. Seems to run at a steady 60C in the current case with mediocre air flow. I plan on pulling the cooler to clean it better and re-paste it, the heat sink it's got on it is pretty crappy so the fans are at like 60-70% for 60C, temps fall A LOT when the case side is opened up though. I'll do all that in a few days or next weekend when I build out it's final resting place in the basement.

Command line: nvidia-smi 

Shows all relevant data, including power draw

F@H    EOC

For a 24/7 folder I'll probably be rebuilding around an old Asus M5A88-M I have.  Just need an 8GB stick or so of ddr3, whatevers decently priced in the 2.0 X16 market as well as use one of my 2.5" SSDs laying around.

Probably go with a setup like this assuming I can find everything else cheaper on the used market (I hope)

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NZKshatriya/saved/#view=9Zrt8d

Just now, cyberjunaid said:

We made it guys...Hope we made a difference.

I just sat on my rear........

:P

17 minutes ago, Kalvin_Smith said:

Newb question: Is running 2x rx 5700 xt cards in crossfire any benefit to folding? I have had this running all day and seems I am only getting WU for my cpu.

Crossfire/SLI have no benefit.

The cards themselves will fold quite well though.

8 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

Command line: nvidia-smi 

Shows all relevant data, including power draw

Around 100W it looks like, refreshed it several times over a couple minutes and the highest I saw was 105W with most being between 95 and 105W.

58 minutes ago, Rune said:

Well, machines at work are getting 1/10 units of normal so its as good a time as any to take them down in preparation of phase two.

I came home to a PC with an idle GPU! The horror! A reset for the first time in days.  We finishing all the work we're assigned like A students?

4 minutes ago, NZKshatriya said:

Yes, but only under very demanding load conditions like multi-user servers, like a Storage Area Network server with lots of attached SSD, 10 or 40 gigabit Ethernet and/or fast fibre channel, etc. It's nice having lots of PCIe lanes (more than 16), but they cannot usually be well utilized on a desktop PC. Notice how PCI3 4.0 NVMe storage doesn't necessarily improve games loading times, etc. (Windows NTFS leaves something to be desired in this context.)

PCIe 3.0 is made of ~1GB bi-directional lanes that can be shared between devices. It's conceivable that loading a billion vertices onto a graphics card will keep a 16-lane PCI 3.0 connection busy for a few moments, but this traffic load on the PCIe bus is generally not sustained for very long. You could use PCIe to compensate for a lack of texture memory on a video card, but the results are not great. Not sure how much CPU/GPU data exchange is required for folding, but I would suspect 4-lanes would be more than enough.

PCIe 4.0 16-lane bandwidth (31.5GB/s) looks like dual-channel DDR4-2166 RAM (34.7GB/s).

F@H

Current config:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI, 64GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6000 (30-40-40-96), Aorus RTX3080 TI Xtreme, 2x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, ASUS XG-C100C, Corsair RM850x, Corsair H115i Pro RGB w/ 2,000 rpm ML fans, Fractal Design Meshify S2, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD 24" 4K

9 minutes ago, justpoet said:

Nope. Each GPU gets its own folding slot allocated, so a crossfire bridge isn't used or required.

F@H

Current config:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI, 64GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6000 (30-40-40-96), Aorus RTX3080 TI Xtreme, 2x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, ASUS XG-C100C, Corsair RM850x, Corsair H115i Pro RGB w/ 2,000 rpm ML fans, Fractal Design Meshify S2, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD 24" 4K

20 minutes ago, justpoet said:

they do fold quite well make sure to ramp the fan curve if you know how makes me feel better seeing it chigging away at 62C 

<rant> DAM you @Zberg For some reason yet beyond my comprehension i have orders the Meshify S2 IN WHITE.  mostly because 1 i want to move my computer and 2 testing Flexo he doesnt like the confines of the XPS 7100 so he will be getting the Corsair Chassis... and 3 I want GLASS i might have scratched the plexy the Corsair chassis has on it...and im too anal about that... and 4 your computer looked good in white hence why im blaming you...i know its the meshify but i want airflow lol...but do like the look of the define...</rant>

My EOC F@H stats | My F@H Stats | My Real time F@H Production | My Boinc Stats

My team in point Generation order:

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

2023 Model 3 Ryzen APU | 2TB Samsung T7

Useful stuff i may mention

F@H Babysitter | F@H in the Dark | HFM Setup

3 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Hey guys, quick update, the ceremony is coming, just not feeling all to well today! 

Out of all the days to feel unwell, it is today!

Reveal hidden contents

It's not COVID or anything respiratory, nothing series like that!

Get some rest, feel better soon, you deserve it.  I'll toast you with a a nice glass of wine tonight.

7 minutes ago, cbigfoot said:

they do fold quite well make sure to ramp the fan curve if you know how makes me feel better seeing it chigging away at 62C 

<rant> DAM you @Zberg For some reason yet beyond my comprehension i have orders the Meshify S2 IN WHITE.  mostly because 1 i want to move my computer and 2 testing Flexo he doesnt like the confines of the XPS 7100 so he will be getting the Corsair Chassis... and 3 I want GLASS i might have scratched the plexy the Corsair chassis has on it...and im too anal about that... and 4 your computer looked good in white hence why im blaming you...i know its the meshify but i want airflow lol...but do like the look of the define...</rant>

Oh, I shall be buying a Corsair 1000D because size based anti-theft, dual system, and shininess...

and because the gov't is throwing us $1200 checks so why not stim the economy....

I *may* end up repainting the steel though......