LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

Just now, GalaxyNetworks said:

That sounds expensive!

Does Amazon have any free credit for new users?

Not towards those instance as far as I know.

BOINC - F@H

Just now, ffbr said:

That's like... 1600$ a week 🤩😱

Where do I get this kind of money? I need it for... reasons...

F@H    EOC

14 minutes ago, GalaxyNetworks said:

Are you running it as a preemptible instance?

I have no idea what that is haha (*duckduckgo vigorously*)

I tried Google cloud, but it was an epic fail, no matter where or what configuration I chose they weren't able to deliver, even after upgrading my account, even tried to get the lowest cpu with the lowest ram and even that wasn't possible, after a few hours if wasted time I cancelled the account.

5 minutes ago, ffbr said:

Lots of reason, in my firm we have a mix of in house gpu servers and cloud services (ibm, azure, aws, gcloud)

The main reasons for us to go cloud is the variable needs, maintenance cost when, initial investment and depreciation (we consider that an equipment need to be changed  when warranty runs out....)

Thanks

My Stats

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master/ i9-9900K/ 64GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz/ Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti x2 (NVlink)/ 14TB Seagate Barracuda/ 64GB M10 Optane Memory (Modifies 14TB HDD)/ 2TB 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe/ Corsair 1200W HX Series™ Modular 80 Plus®/ Corsair H115i Pro Cooler/ Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2

2 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

Where do I get this kind of money? I need it for... reasons...

I used to get quite a bit of free credit on aws during conference, events...

BOINC - F@H

2 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

I have no idea what that is haha

It will only last for 24 hours. Stopping and starting the instance will reset that timer.
Preemptible instances are cheap instances that google can preempt (stop) if they need the resources elsewhere.

As I have no free credit I always create preemptible instances. I will however NOT create GPU instances as they are still expensive. 😐

4 minutes ago, GalaxyNetworks said:

That sounds expensive!

Does Amazon have any free credit for new users?

Easiest thing to get started is just to head to the AWS console, enter your credit card, but only pick things marked "free tier."  There are a whole heap of programs to get credits for trial purposes. 

If someone wants to make a moon shot....: https://www.xsede.org/covid19-hpc-consortium

9 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

I tried Google cloud, but it was an epic fail, no matter where or what configuration I chose they weren't able to deliver, even after upgrading my account, even tried to get the lowest cpu with the lowest ram and even that wasn't possible, after a few hours if wasted time I cancelled the account.

Dude I went through support hell today with them. Afetr registration you need to upgrade the free account to a payed one to unlock GPU slots (free credit is used up first). Then you need to go to quotas and manually edit GPU quotas and who the fuck thought it's a good idea to have to request GPU: ANY region and ANY zone is NOT ENOUGH. No, additionally you need to find  a region/zone which has your specific GPU model that you want and then requets that exact GPU model quota specifically for that specific REGION you want it to be deployed. Then wait, then - with luck - if they have free GPU servers available you will get your VM instance deployed. Tried 4x T4 cuz it's way cheaper, not available even with quotas unlocked. Tried P100 after multiple quota requests, worked. Had to contact their chat support though and even their support didn't have the information about available GPUs ("I need 4x T4 GPUs in one instance, whichever region has that available?").

6 minutes ago, GalaxyNetworks said:

It will only last for 24 hours. Stopping and starting the instance will reset that timer.
Preemptible instances are cheap instances that google can preempt (stop) if they need the resources elsewhere.

As I have no free credit I always create preemptible instances. I will however NOT create GPU instances as they are still expensive. 😐

Ah that's the thing. IMO CPU folding is not viable/worth the hassle compared to the PPD you get from GPU folding. it's 10-15 times less than GPU.

15M points!

junk.png

My Folding Stats

My BOINC Stats

VelosterN:

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 32GB - Asus ROG Strix Gaming 6750 XT OC

Corsair Crystal Series 680x RGB - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB NVMe - Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe - Samsung 860 Pro 256 GB 2.5" SSD X2

EVGA P2 80+ Platinum 850Watt PSU - BenQ XL2730Z 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz - be quiet! Dark Rock 4

Corsair K70 LUX - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum - Sennheiser HD599 - Blue Yeti Mic

Windows 11 Professional Version 22H2

BettyBoop:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X - Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 16GB - Asus ROG Strix Gaming 5500 XT - Fractal Design Core 500

Samsung 860 Pro 512GB Sata - EVGA 550GM 80+ Gold 550Watt SFX PSU - be quiet! Dark Rock 4

Windows 11 Professional Version 22H2

HTPC:

Intel i7 6700K - Asus Maximus Hero VIII - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 16GB - MSI RX480 Gaming-X 8GB - Cooler Master 932 HAF

Seagate 250GB HDD - EVGA G2 80+ Gold 650Watt PSU - Corsair H100i

Windows 10 Professional Version 21H2

I just bought a 2070 Super! I can not wait to contribute more :) unknown.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor Motherboard: N7-B55XT-W1: [US-3DTC1-N] N7 B550 Motherboard - AMD B550 Chipset with Wi-Fi and White Cover  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Gaming OC 3X Video Card Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower White with Tempered glass  Storage: WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 5,150 MB/s   PSU: CORSAIR RM Series (2021), White, RM850, 850 Watt, 80 Plus Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply Display(s): 1xMSI Optix MAG272CRX 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor 2x ASUS VZ239H-W 23" Full HD 1080p IPS HDMI VGA Eye Care Monitor Cooling: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition: 5G Optical Sensor 16,000 DPI Sound: Audio-Technia ATH-M20x Professional studio monitor Headphones, black.  Operating System: Linux Pop!_OS with KDE Plasma desktop environment Mic: Elgato Wave:3

linktr.ee/Elektra57

Here's essentially what I run: https://github.com/raykrueger/FoldingOnECS

It takes a bit of cloud and container knowledge to set up but the benefits are pretty high once you get it going. If you are just creating a cloud computing instance, installing the client, and running it - you will pay full boat. If you pick V100 instances, on any cloud platform, that's going to be fun but hella expensive.

Instead, running in containers on spot instances allows you to scale up and down depending on price and use the cheapest rates currently available. For example, today I have nothing running in N. Virginia (cause their prices are up) and a healthy size clusters in Mumbai, Paris, and Stockholm because the spot market is very favorable there.

Once the event is over, I'll turn my compute power towards a deep fake project I've been working hard on but still keep some of it running towards folding. I'll also change the machine types to something more suitable towards my project. Being able scale up and down and change compute types is the power of the cloud. The downside is not being able to see or get my hands on the hardware. 

Just now, ShortRouter said:

Ah that's the thing. IMO CPU folding is not viable/worth the hassle compared to the PPD you get from GPU folding. it's 10-15 times less than GPU.

I'm not CPU folding. 🙂 I sometimes use preemptible VM's (Google Cloud) or Spot Instances (Azure) for batch jobs that doesn't need to run on my on-prem servers.
These instances will automatically be created and managed by a script when needed.

let my on-prem servers CPU fold for the research not for the points. They have a total of 8 Tesla V100 (currently doing "other stuff").
My gamer pc is only GPU folding with an RTX 2080 TI and my workstation is only GPU folding with a GTX 1080. 

15 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

Dude I went through support hell today with them. Afetr registration you need to upgrade the free account to a payed one to unlock GPU slots (free credit is used up first). Then you need to go to quotas and manually edit GPU quotas and who the fuck thought it's a good idea to have to request GPU: ANY region and ANY zone is NOT ENOUGH. No, additionally you need to find  a region/zone which has your specific GPU model that you want and then requets that exact GPU model quota specifically for that specific REGION you want it to be deployed. Then wait, then - with luck - if they have free GPU servers available you will get your VM instance deployed. Tried 4x T4 cuz it's way cheaper, not available even with quotas unlocked. Tried P100 after multiple quota requests, worked. Had to contact their chat support though and even their support didn't have the information about available GPUs ("I need 4x T4 GPUs in one instance, whichever region has that available?")

Yep it's a pretty terrible experience, I tried google thinking that they would be one of the better providers, I can't be arsed wasting my time on it.

Wasn't ever planning on paying for this service, if I need hardware I would prefer to buy over renting it.

3 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

Someone was asking for the cost breakdown of the Google Cloud thing:

All pricing: https://cloud.google.com/compute/all-pricing?_ga=2.158905018.-1293830226.1586279359&hl=en

Even on GCP you can see the preemptible pricing to be 3-5 times cheaper than on-demand pricing. On AWS you can run a fancy V100 based P3 with on-demand pricing for the same cost as *20* G4 instances on the spot market. 

You always want cattle not pets. Great (and fun!) analogy for anyone interested in cloud: http://cloudscaling.com/blog/cloud-computing/the-history-of-pets-vs-cattle/

18 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

Someone was asking for the cost breakdown of the Google Cloud thing:

1251409572_googlevmpricing.PNG.2da48ebcc918485c8b321353d01f3d27.PNG

All pricing: https://cloud.google.com/compute/all-pricing?_ga=2.158905018.-1293830226.1586279359&hl=en

Ouch, over $18,000 a year. I bet you could buy the system yourself and the left over money would cover a lot of the electricity bill.

For those of you making new usernames...

Just keep your name and change teams.

F@H tracks the points and WU's per team, and you can easily see the per team results on your donor stats page.

Alienware Area 51m 2019:  RTX 2060 | i7-9700 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) 2666 | 1TB 970 EVO | 240GB Corsair Force MP510.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=812790

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NZKshatriya/saved/

BACKUP SYSTEM:  ASUS Prime X470 PRO | Ryzen 5 1600 | G.skill FORTIS 16GB(2x8GB) 2400 | SanDisk SDSSDA 120GB | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 | HAF-XB-EVO

16 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

Ouch, over $18,000 a year. I bet you could buy the system yourself and the left over money would cover a lot of the electricity bill.

Absolutely. Actually paying for that service is not worth it. I can build a custom watercooled folding / rendering rig with 4x RTX 2080 Ti on X99 platform (used), 64 GB RAM for under 10,000 € easily. Mid-tier Quadros are not any more expensive if needed. Something like 5930k is relatively cheap on the market and gives you 40 PCIe lanes to work with (X16, X8, X8, X8), X99 motherboards with 4 GPU slots are not hard to find. Power cost would be around 3,000 € yearly (at 30 cents per kWh) and half that if you live in one of those countries where a kWh costs 15 cents. You would have to deal with noise and 1 KW heat though. And it takes half a day to build.

1 minute ago, ShortRouter said:

Absolutely. Actually paying for that service is not worth it. I can build a custom watercooled folding / rendering rig with 4x RTX 2080 Ti on X99 platform (used), 64 GB RAM for under 10,000 € easily. Something like 5930k is relatively cheap on the market and gives you 40 PCIe lanes to work with (X16, X8, X8, X8), X99 motherboards with 4 GPU slots are not hard to find. Power cost would be around 3,000 € yearly (at 30 cents per kWh) and half that if you live in one of those countries where a kWh costs 15 cents.

You're using bad data to draw a wrong conclusion. I'm willing to bet I'm one of the most efficient, measured by $ TCO, folder here and I'm entirely in the cloud. It's not as fun (no RGB) but your math won't hold up. There's a reason everything went to the cloud.

6 hours ago, jctappel67 said:

DEAR GOD!!! Dats a lotta tabs

5 hours ago, SpiritWrath said:

If that is(?) chrome, that's at least 1TB of RAM xD

You ain't seen nothing yet (but yeah,it was pinning my RAM to 100% (Ram used about 12 out of total 16GB)... I am lucky that I found this extension, otherwise, my tabs would destroy my memory due to every day usage at 100%:

onetab.thumb.PNG.e879aa86f25a146af7b4b9a68455475b.PNG

5 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Ya ain't seen nothin' yet!image.thumb.png.6f047f6c74a400e82a8b02778c09e962.png

Please, install OneTab, thank me later

3 hours ago, LordKitsune said:

How do you know which tab is which? Even tabbing through that with hotkeys has to be exhausting

Well, in my case, when I open so many tabs, it's not that hard as I got Acer x34, but I usually know where my tabs are approximately and CTRL+Tab (or CTRL+SHIFT+TAB) is great for going through them. And having fast CPU helps a lot.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

Electric bill went up $35 this month lol