Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GOTSpectrum

LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

 

 

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, LFreeman said:

I have a few smaller cards I might me able to rig physically in there. Power I can also tap off another PSU I have. I am curious IF I attempt this do you think I'd kill the MOBO?

Nah, the mobo's are pretty resiliant. I doubt you'd hurt them given that any additional power connections are attached to the cards.

 

My previous server was a Dell PowerEdge 2900. I had an nVidia 8800GT which I physically cut half of the PCIe bus off of to fit that rig. Drivers picked it up as a X8 card, and it worked fine with the power tapped off of the backplane.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheAmazingDave said:

Nah, the mobo's are pretty resiliant. I doubt you'd hurt them given that any additional power connections are attached to the cards.

 

My previous server was a Dell PowerEdge 2900. I had an nVidia 8800GT which I physically cut half of the PCIe bus off of to fit that rig. Drivers picked it up as a X8 card, and it worked fine with the power tapped off of the backplane.

Not gonna mess with tapping into power. Me and electricity have issues. Did you know you can actually get thrown about 2 feet?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LFreeman said:

Not gonna mess with tapping into power. Me and electricity have issues. Did you know you can actually get thrown about 2 feet?

I mean, not from one 9V battery.  But a PSU is pretty powerful.

 

Just make sure if you jury rig power supplies it's not a card someone cares about or else you'll get people begging you not to.  😆 


R5 3600, 5700 XT, AX370 K7...  and that's plenty for me.  If you ignore the masses of other parts I occasionally put together and laugh about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LFreeman said:

Not gonna mess with tapping into power. Me and electricity have issues. Did you know you can actually get thrown about 2 feet?

😮

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

I mean, not from one 9V battery.  But a PSU is pretty powerful.

 

Just make sure if you jury rig power supplies it's not a card someone cares about or else you'll get people begging you not to.  😆 

I am going to just run one outside and put the 8pin from that one the card. It was actually an outlet. I was baby sitting and the kid threw popcorn all over. Went to vacuum. My neighbor neglected to tell me there was a bad outlet.. 

Edited by LFreeman
Forgot a detail. I'm tired sue me
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LFreeman said:

I am going to just run one outside and put the 8pin from that one the card. It was actually an outlet. I was baby sitting and the kid threw popcorn all over. My neighbor neglected to tell me there was a bad outlet.. 

On a riser?  Yeah, no issues there.  I guess it was my 2 PSU 2 cards in one slot that had people unhappy.

 

(To be fair, while I had no concern on the longevity of the hardware, everything has been much more stable paired as 1 cpu / 1 gpu.)


R5 3600, 5700 XT, AX370 K7...  and that's plenty for me.  If you ignore the masses of other parts I occasionally put together and laugh about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hydrochloric said:

On a riser?  Yeah, no issues there.  I guess it was my 2 PSU 2 cards in one slot that had people unhappy.

 

(To be fair, while I had no concern on the longevity of the hardware, everything has been much more stable paired as 1 cpu / 1 gpu.)

Just gonna run 1 card for now to see how this works. And by now I mean in the morning. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LFreeman said:

Just gonna run 1 card for now to see how this works. And by now I mean in the morning. 

my x8-to-x16 risers are coming from China. I'm gonna have to soak them in a vat of rubbing alcohol when they get here before I even think of installing them to get my GPUs running in the server. Hopefully in the next week or so... 

 

https://www.newegg.com/p/36M-01AF-000J2?Item=9SIAM5VA454385

 

I have both of the cards ready. I could either try to notch the slots on the motherboard, or cut the cards down to x8 to get them running now, but I'm trying to be a patient good boy and wait for the risers to come to get them choochin' along... lol

 

😬😬😬

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TheAmazingDave said:

my x8-to-x16 risers are coming from China. I'm gonna have to soak them in a vat of rubbing alcohol when they get here before I even think of installing them to get my GPUs running in the server. Hopefully in the next week or so... 

 

https://www.newegg.com/p/36M-01AF-000J2?Item=9SIAM5VA454385

 

I have both of the cards ready. I could either try to notch the slots on the motherboard, or cut the cards down to x8 to get them running now, but I'm trying to be a patient good boy and wait for the risers to come to get them choochin' along... lol

 

😬😬😬

China is a lot safer than almost anywhere else atm.  Virus needs to travel inside living bodies. It can live outside them but not for very long.  


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like just yesterday I was below 10k... now im over 6 million :)

 

This is fun to be honest


Inari - Ryzen 9 3900X, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3400, Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti, Corsair Crystal 680X, 2x Corsair MP510 960gb SSD, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD, 2x Toshiba 5TB HDDs, Acer Predator X27, Lots of Sony camera equipment

Link to post
Share on other sites

retweet please! 

 


Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Crosshair VIII hero  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Gigabyte 1660s OC -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  Lian Li PC-011D  -  H100i RGB Platinum SE  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  PNY OC GTX 1060 3GB - Asus Strix 1070Ti -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Fractal Design Define C  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

 

CrumpleBox.2: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  4GB Patriot Viper DDR4 2133  -  2x Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX  -  Arctic Freezer 34  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

 

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GrockleTD said:

retweet please! 

 

Aw sad :(

 

I mean its all in good fun and stuff though and for a good cause


Inari - Ryzen 9 3900X, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3400, Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti, Corsair Crystal 680X, 2x Corsair MP510 960gb SSD, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD, 2x Toshiba 5TB HDDs, Acer Predator X27, Lots of Sony camera equipment

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey do you think it's save to run on surface Pro 5 or will I kill it?


LTT Official 2020 Folding Month - October 12th to November 22nd. Enter to win prizes and join the fight against COVID-19.   LTT Official Folding Month 2020 Thread  | Sign up here 

 

Are you looking for a good cause to support ?   Macmillan Cancer Support | Cancer Research UK

 

Folding systems - 

 

Ryzen 7 2700X | ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4-2400 | 250GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2  NVMe | ADATA ASU650SS-960GT-C 960GB Ultimate | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SC ULTRA GAMING 6GB | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER SC ULTRA GAMING 8GB | Corsair 750W TX750M 80Plus Gold | GameMax F15M Mesh | Windows 10 Pro

 

Ryzen 7 1700 | ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING | Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4) DDR4-2400 | 500GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 |  EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SC ULTRA GAMING 6GB | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER SC ULTRA GAMING 8GB | Corsair 750W TX750M 80Plus Gold | MasterBox MB500 | Windows 10 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got all my rigs online where possible

 

Current gpus folding:

vega 64

295x2

970

mars 760x2

gtx 950

 

currently sitting at about 2.5m ppd

round abouts 1800-2000w from the wall


My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, marknd59 said:

Hey do you think it's save to run on surface Pro 5 or will I kill it?

I'm not running it on my SB2. Even running on the GPU alone caused the poor CPU to hit 100C every now and then. 


Mini-ITX Desktop: i9-9900K@5GHz, 32GB TridentZ RGB 3200MHz, Asus Strix Z390-i, Asus Strix 2070, Samsung 970 EVO+ NVMe 1TB, Bitfenix Prodigy ITX with a custom clear side panel

Laptop: Surface Book 2 13.5" (i7-16GB-512GB-GTX1050)

Link to post
Share on other sites

@cbigfootNOOOOO stay away from me 

image.png.ef86f54bcf224649d28e36e22aff02b3.png


Mini-ITX Desktop: i9-9900K@5GHz, 32GB TridentZ RGB 3200MHz, Asus Strix Z390-i, Asus Strix 2070, Samsung 970 EVO+ NVMe 1TB, Bitfenix Prodigy ITX with a custom clear side panel

Laptop: Surface Book 2 13.5" (i7-16GB-512GB-GTX1050)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

China is a lot safer than almost anywhere else atm.  Virus needs to travel inside living bodies. It can live outside them but not for very long.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShortRouter said:

 

200.PNG

 

tenor.gif

I don't even read through it all anymore. It's too much! I wake up and BOOM 200+.


5820K 4.0GHz | NH D15S | 32 GB RAM | GTX 580 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.


×