LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

2 hours ago, Psedog said:

This saddens me. I normally run my rig in OSX (hackintosh) and only switch to Windows for gaming. I wonder if Linux supports it.

In the OpenMM wiki it says it's supported in OSX through OpenCL. Is it just a matter of installing OpenMM or is it a fundamental issue with the Folding@home software?

Ref

http://docs.openmm.org/latest/userguide/application.html#installing-openmm

P.S. Glad your alright. No need to apologize. Always put yourself first. If you don't take care of yourself, who will?

As far as I know the OpenCL implementation is kind of buggy in newer versions of mac OS and only supports a older version of it well. Therefore it wont support the newer versions of OpenMM used for folding to full and stable extend.

Also the executable for the GPU cores has not been made for MacOS jet.

IFFFFF Apple would properly integrate newer versions of OpenCL, running MM and folding would be no problem. However the folding team is not interested in using Mac GPUs, because there are to less and not so powerful ones compared to what is available in the windows world.

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

10 minutes ago, RedCom said:

Well....10 GPUs did not take very long in burning through the $300 of Google Cloud credit. Gone in 3 days. Still...$100 a day to rent 10 cards, that's not bad.

So how much points did that produce and for which instances and GPUs did you go?

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

I'm anticipating approximately 130kWh usage by my systems for the duration of the event.  I have two-tiered billing: $0.09/kWh up to 1350kWh/mo and $0.14/kWh for consumption over that threshold.  I anticipate an average cost of $0.11/kWh for the billing period, so $14.30.

The building my hardware is in is heated by a mid-efficiency LPG/propane furnace, so the heat produced by folding won't offset electric resistive heating costs, but it turns out that my propane is super expensive.  If propane has 7kWh per litre and cost of $1.18 per litre, then it costs $0.168 per kWh.  Worse, my furnace will have 85% efficiency at best, so it would be fair to say that 1kWh of heating would cost me approximately $0.20, or $26.00 for 130kWh of heating.

So, it would appear this folding event has potentially saved me $11.70 in energy costs!

I wish I had a larger electrical service to the property in order to replace the propane furnace with a lot of folding rigs 😉 (or a heat pump)

11 minutes ago, GalaxyNetworks said:

FAHClient --send-command finish

That's the right command.

Not sure I understand you correctly. This is what I got from the previous command:

/etc/init.d/FAHClient Finish
Syntax: /etc/init.d/FAHClient [OPTIONS] <COMMAND> [-- [OPTIONS]]
COMMANDS:
	start          Start client
	stop           Stop client
	restart        Full stop then restart client
	reload         Respawn client process
	status         Print client status
	log            Tail the client log
OPTIONS:
	-u <user>      Run as this user.
	-h <home>      Run in this directory.
	-v             Be verbose.  Show WS output

Any options after a '--' will be passed on to the client.
Invalid command ''

Do you imply to insert the --send-command option in-between the FAHClient and finish?

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

1 minute ago, Dutch_Master said:

Not sure I understand you correctly. This is what I got from the previous command:

/etc/init.d/FAHClient Finish
Syntax: /etc/init.d/FAHClient [OPTIONS] <COMMAND> [-- [OPTIONS]]
COMMANDS:
	start          Start client
	stop           Stop client
	restart        Full stop then restart client
	reload         Respawn client process
	status         Print client status
	log            Tail the client log
OPTIONS:
	-u <user>      Run as this user.
	-h <home>      Run in this directory.
	-v             Be verbose.  Show WS output

Any options after a '--' will be passed on to the client.
Invalid command ''

Do you imply to insert the --send-command option in-between the FAHClient and finish?

Just "FAHClient --send-command finish"

if it can't find FAHClient, then "/usr/bin/FAHClient --send-command finish"

54 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I have noticed the same on my end, never have I seen the beta pool get exhausted in such a manner it is both a beauty and a shame 

One of the cool things about running a big cluster is that I can see trends and using AWS Log Insights I can plot them. Consider the red line in the chart below as - just as you mention exhausted GPU beta WUs

chrome_x8uRlcd3ba.thumb.png.13588489cdd894d303d9e6df1ea59310.png

2 minutes ago, ffbr said:

I used to have 35 GPUs in an homemade mining farm (the good time of reaching living in a 30-35°C environment the whole summer). From them 21 asus, never had a problem with them (nor did I with my lonely MSI). Can't say the same for the others. However they did came at a premium. 

Curious, did your investment in those cards pay off?

I feel you!  I'm in central FL and right now the outdoor temp is *89°F my house is at 85°F.  MY A/C is down and repair man can't come until next week...  I even bought a Noctua Industrial fan to try and help with what ever cooling is available and have the old fan propped up against the the rear card area which will likely have to disappear when the video card comes tomorrow!  CPU temps in the high 80°C to low 90°C range right now after I lowered the power to Medium.  Once the outdoor temps drop below the indoor I'll open up the windows again an be cooler by morning.  I may have to go to low power setting when the video card gets installed.  Which might not be too bad as I hear GPU units have been slow to get assigned.  Haven't had to wait too long at all for CPU work units.

51 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient Finish 

I'm guessing here though, @Gorgon is the best to ask here 

32 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Tried and failed, the client doesn't recognise the option "finish", valid options are: stop/start/restart/reload/status/log

But thx for trying!

This will work:
sudo /usr/bin/FAHClient --send-command finish

But this is better as you don't have to worry about escaping quotes in scripts:
sudo /usr/bin/FAHClient --send-finish

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

6 minutes ago, GalaxyNetworks said:

Just "FAHClient --send-command finish"

if it can't find FAHClient, then "/usr/bin/FAHClient --send-command finish"

I tried this and it appears to have connected via Telnet (port 36330). Not sure it'll work, for most boxes now have WUs for more then 8 hrs!

1 minute ago, Gorgon said:

sudo /usr/bin/FAHClient --send-finish

I'll keep that in mind if the other one fails. (not that I'm using sudo, but I'll get around that ;) )

Thx guys, much appreciated!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

1 minute ago, Boyce1 said:

Curious, did your investment in those cards pay off?

I feel you!  I'm in central FL and right now the outdoor temp is *89°F my house is at 85°F.  MY A/C is down and repair man can't come until next week...  I even bought a Noctua Industrial fan to try and help with what ever cooling is available and have the old fan propped up against the the rear card area which will likely have to disappear when the video card comes tomorrow!  CPU temps in the high 80°C to low 90°C range right now after I lowered the power to Medium.  Once the outdoor temps drop below the indoor I'll open up the windows again an be cooler by morning.  I may have to go to low power setting when the video card gets installed.  Which might not be too bad as I hear GPU units have been slow to get assigned.  Haven't had to wait too long at all for CPU work units.

Well it was an interesting experience, definitely paid off in term of investment (got a car out of it and still have some holding but nothing crazy)

It started more as an experiment into it and I got a bit crazy when the price started to go up in february/march 2017. I used already mined holding to buy new card one rig (7 cards) at a time. Once I got bored/tired of it and that it started to not be anymore viable to mine (expensive electricity here) I sold all the GPUs and Motherboard and was surprised to not lose money on that overall (some sold for cheap some for more than what I paid for). 

Overall it was a very intense experience and teached me a lot. Would definitely not redo it :D nowaday. 

TLDR: didn't got rich, loved the experience, didn't loose money

BOINC - F@H

2 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

I tried this and it appears to have connected via Telnet (port 36330). Not sure it'll work, for most boxes now have WUs for more then 8 hrs!

I'll keep that in mind if the other one fails. (not that I'm using sudo, but I'll get around that ;) )

The web interface should look like this: (GPU 7 has finished and is paused)
image.png.855918fa65bab1f93ae7889213d2dcfe.png

1 minute ago, Dutch_Master said:

Yep, that's how all the communication for FAH works, through telnet at what ever port you have configured, 36330 per default. That really should work, otherwise you have some other problem, it's never failed me and I've used it 10s to 100s of times.

1 hour ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I have noticed the same on my end, never have I seen the beta pool get exhausted in such a manner it is both a beauty and a shame 

I had been running the beta flag for most of the event, and it just recently started sitting idle.  Before they were coming in one after another non stop for days.  Must have gotten to the bottom of that pile!

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

2 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

I have 6 linux boxes and they're all headless so I normally just used teh Advanced Control app on my Windows Daily Driver to control all the slots.

Normally I run a cron job on the systems to set the GPU slots to finish about 2 1/2 hours before my electricity rate doubles and then use:

/usr/bin/FAHClient --send-unpause

to restart the slots when the electricity rate drops down.

You can also telnet into the host on 36330 and access the command server directly but you have to enable remote access (see link in sig) first.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

also good to see you back @GOTSpectrum !

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

2 minutes ago, Zberg said:

I had been running the beta flag for most of the event, and it just recently started sitting idle.  Before they were coming in one after another non stop for days.  Must have gotten to the bottom of that pile!

Nope, just assignment server (AS) issues. Lots of Beta WUs left bu if the AS doesn't direct you to a WS then you won't get any.

FaH BOINC HfM

Systems:

Just now, Zberg said:

also good to see you back @GOTSpectrum !

Much appreciated, would like to say it feels good to be back but in fact I'm just trying to distract myself from lack of meds lmfao. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Gorgon said:

Nope, just assignment server (AS) issues. Lots of Beta WUs left bu if the AS doesn't direct you to a WS then you won't get any.

One think i have just noticed while checking out the server stats is that C21 seems to have been completely depreciated and is not listed on any servers any longer. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 hours ago, jctappel67 said:

Just cracked the top 400 on the LTT team all-time list!

Yeah, I noticed that 😉

F@H

Current config:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI, 64GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6000 (30-40-40-96), Aorus RTX3080 TI Xtreme, 2x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, ASUS XG-C100C, Corsair RM850x, Corsair H115i Pro RGB w/ 2,000 rpm ML fans, Fractal Design Meshify S2, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD 24" 4K

50 minutes ago, REDYul said:

I leave at stock speed, making sure that the fan are not top noisy, because OC is not very useful, because WU are not constantly available.

What ever you can OC, if you have to wait 15-20-60min you loose all your advantages.

Hahah, do not worry about me, I've experimented with all kind of cards, OCs and BIOS-es for almost 2 years.

46 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

They are talking about underclocking here, not overclocking. but with that said @Favebook and @aselwyn1 you're better off just power limiting that actively underclocking most of the time with folding. 

Basically this 👆

For best results, I find stable OC and then Power Limit the hell out of my card (between 60% and 80% is optimal).

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

2 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

This broke my brain a little lmfao 

Yeah, household baseline is usually less than 400 watts, since the event began, it looks more like this 🤨

Household power usage.png

F@H

Current config:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI, 64GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6000 (30-40-40-96), Aorus RTX3080 TI Xtreme, 2x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, ASUS XG-C100C, Corsair RM850x, Corsair H115i Pro RGB w/ 2,000 rpm ML fans, Fractal Design Meshify S2, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD 24" 4K

🤔 its not about the award, but I sure would like to be able to get the certificate for 1000 WU.

Generator still broken 

BOINC - F@H