LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

6 minutes ago, BlueJedi said:

That's fair. Not suggesting a permanent solution for all your systems. If the issue is because you're seeing power dips, than a line conditioner will only get you so far. A good line interactive UPS is a line conditioner too and makes up for any shortfalls from the wall. They usually give somewhat helpful real-time power stats too. Can be helpful to see what the wall power is doing while you're overclocking.

I looked at line conditioners for my situation but found a UPS to be a much cheaper solution.

Whether a line conditioner is a better solution than a UPS depends on a few factors.  UPSes get very expensive very quickly, with a line conditioner if the actual power delivery from the line is a problem they won’t necessarily help. UPSes also run on batteries and the batteries have to be replaced with some frequency so there is continuing cost. (Batteries CAN usually  be replaced in a IPS but not always).  The particular model design makes a big difference.  I suggest the ones that use replacable lead acid motorcycle batteries.  Production volume makes them fairly cheap)  It’s kind of situationally dependent.  Sometimes a UPS is cheaper, sometimes it’s really not.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I looked at line conditioners for my situation but found a UPS to be a much cheaper solution.

Whether a line conditioner is a better solution than a UPS depends on a few factors.  UPSes get very expensive very quickly, with a line conditioner if the actual power delivery from the line is a problem they won’t necessarily help. UPSes also run on batteries and the batteries have to be replaced with some frequency so there is continuing cost. (Batteries CAN usually  be replaced in a IPS but not always).  The particular model design makes a big difference.  I suggest the ones that use replacable lead acid motorcycle batteries.  Production volume makes them fairly cheap)  It’s kind of situationally dependent.  Sometimes a UPS is cheaper, sometimes it’s really not.

True. That's why I don't necessarily think it was the solution for someone running multiple power hungry systems. As a diagnostic step, a small decent UPS rules out power entirely and can be fairly useful for overclocking and testing. It might even shed some light on the quality of the wall power under load.

9 hours ago, DonGuano said:

Finally got a replacement canditate  for my 2080. It's a 2070 Super. Want to see PPD but can't get WUs atm..

There was a 2080Ti at Verkkokauppa 3rd (Helsinki) floor for a 899€... couple of days ago at least... 😉

🇫🇮 Regular ol folder´s Stats... What Event 🤪                            

Main PC: 8700K & MSI 2080Ti Seahawk

Utility PC: Threadripper 1920x & MSI 2080 Seahawk

Dedicated to the Fold: i7 2600K & MSI 1080Ti OC Armor

...good to be back to folding...   🇫🇮

11 minutes ago, LU0P10 said:

There was a 2080Ti at Verkkokauppa 3rd floor for a 899€... couple of days ago at least... 😉

Currently fighting the urge to buy a 2080 super for $737 USD.

Maybe when I go back to work this summer, but I also want a new laptop.

Also wanna see how Ampere does, might snag a 2080ti if the price drops enough from that.

EDIT: 69th post *Giggle*

F@H    EOC

10 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

Nice.

3 hours ago, GalaxyNetworks said:

Does it get too hot if you fold while he's playing?

I fold with my RTX 2080 ti while playing games like RDO and WWZ. I can only feel a little impact in RDO.

Is it safe to fold and game all together? I don't game while folding thinking it might damage my GTX 1080

3 minutes ago, Ghost.Hunterzz said:

Is it safe to fold and game all together? I don't game while folding thinking it might damage my GTX 1080

Folding already takes gpu up to 100% or close. Gaming doesn't add much on top of it (not much remaining) or rather, depending on title gaming is usually the heavier task.

Been doing folding and FFXIV on my 1080ti, FPS is halved usually and folding time is doubled, but temps rise from 70C (only folding) to 76C (both).

16 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

Currently fighting the urge to buy a 2080 super for $737 USD.

Maybe when I go back to work this summer, but I also want a new laptop.

Also wanna see how Ampere does, might snag a 2080ti if the price drops enough from that.

I couldn´t fight the urge... I just went few days ago for a MSI 2080 Seahawk (699€) ... which is 2080 super with a EKWB full cover water block with that great RGB puke ( I think only the water block is still these days ~150€ if bought separately) 

I REALLY do wish they would give the up-to-date estimate of the F@H performance... because the figure has been unchanged for around a week already. This would be the perfect opportunity to dish out a peak performance advertisement. I mean LTT is going full steam ahead and I believe PCMR (in fact many of the team have upwards trend production) is trying to wake up and AWS is now a great addition... as a timing this might be the absolute peak for a while to come... 

FLOPS_status_2.jpg

12 minutes ago, LU0P10 said:

I REALLY do wish they would give the up-to-date estimate of the F@H performance...

Me too.

12 minutes ago, LU0P10 said:

because the figure has been unchanged for around a week already.

The figures hadn't been updated in like 4 years prior to this update, LOL.

They say they have a reached a little over a million devices online as of the 2nd of April.

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD

image.png.101ab628cf1c19f483e8095ce4988123.png

Two updates at 0?  I am disappoint, I was on track to beat my previous day.

R5 3600, 5700 XT, AX370 K7...  and that's plenty for me.  If you ignore the masses of other parts I occasionally put together and laugh about.

Just now, hydrochloric said:

Just means you'll get even more points on the next day when it catches up 😛

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

Yeahhhhh but it's still nice to be able to gauge daily production, especially since all 3 machines seem to have been running 24/7.

R5 3600, 5700 XT, AX370 K7...  and that's plenty for me.  If you ignore the masses of other parts I occasionally put together and laugh about.

10 minutes ago, Spotty said:

11 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

Doing better than me... :( cant seem to get WU for trying. /shrug

image.png.0a8ac5a5692920fbeab82256bf04da3f.png

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

15 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Doing better than me... :( cant seem to get WU for trying. /shrug

Maybe the new K40s will help.🤷‍♂️

F@H    EOC

On 4/1/2020 at 5:24 AM, Micho523 said:

Are there any settings I can tweak to increase performance to hopefully increase the actual points per work unit?

Do you have your passkey set up?

1 hour ago, rkv_2401 said:

Me too.

The figures hadn't been updated in like 4 years prior to this update, LOL.

They say they have a reached a little over a million devices online as of the 2nd of April.

So they likely are still working on that million USER count, I'm sure AWS has a lot more devices running than CoreWeave's "over 6000".

4 hours ago, HaRdLy007 said:

Any pointers how to set it up to track?

My main rig is my windows 10 machine, and I'd like to track the one Linux box I finally got folding on the GPU as well.

Take a look at the remote access Lin in my Sig.  Part 1 covers the clients and Part 2 HfM

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

3 minutes ago, QuintLeo said:

Do you have your passkey set up?

Yes make sure you have a passkey

client-type     advanced

next-unit-percentage     95 

also if you have 32 core you need a setting for Big

but first make sure you have a passkey 

48 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

It's been rough this evening

chrome_TH5oiFQDIS.png

We fold with interesting statistics.

I started ten days ago. Since day two I have consistently gotten three and sometimes four different numbers for my account depending what web page I look at.

I figured out one of these pages manages to add my numbers to the numbers of several different people - clearly rubbish but I think maybe it's expected behavior.

Two others are always 1833 different from each other.

Much of the rest of the weirdness seems to depend on how big the last work unit was and when the data was updated.

I'm not worried about this - stuff kinda works. I've seen the numbers for the change in workload and the increased number of accounts and I'm kinda amazed it works as well as it does. I had my highest points day today so I'd just like to say;

GOOD WORK TECH TEAM!