LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

1 minute ago, Datsat7 said:

Hi guys I’m new and I am wondering if it is worth it to fold on a Xeon e5520 2.4ghz cpu ?

Every little bit counts. Just don't pull a @GOTSpectrum and blow the mosfet off of a FE card! 😜

1 minute ago, Datsat7 said:

Hi guys I’m new and I am wondering if it is worth it to fold on a Xeon e5520 2.4ghz cpu ?

it could do it. it'd take a while and use a lot of power since it's a 09' xeon.

if you have a GPU in the system (preferably a modern one) it probably would be a better choice for folding

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

2 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

Every little bit counts. Just don't pull a @GOTSpectrum and blow the mosfet off of a FE card! 😜

It wasn't a Frontier Edition!!!!

as @Ithanul would say, kevdogs law gets us all eventually 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

it could do it. it'd take a while and use a lot of power since it's a 09' xeon.

if you have a GPU in the system (preferably a modern one) it probably would be a better choice for folding

It’s a server that I got recently so no gpu 

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

It was wasn't a Frontier Edition!!!!

as @Ithanul would say, kevdogs law gets us all eventually 

Either way, the mad lad was min-maxing his folds and min-maxed the thrust setting on a mosfet instead :D

Just now, LordKitsune said:

Either way, the mad lad was min-maxing his folds and min-maxed the thrust setting on a mosfet instead :D

LMFAO!!!!

I have done some questionable things in my time to max the folds let me tell you that. 

I do it so you don't have to!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

27 minutes ago, m1lk3y said:

Okay well now I feel kinda silly, I have it running, but is the only way I can control it from the web control? I was going to change a few things around and give myself a core for local work, but i can't seem to find the client anywhere. even opening it from the install folder. Desktop shortcut just takes me to the web client too..

Right click on the system tray icon for the FAH Client and click ''Advanced Control'' and all your prayers will be answered :)

LMFAO!!!!

I have done some questionable things in my time to max the folds let me tell you that. 

I do it so you don't have to!

Tried putting in the other GPU I have and couldn't get its clock speeds to go over 100-200Mhz

1 minute ago, LordKitsune said:

Tried putting in the other GPU I have and couldn't get its clock speeds to go over 100-200Mhz

What GPU is it?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I love how my computer sits quietly idle for a while then all of a sudden the fans all spin up. Then I get happy knowing I just got a CPU WU.

I'm currently waiting on both CPU and GPU, but it looks like I've had some of both within the last hour.

This is so much fun. 

6 minutes ago, Datsat7 said:

It’s a server that I got recently so no gpu 

Should i still fold?

GT1030 (GDDR5, not the craptastic GDDR4 version). I think my CPU just doesn't have enough steam to handle 2 cards. It's an AMD FX-4350

I love that noreply@foldingathome.org keeps spamming me the passkey. I've requested it 3 times i think. I've got 10 mails now. The intervals are 2, 4  and 8 hours (more or less).

I wonder whether they'll ever stop...

It's like the toilet paper shortage. You really want it but once you've got a shitload (haha) of it you don't want a single roll more. Imagine someone gives you a roll every few hours from now on. It's just a reminder how much you wanted it and how little it's worth to you now.

9 minutes ago, Datsat7 said:

Should i still fold?

Absolutely

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

Doctors everywhere: we have so much work we would need super computers everywhere to help to get it done in under a year

LTT team : fire up your 2080s and lets go boys 

~48 hours later ~

everyone: yall got any more of those work units ? trying to get half million points for that steam key.....

4 minutes ago, Jaom said:

I love that noreply@foldingathome.org keeps spamming me the passkey. I've requested it 3 times i think. I've got 10 mails now. The intervals are 2, 4  and 8 hours (more or less).

It's like the toilet paper shortage. You really want it but once you've got a shitload (haha) of it you don't want a single roll more. Imagine someone gives you a roll every few hours from now on. It's just a reminder how much you wanted it and how little it's worth to you now.

Yeha... thats a bit strange but plz be patient with them. Servers are still busted 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

6 minutes ago, Jaom said:

Google can tell the future, they foresaw this and marked them as spam!!!

All hail the mighty Google algorithm!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Google can tell the future, they foresaw this and marked them as spam!!!

All hail the mighty Google algorithm!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I forgot to tag you in the post about my Graphics card

GT 1030 was the card I tried adding in.

Getting WU more frequently now, and covid is starting to pop-up

Spoiler

Covid.png.28c47a53fd629454e38daaa6c78fd4cc.png

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

Just now, Parideboy said:

Getting WU more frequently now, and covid is starting to pop-up

Hide contents

Covid.png.28c47a53fd629454e38daaa6c78fd4cc.png

Your post came up right as soon as a markiplier jumpscare happened and it made the experience actually awesome. Thank you for you accidental perfect timing. 

(The thing was "Lixian is no longer here" and right before the monster behind mark moved the forum made its bloop sound.) hahahaha

I've joined! I have a stockpile of old computers and I've installed Linux Mint on to them and got going! I currently have a total of 7 computers folding. 2 are mobile Core 2 Duos, one is a desktop Core 2 Duo, that bare board on the bench is my old server, which is a Xeon 3070, and that computer on the end is an AMD Trinity something... it's got built in Radeon graphics so that helps. I also have my computer on the task, which is a Ryzen 7 2700 paired with an ancient GTX 750 as well as my server, which is a Xeon X3440. I wanted to get some of my really old hardware going like a Slot 1 PIII and a few Celerons, but I don't feel like trying a million old versions of Mint to find one that works just to squeeze out a little more horsepower. I hope this all amounts to something because this is quite the power consumption lol

IMG_2489.PNG

Q

Just now, LordKitsune said:

Your post came up right as soon as a markiplier jumpscare happened and it made the experience actually awesome. Thank you for you accidental perfect timing. 

(The thing was "Lixian is no longer here" and right before the monster behind mark moved the forum made its bloop sound.) hahahaha

Team LTT saving us not onlky from COVID but also saving you from a heart attack! Woo!!!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, LordKitsune said:

Glad to be even more helpful 😂😂😂😂😂

1 minute ago, BrewThatStew said:

I've joined! I have a stockpile of old computers and I've installed Linux Mint on to them and got going! I currently have a total of 7 computers folding. 2 are mobile Core 2 Duos, one is a desktop Core 2 Duo, that bare board on the bench is my old server, which is a Xeon 3070, and that computer on the end is an AMD Trinity something... it's got built in Radeon graphics so that helps. I also have my computer on the task, which is a Ryzen 7 2700 paired with an ancient GTX 750 as well as my server, which is a Xeon X3440. I wanted to get some of my really old hardware going like a Slot 1 PIII and a few Celerons, but I don't feel like trying a million old versions of Mint to find one that works just to squeeze out a little more horsepower. I hope this all amounts to something because this is quite the power consumption lol

Spoiler

IMG_2489.PNG

Man, I love this kinda stuff

Team LTT saving us not onlky from COVID but also saving you from a heart attack! Woo!!!

We should try getting Markiplier to join our fold team. I bet he has computer horsepower for days... or would buy it