LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Well you know how to fix that, but yourself a couple new GPUs!

Wonder what is the best $$$ per point card at the moment

BOINC - F@H

2 minutes ago, ffbr said:

RTX 2060 KO

2 minutes ago, ffbr said:

2060 or 2060S if you are considering TCO over a period of time then maybe the better PPD/W of the 2080ti may top it imo. @Gorgon any input?

I know you have made some pretty sheets about this

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, leadeater said:

RTX 2060 KO

The KO is terrible for folding as it uses more power than a 2060 or 2060S. So if your power if free then yeah, if not, better to spend the extra on a none-KO card. IMO. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

2060 or 2060S if you are considering TCO over a period of time then maybe the better PPD/W of the 2080ti may top it imo. @Gorgon any input?

I know you have made some pretty sheets about this

i mean, given a long enough period of time any better PPD/W card will be cheaper in the long run.

if you spend over 1K on a card tough, that might become one looooong run 😛

Just now, RollinLower said:

i mean, given a long enough period of time any better PPD/W card will be cheaper in the long run.

if you spend over 1K on a card tough, that might become one looooong run 😛

Honestly I have no idea what a 2080ti costs these days.

I buy used/referbed 2060/2070 cards for stupid low prices using ebay sniping

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Woo Hoo just got an e-mail. The last of my new hardware, which I ordered last Friday, has just been depatch and should be delivered "between 9:00am - 5:30pm on Saturday". Guess I building a new system tomorrow.

I know everyone is having problems at the moment but I think 7 days to get an order out when I payed for next day delivery is a bit much.

11 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

The KO is terrible for folding as it uses more power than a 2060 or 2060S. So if your power if free then yeah, if not, better to spend the extra on a none-KO card. IMO. 

The KO (not KO Ultra) uses less than the Super and the same as any AIB high power OC card, nothing that can't be capped by power offset on any of the cards really. KO is just cheaper than most, is actually a 2080 die and if at any point a workload that is on it hits those magic situations where it's 20%-40% faster then win.

Problem is there is no data for the KO on a per project basis to know how well it performs but if I were to by a 2060 it would only be a KO. The card build and cooling is kinda garbage but I'd buy it for the GPU die alone.

1 minute ago, marknd59 said:

Woo Hoo just got an e-mail. The last of my new hardware, which I ordered last Friday, has just been depatch and should be delivered "between 9:00am - 5:30pm on Saturday". Guess I building a new system tomorrow.

I know everyone is having problems at the moment but I think 7 days to get an order out when I payed for next day delivery is a bit much.

can you get refunded for the extra delivery costs?

18 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Well you know how to fix that, but yourself a couple new GPUs!

This is very true, I do need to just build a dedicated folding machine anyways!

I was at rank 101 on day 11 and 12, was hoping I could increase just one rank to make it into the top 100, but got pushed down one place to 102 by these cloud computers jumping on google compute for the last few days of the event.

Still...

• 102nd out of 8k+
  • broke 25 million total points (2m from the day before the event, 23m during the event)
  • I made it onto LTT's team summary stats page.
  • Silver Folding Badge! [EDIT]

All that with just 2 GPUs, an RTX 2080 and a GTX 970. I'm pretty happy with that.

I folded 10-15 years ago and got 100k points from 215 WUs (old account), but the difference with modern GPUs is phenomenal!

It's been fun. I will continue to fold for the team, but I will have to back off from doing it 24/7.

18 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Problem is there is no data for the KO on a per project basis to know how well it performs but if I were to by a 2060 it would only be a KO. The card build and cooling is kinda garbage but I'd buy it for the GPU die alone.

Well, as someone who actually did buy it (Ultra version tho) and ran it the last 2 weeks, maybe I should put some results in the database :D

But yes, the cooler is garbage but it produces an average of ~1.1m so that's pretty good for a 330€ card imo. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Wish I've cracked 300th, placed 315th. This was my first folding event, it's been a lot of fun

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

So glad I made it over 500k points. First folding event and just a single GTX 1070 folding while I did uni work and taking a break when playing games and sleeping. Pretty proud tbh.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

11 hours ago, cbigfoot said:

i have read 90%+ of this forum does that make me crazy? 

Are you sure you read 90%+ of whole forum or just this topic?

6 hours ago, Agrias said:

how to uninstall folding@home? i cant find it in control panel or uninstall.exe

You don't... Why would you do such a thing? 😢

5 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Stats people!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ii5ST0SPYVaVplR6WBDouFTz3daxyM_r6BdrCpgcLbg/edit?usp=sharing

BTW guys the blog post will be the awards ceremony posted in the next 48 hours or so.

Yo @GOTSpectrum, something is wrong in that sheet, not sure what data validation method you used, but it must be wrong as I do not see @leadeater at #1 place.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

RIP @ 0:31 😢

RIP @ day 10 when everyone started abusing free credit and all my cards are already used due to last event in 2019 :(

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

1 hour ago, marknd59 said:

Don't know guess I can ask and see what they say.

I would demand it. If you are promised next day (or paid for it) and it comes a week later.. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

2 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I would demand it. If you are promised next day (or paid for it) and it comes a week later.. 

Yes but you know what they are going to say - "We are very sorry but it due to things that are beyond our control", I'd almost bet money on it. I will send an e-mail or give them a call anyway next week after the holiday,

231th place with almost 24/7 14days without using cloud on anything like that - quite nice in my humble opinion :D 

almost as  i had to clean it once and one stop for update of cooling with 3 noctuas

Ryzen 5 3600 || Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2060 Super || B450A-PRO || G.SKILL Ripjaws 3200MHz CL15 2x8GB

16 minutes ago, marknd59 said:

Yes but you know what they are going to say - "We are very sorry but it due to things that are beyond our control", I'd almost bet money on it. I will send an e-mail or give them a call anyway next week after the holiday,

true true 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 hour ago, Kyouki_IE said:

I was at rank 101 on day 11 and 12, was hoping I could increase just one rank to make it into the top 100, but got pushed down one place to 102 by these cloud computers jumping on google compute for the last few days of the event.

Still...

• 102nd out of 8k+
  • broke 25 million total points (2m from the day before the event, 23m during the event)
  • I made it onto LTT's team summary stats page.
  • Silver Folding Badge! [EDIT]

All that with just 2 GPUs, an RTX 2080 and a GTX 970. I'm pretty happy with that.

I folded 10-15 years ago and got 100k points from 215 WUs (old account), but the difference with modern GPUs is phenomenal!

It's been fun. I will continue to fold for the team, but I will have to back off from doing it 24/7.

Sorry, guilty as charged! I was 301st in the day 12 update, then jumped to 88th in the final standings.

With Google giving away $300 worth of cloud services, I would have encouraged everyone to take advantage of it for this event given the cause, but I do understand those that believe folding should be "homegrown" on your own hardware. 88th is nice and all, but the most important thing is the science to beat this thing!

Im hoping when the stats update I can get back into the top 3000.

I started just outside the top 1000 but fell away very quickly when I stopped being able to fold overnight. Then I missed a whole day due to internet issues and needing my PC for gaming.

Since then I had a couple of really good days but still lost 1000 places and then never recover as I struggled for WUs in the limited hours I had to fold each day.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz