LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

3 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

Not random, 1 year left of Uni, then 3 years training at my job. I'll make a damn good salary by then

Might be a bit less, but I'm going conservative on this one

I hope so, but you will likely find out as you get older that you end up spending on things you never expected, and you don't have as much as you thought 🤑.

3 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

He wishes!

Well I totally could have put that in the script lol

3 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Your youth-like enthusiasm pleases me

I have to pretend I'm young somehow!  :P 

I guess that's how I earn a participation award.  "I did it!  I was here!"

1 minute ago, Shlouski said:

I hope so, but you will likely find out as you get older that you end up spending on things you never expected, and you don't have as much as you thought 🤑.

I know, but it's way more fun to make grandiose claims!

F@H    EOC

20 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I too only believe on home grown folding goodness, no mercenaries for me!

So where does using work servers sit in with that? Like they aren't mine but I save them from being scrapped and set them up so..... 'not as bad' right? Right?

3 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

I know, but it's way more fun to make grandiose claims!

Not making any grandiose claims about the job though. That one is practically set in stone at this point. Just need to not F up some aptitude tests and I’m in

F@H    EOC

I wonder if I can convince my work to let me setup a Linux LPAR on our Mainframe and let it fold for LTT, we're paying for the MIPS anyways...

Just now, Koppa315 said:

I wonder if I can convince my work to let me setup a Linux LPAR on our Mainframe and let it fold for LTT, we're paying for the MIPS anyways...

I tried to convince my school to install it since no one is using the computers now anyways, so try it.

4 hours ago, ObeliskAG said:

Possibly like GOTSpectrum, medical issues constrain my consumption.

IMG_3817.thumb.jpg.4234884d98fc02e290838b7035c4c0ef.jpg

Sadly, mine is almost empty but it's usually too hot here for me to really enjoy scotch...  Cheers!

20200410_000657.jpg

Here's a video of the final:

And a bit of commentary... I feel a bit low about marching in here with my big cloud cluster and "winning." I had no need to win but, in fact, was on a learning rampage. I was learning AWS, the CDK, ECS, Docker, Nodejs, Typescript, auto-scaling, AWS Budgets, Linux, GitHub, pull requests... the list goes on an on.

I have tremendous respect for the rigs you built. Drooled over the build logs @Den-Fi posted. That stuff is beyond me. I can't even get LED strip to work on the front of my computer case!  Mine was an exercise in software architecture and cheap cloud computing at scale. 

@walderston I'm not sure what you are running but that is an impressive climb! @n0xlf Linux fist-bump - good to fold with you. @leadeater and @GOTSpectrum fantastic way to build a community and run a contest. 

2 minutes ago, PlayCrackTheSky said:

Woo...managed to break into the top 30 and finish just ahead of @GOTSpectrum.

Booth This Isnt Over GIF by Bones - Find & Share on GIPHY

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I'm trying to find a tactful and tasteful way of mentioning that I somehow (genuine surprise) came 25th 😝

Untitled.png.adac2fa539ac116b28619c81f8b784e5.png

But in all seriousness I'm really happy so many people joined in and tried so hard, I hope some stick around and continue to fold for the other many good causes.

I'm new to the forum and this competition is what pushed me to join and I hope to become a valued part of the community.

I would like to thank all the members who organized, helped and donated prizes to make this competition happen, you really did good guys......repect 👍

I am curious, how many Work Units everyone completed over the course of these two weeks?
Not total, but just this two weeks? EOC says my machines completed 851 total WU and I only did a handful prior to this event.

Share your total WU for this event and tag me on it! I'd love to know! :D

This was my first event and time folding too. Loved it. I will continue, but I will not be running all my machines "balls to the walls" anymore. I will be toning it back into a more relaxing long term background usage on them all. I will definitely try and be a part of future events. How can we be notified if a new one comes around? I don't lurk forums too often.

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

So where does using work servers sit in with that? Like they aren't mine but I save them from being scrapped and set them up so..... 'not as bad' right? Right?

Totally fine.  I don't even mind folks that pay for cloud computing resources.  Just the abuse of setting up multiple accounts to do it free over and over bugs me.

My stats last night were terrible.. i didnt get any WUs it seems

Inari - Ryzen 9 3900X, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3400, eVGA RTX 3080 FTW3, Corsair Crystal 680X, 2x Corsair MP510 960gb SSD, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD, 2x Toshiba 5TB HDDs, Acer Predator X27, Lots of Sony camera equipment

Asus RoG Zephyrus G15 5900HS/3070/QHD On Order

2 minutes ago, x17andrew71x said:

I am curious, how many Work Units everyone completed over the course of these two weeks?
Not total, but just this two weeks? EOC says my machines completed 851 total WU and I only did a handful prior to this event.

Share your total WU for this event and tag me on it! I'd love to know! :D

Over the last 13 days I got 350 WUs.

Ended up #768, which is much better than I was expecting :D

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

I guess I was lucky, it seemed like my machines nearly always were all running everything they could.
No real downtime except for a few nights when it couldn't get another unit for a few hours. Just paused and started it up again and always got another to get started.

Just now, x17andrew71x said:

I guess I was lucky, it seemed like my machines nearly always were all running everything they could.
No real downtime except for a few nights when it couldn't get another unit for a few hours. Just paused and started it up again and always got another to get started.

Yeah. I had a few times it was definitely going slow for me. It helped that I got my brother's machine to do a bunch.