LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

9 minutes ago, Boyce1 said:

I had meant to use about $300-$400 to buy a cheap 4k tv to use as a monitor and just use the CPU's GPU.  Instead I spent ~$500 and just realized I might have to buy a bigger power supply.  Since Linus is always talking about and using Asus stuff I bought one of their motherboards for my new computer so I went with one of their cards and Best Buy had this one and shipped it fast.  Gets here tomorrow, supposedly!

I'm old and retired so I guess I got so spend money on something, might as well help out if I can!  Maybe I'll just sell the card when this stuff is over and still get a monitor.  

video card.PNG

It's a nice card. And looks good ;)

BOINC - F@H

1 minute ago, walderston said:

I think we are starting to finish all the GPU WUs (even the beta ones) as I have several card sitting idle

I have noticed the same on my end, never have I seen the beta pool get exhausted in such a manner it is both a beauty and a shame 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

The need for extra heating in my home office disappeared when I brought home machines that were no longer in use from the office.

Quite decent specs actualy.

From left:
i7-6700 and R9 380
i7-7700 and GTX 1060 3GB
i7-6700 and GTX 970.

Have also hidden one in the office with the i7-6700 and Quadro 410 which I hope no one finds and turns off: PIMG_2475.thumb.jpg.d8e41437d4995a9a35302fab50e20c16.jpg

I'm having an issue with web control here. When you choose to stop folding, the server (actually client) gives you the option of finishing the current work unit before actually stopping. Well, that's how I understand it. Apparently, not so the FAHclient 🙄 When I told some of my machines to stop after finishing their WU, they actually started a new WU! Now, these are headless boxes running Linux, so any config should be done via the config.xml file via a text editor over ssh. Which is fine, the systems are set up that way and I know my way around the Linux cli a bit. But what option should I enter to actually get the required behaviour? Suggestions? TIA!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

3 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

I'm having an issue with web control here. When you choose to stop folding, the server (actually client) gives you the option of finishing the current work unit before actually stopping. Well, that's how I understand it. Apparently, not so the FAHclient 🙄 When I told some of my machines to stop after finishing their WU, they actually started a new WU! Now, these are headless boxes running Linux, so any config should be done via the config.xml file via a text editor over ssh. Which is fine, the systems are set up that way and I know my way around the Linux cli a bit. But what option should I enter to actually get the required behaviour? Suggestions? TIA!

FAHClient --send-command finish

F@H    EOC

19 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

Unless you care about AURA Sync RGB there is no advantage to use Asus graphics cards over other brands. MSI are great too and a bit cheaper.

Actually one of the first posts I made on this thread and probably on this forum was asking for a video card recommendation that would be good for Folding!  It got zero responses that I saw although I'm still not very good at finding stuff on here so I could have missed a response.  So at this point it's a done deal!  And NO I don't use RGB although I'll admit it might come in handy when I'm trying to read the small print on the motherboard but so does this.  Didn't realize how much that looked like a toilet seat until the moment I took this picture!

20200409_145546.jpg

4 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient Finish 

I'm guessing here though, @Gorgon is the best to ask here 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

29 minutes ago, ffbr said:

It's a nice card. And looks good ;)

Good to hear!!!

4 hours ago, aselwyn1 said:

not sure how to limit my cpu cores in F@H?  but i droped my gpu clock by 7 mhz in afterburner and turned off advanced and will see how it goes

There's a lot of tutorials in this thread, search it. 

7MHz is not even one step in GPU clocks... You need to lower it at least 15-30 MHz so it affects Nvidia GPU. But I would recommend you to start with -100CC.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

10 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

This happens to me if I send the Finish command after the next WU has already been downloaded.

3 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Right guys, 

So where have I been? 

Well that's hard to explain! The simple description would be illness. Unfortunately some of the medication I need has been in short supply thanks to people stockpiling and that has left me struggling for the last 5/6 days. I should get that medication in the next few days as I have been put on the priority list.

How are you all doing?

Stockpilers eh.

Yeah, doesn't do them any good, nor does it help anyone else out.

Good to hear you are doing well.

Physically fine here, Not so much on the sanity front.

Ordered a couple of gundam kits to build, and of course they are delayed,

Untitled.png

Alienware Area 51m 2019:  RTX 2060 | i7-9700 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) 2666 | 1TB 970 EVO | 240GB Corsair Force MP510.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=812790

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NZKshatriya/saved/

BACKUP SYSTEM:  ASUS Prime X470 PRO | Ryzen 5 1600 | G.skill FORTIS 16GB(2x8GB) 2400 | SanDisk SDSSDA 120GB | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 | HAF-XB-EVO

4 minutes ago, TheAmazingDave said:

This happens to me if I send the Finish command after the next WU has already been downloaded.

Yes, it will continue to fold already downloaded units as they are assigned to you.
The web control seems broken to me. If I press stop folding and then finish, it doesn't do anything. I'm using the Advanced Control for that.

7 minutes ago, Favebook said:

There's a lot of tutorials in this thread, search it. 

7MHz is not even one step in GPU clocks... You need to lower it at least 15-30 MHz so it affects Nvidia GPU. But I would recommend you to start with -100CC.

I leave at stock speed, making sure that the fan are not top noisy, because OC is not very useful, because WU are not constantly available.

What ever you can OC, if you have to wait 15-20-60min you loose all your advantages.

1 minute ago, NZKshatriya said:

Stockpilers eh.

Yeah, doesn't do them any good, nor does it help anyone else out.

Good to hear you are doing well.

Physically fine here, Not so much on the sanity front.

Ordered a couple of gundam kits to build, and of course they are delayed,

Mentally I'm alright actually, I'm used to be stuck at home much of the time tbh, but physically I'm a bit fucked without being able to do physio and with my meds getting messed up. But, like in all situations theres only one option here, one step in front of the other.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

14 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

FAHClient --send-command finish

12 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Thx, I'll give it a try.

7 minutes ago, TheAmazingDave said:

I had set this over an hour ahead of finishing the (then) current WU, so either it has obtained the new WU way ahead of finishing or something else is wrong.

3 minutes ago, REDYul said:

I leave at stock speed, making sure that the fan are not top noisy, because OC is not very useful, because WU are not constantly available.

What ever you can OC, if you have to wait 15-20-60min you loose all your advantages.

They are talking about underclocking here, not overclocking. but with that said @Favebook and @aselwyn1 you're better off just power limiting that actively underclocking most of the time with folding. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

17 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Tried and failed, the client doesn't recognise the option "finish", valid options are: stop/start/restart/reload/status/log

But thx for trying!

3 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Mentally I'm alright actually, I'm used to be stuck at home much of the time tbh, but physically I'm a bit fucked without being able to do physio and with my meds getting messed up. But, like in all situations theres only one option here, one step in front of the other.

Sounds like we're in a similar situation. Thankfully I managed to put together a little gym area for my physio. Got a spinal injury here; and I've been working from home going on 3 years.

Thankfully, in Ireland even buying something like Solpadine in quantaties requires a prescription; so stock pilers aren't really here.

I do hope you get sorted soon mate, nothing worse than suffering through no fault of your own.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

1 minute ago, Dutch_Master said:

Tried and failed, the client doesn't recognise the option "finish", valid options are: stop/start/restart/reload/status/log

But thx for trying!

good to know!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

19 minutes ago, Boyce1 said:

Good to hear!!!

I used to have 35 GPUs in an homemade mining farm (the good time of reaching living in a 30-35°C environment the whole summer). From them 21 asus, never had a problem with them (nor did I with my lonely MSI). Can't say the same for the others. However they did came at a premium. 

BOINC - F@H

Well....10 GPUs did not take very long in burning through the $300 of Google Cloud credit. Gone in 3 days. Still...$100 a day to rent 10 cards, that's not bad.