LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

12 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

https://foldingforum.org/ I believe here or their social media accounts (forums are likely better)

I reported in using the 'bug report' under the HELP menu in the web client.

1 hour ago, Ambrose_M said:

I reported in using the 'bug report' under the HELP menu in the web client.

Ah ok, never knew there was one on the web client. I only use the Advanced Control which weirdly doesn't have one.

7 hours ago, raulinbonn said:

Continuing these recursive photos, not same class of drink but Jägermeister is still delicious :)

20200411_123622.jpg

Unfriend Unfried Unfriend!!!  😊

My neighbor has a Search Results Jägermeister machine and about killed me with Jagerbombs!

I do believe I can top that with this bottle which is about 50 years old from the old Harvey Wallbanger days.  An old high school buddy visited about 3 years ago and we thought we’d give some Wallbangers  a try…This stuff had “turned” and they were terrible .   Making a picture of this20200411_140307.thumb.jpg.81c7c1c4900edf81ed2d52cf64913797.jpg post must have been the reason I’ve kept it!

20mil for LTT team. 😁

BTW, i tried mod 300w 1550MHz bios for my 980Ti, stable and do 2 big WU. However, it's hot even with my ambient wc, 50*C underload, room temp 30C, the board is damn hot to the touch, 60-70*C. Already throw some fans, open windows etc.. My question is, does it last long for 24/7 folding? Has anyone done the same  for awhile, and if there is please tell me the result. 

20mil.jpg

1 hour ago, NetoriusNick said:

black cow vodka today

Image from iOS (1).jpg

Is that a wallpaper/backgroup promoting Linux on a Windows machine I see there ... 😂

12 minutes ago, Tomatodude95 said:

Is that a wallpaper/backgroup promoting Linux on a Windows machine I see there ... 😂

This August will mark the 3rd year that Linux has been available on Windows. I use it every day. 

Just now, Macaw2000 said:

This August will mark the 3rd year that Linux has been available on Windows. I use it every day. 

Ok, yes I know about WSL, but at least for me it's not really the same. But I get where your coming from and especially with the remark below, it makes a lot of sense though.

Hopefully an easy question...

I just got a video card and installed it.  It's still only picking up CPU WUs after about 24ish hours.  Is there anything I need to do to let them know they can use video too.  Is there still somewhat of a shortage of GPU WUs or do they just like my CPU better than my video card that is only an RTX 2060 Super with all the much faster video cards out there?  I don't care which type of WUs I get just want to make sure they can use whichever they want.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Boyce1 said:

Hopefully an easy question...

I just got a video card and installed it.  It's still only picking up CPU WUs after about 24ish hours.  Is there anything I need to do to let them know they can use video too.  Is there still somewhat of a shortage of GPU WUs or do they just like my CPU better than my video card that is only an RTX 2060 Super with all the much faster video cards out there?  I don't care which type of WUs I get just want to make sure they can use whichever they want.

Thanks!

First of all, yes there probably still is some GPU WU shortage out there. I'm guessing your GPU is showing up on either the web-interface or the advance client right? If not you need to add another slot in the advanced config for your GPU. You should be able to do both CPU and GPU WU at the same time, so either be patient and wait to get a WU or you could set the client-type to advanced or even beta in the advanced client under the expert tab. Does that make sense? If not just tell me what you need clarification on.

Screwed some AMD fans to the Nvidia P106, popped it in a slot, and it's up and running. It's WAY down on PPD but I think that's cause it's in a PCIe 2.0 x8 slot possibly and also I think the wrong driver version on Ubuntu possibly. Trying to install the more correct driver I'll probably break the GTX 650 driver doing so. But it does work! Not getting temps through sensors for some reason, likely drivers? It feels cool to the touch which makes me think it's not doing nearly as much work as it should be doing.

47 minutes ago, Tomatodude95 said:

more for the servers I run Yet to make the push to linux for my gaming rig.

Just now, Bitter said:

Screwed some AMD fans to the Nvidia P106, popped it in a slot, and it's up and running. It's WAY down on PPD but I think that's cause it's in a PCIe 2.0 x8 slot possibly and also I think the wrong driver version on Ubuntu possibly. Trying to install the more correct driver I'll probably break the GTX 650 driver doing so. But it does work! Not getting temps through sensors for some reason, likely drivers? It feels cool to the touch which makes me think it's not doing nearly as much work as it should be doing.

I'm guessing it's the drivers. PCIe bandwidth isn't really an issue for folding. I have an old GTX 770 running in a probably broken slot that only get 3.0 x1 bandwidth and it performs as it should/did before it was bumped by the upgrade.

Just now, NetoriusNick said:

more for the servers I run Yet to make the push to linux for my gaming rig.

Yeah that makes sense, I still have a windows drive in my system for the exact same reason. I use Linux on the daily and whenever a game runs on linux, but I'll reboot and switch to Windows when it doesn't run on linux (yet, hopefully).

9 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I will be writing the awards ceremony this afternoon, it is currently 1030 here so expect it in the next 12 hours or so. 

I'm still trying to work out the best way to deal with 250+ prizes, as in distribution. I will probably do what I always do and ask people to DM me. 

EDIT: No idea where I got 700+ from, thats what I get for not paying attention!

Can't wait for a nice break

700+ likely came from lack of sleep/food/too much staying in a box too long.

Alienware Area 51m 2019:  RTX 2060 | i7-9700 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) 2666 | 1TB 970 EVO | 240GB Corsair Force MP510.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=812790

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NZKshatriya/saved/

BACKUP SYSTEM:  ASUS Prime X470 PRO | Ryzen 5 1600 | G.skill FORTIS 16GB(2x8GB) 2400 | SanDisk SDSSDA 120GB | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 | HAF-XB-EVO

Well, after reliably getting units......I've hit an 6 hour dry spell for some reason

Alienware Area 51m 2019:  RTX 2060 | i7-9700 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) 2666 | 1TB 970 EVO | 240GB Corsair Force MP510.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=812790

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NZKshatriya/saved/

BACKUP SYSTEM:  ASUS Prime X470 PRO | Ryzen 5 1600 | G.skill FORTIS 16GB(2x8GB) 2400 | SanDisk SDSSDA 120GB | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 | HAF-XB-EVO

17 minutes ago, Tomatodude95 said:

I'm guessing it's the drivers. PCIe bandwidth isn't really an issue for folding. I have an old GTX 770 running in a probably broken slot that only get 3.0 x1 bandwidth and it performs as it should/did before it was bumped by the upgrade.

I got the drivers sorted, still seems low, have a proper temp reading now. I wonder if it's got a modded BIOS on it since it's a used mining card. I'll have to figure that out later, just let it do it's 24hr work unit then mess with it some. Also get some slim fans so it's not a 3 slot card!

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

I got the drivers sorted, still seems low, have a proper temp reading now. I wonder if it's got a modded BIOS on it since it's a used mining card. I'll have to figure that out later, just let it do it's 24hr work unit then mess with it some. Also get some slim fans so it's not a 3 slot card!

Yeah thats more or less what I meant, since your using a mining card I don't know what the drivers look like on linux (I've never had a mining card) but if your using standard drivers (GTX version I mean) for the mining card, there's probably some miss-match or inefficiency somewhere on there. Nvidia always can be tricky to get right under linux.
Do you mean modded BIOS as in a different one from the regular GPUs using a TPU 106 die? (So that would be a 1060 if I'm not mistaken right?)

1 hour ago, Macaw2000 said:

91105161_10156966182645840_1747766924550340608_o.thumb.jpg.c3becf4fd1e8840f50a57f8157da4337.jpg

Still folding on a smaller cluster (7M PPD). Set up a green screen so I can have fun with all these Zoom calls.

what kinda cluster tho?

28 minutes ago, Tomatodude95 said:

First of all, yes there probably still is some GPU WU shortage out there. I'm guessing your GPU is showing up on either the web-interface or the advance client right? If not you need to add another slot in the advanced config for your GPU. You should be able to do both CPU and GPU WU at the same time, so either be patient and wait to get a WU or you could set the client-type to advanced or even beta in the advanced client under the expert tab. Does that make sense? If not just tell me what you need clarification on.

Thank you, I was able to add a slot for GPU and I see GPU showing up in the System Info so I guess it is working.  Thanks again for helping out this noob!