LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

Just now, Shigeru said:

Hey! Well... I don`t have pretty much anything regarding video cards for example, no kidding that GT 1030 is the biggest thing I have. But 2 A.M. over here and I have to wake up early (even with the lockdown, we have my grandmother and she needs care), tomorrow I can send you the specs of my current computers :)

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

2700X, have 6 cores set for folding work leaving 1 core for GPU feed and 1 core for running whatever I'm doing. In reality Windows balances it all out. No OC past PBO XFR stuff, running about 4.1ghz at 1.2-1.3 volts on 6 cores active folding. I'd rather get GPU work units since it's way more efficient.

Well...  I have a 7970 Dual-X and a Vega 56 AirBoost.  I'm running both as folding units, but no reason I need to be.  Hell, I'm not even registered for this competition.  Would one be useful for you?  I need one for 4k output to my TV, but you're welcome to one.

R5 3600, 5700 XT, AX370 K7...  and that's plenty for me.  If you ignore the masses of other parts I occasionally put together and laugh about.

image.png.38c4ccc46c9f1899d55a6407466394cf.png

Yall can't compete

Come fold while not gaming! http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

Gaming Rig: i7-9700k 5GHz all core, GTX 1070, 16GB TridentZ, Buncha ssds...

Stream Machine: R7 1700, GTX 660 (lol), 16GB Corsair Somethingoranother, 120 GB SSD i've had since 2012. 

Mobile Workstation: MSI-ALPHA :R7 3750H, RX 5500M, 16GB of some ram, 500GB SSD.

I don't want to speak too soon but both my GPU and CPU have been well fed for the last 24 hrs.  Would be neat if there was a compiled list of WU compelted so I could at a glance see what I helped with. 

Spoiler

image.png.3918db1c763204b340d34492fd5a5299.png

12 minutes ago, pred1tor83 said:

I don't want to speak too soon but both my GPU and CPU have been well fed for the last 24 hrs.  Would be neat if there was a compiled list of WU compelted so I could at a glance see what I helped with. 

Reveal hidden contents

That would be pretty neat!

Folding for 8 days now and proud to hit the 4m mark this night. I am folding with my R9 3950x and my RTX 2070 and my girlfriends PC, R5 2600X with RX380 and finally after the few first days i am getting more constant WUs to crunch through! :)

grafik.png

38 minutes ago, pred1tor83 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, same with me. Hopefully it will continue. I have definitely felt the temperature increase in my computer room this afternoon due to all my machines being active. :)

image.thumb.png.0aa798a77b09c610356024ae93cb3049.png

6 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Well, the blog is up! I think that was the smoothest it's gone yet!

Wow, I totally didn't expect this. Even being in the Top1000 was nothing I thought would be possible, but Top400 for now with only a Ryzen9 3950X and a Radeon RX5700 XT is... wow :)

Thanks for the update every day, and the race style commentary ^^

Ryzen9 3950X | ROG Strix X570-E Gaming | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 | Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT Gaming OC 8GB | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, WD RED 3TB | Seasonic Focus DX 750W | NZXT Kraken X72 with Noctua NF-A12x25 | NZXT H700

When you wake up check your PC and see it hasnt folded in the last 10-12 hours as stuck on downloading assignment.. 😢 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Been folding less than a week. Unsure how to find rankings at LTT to measure my di... PC against others. Also, had to deny my CPU as it was just shy of 100c and I'd rather not butn my house down. Any way to give them a bit less than full access to it while allowing full access to the GPUs?

My Stats

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master/ i9-9900K/ 64GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz/ Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti x2 (NVlink)/ 14TB Seagate Barracuda/ 64GB M10 Optane Memory (Modifies 14TB HDD)/ 2TB 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe/ Corsair 1200W HX Series™ Modular 80 Plus®/ Corsair H115i Pro Cooler/ Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2

11 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Been folding less than a week. Unsure how to find rankings at LTT to measure my di... PC against others. Also, had to deny my CPU as it was just shy of 100c and I'd rather not butn my house down. Any way to give them a bit less than full access to it while allowing full access to the GPUs?

You could just assign fewer cores to your CPU. For example if you got something like a 6700K, you could just use 4 cores and get a lower draw on your CPU. Your GPU should just use 1 core, and that only once in awhile, if you just used the default setup.

You can change core use in the configure tab in the F@H advanced control.

WWOW! We are doing incredibly well! We`re still on total rank 4 (in the screenshot I ranked by points/week) total but look at the active users, the increase withing the last week and the 24h average 😮

grafik.thumb.png.3bbbdca8d74e56909c476e03976c114e.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D | Motherboard: MSI MPG X670E Carbon WiFi
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 6000 MHz CL30 2x16GB | GPU: AMD XFX 7900 XTX
Case: BeQuiet Dark Base 900 Pro rev.2 | PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 11 1000W
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro + Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TBGB M.2 + Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2 + Seagate Ironwolf 8TB HDD
Watercooling: EKWM Quantum Velocity2 + Alphacool Aurora D5 + Alphacool GPU Block
Radiators & Fans: 420/30 copper rad + 360/30 copper rad all Silent Wings 4 Pro @ 40%
Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB | Mouse: Logitech G502X Plus | Mousepad: Logitech Powerplay | Headset: Corsair Virtuoso XT
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 32:9 1440p

Do all Work Units have the bonus points attached to them? Or do some of them don't have any bonus points?

Although I would get the estimated credit in most cases, sometimes, I would get some work units, where I would only receive the base credits, instead of the estimated credits. 

Anybody else experience the same thing?

17 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Open the Advanced controls (you should have a shortcut in your start menu). Click configure and delete the CPU slot. it aint really worth the power needed to run it most of the time anyways

5 minutes ago, Daniel_SC said:

You could just assign fewer cores to your CPU. For example if you got something like a 6700K, you could just use 4 cores and get a lower draw on your CPU. Your GPU should just use 1 core, and that only once in awhile, if you just used the default setup.

You can change core use in the configure tab in the F@H advanced control.

Thank you, gave it 10 of 16 cores... we'll see if that works.

My Stats

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master/ i9-9900K/ 64GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz/ Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti x2 (NVlink)/ 14TB Seagate Barracuda/ 64GB M10 Optane Memory (Modifies 14TB HDD)/ 2TB 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe/ Corsair 1200W HX Series™ Modular 80 Plus®/ Corsair H115i Pro Cooler/ Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2

Just now, Ayren said:

Open the Advanced controls (you should have a shortcut in your start menu). Click configure and delete the CPU slot. it aint really worth the power needed to run it most of the time anyways

Appreciated but already had done that. I think it would have burned it out at -1.

My Stats

Just now, Classified101 said:

Do all Work Units have the bonus points attached to them? Or do some of them don't have any bonus points?

Although I would get the estimated credit in most cases, sometimes, I would get some work units, where I would only receive the base credits, instead of the estimated credits. 

if you saw base points in log, that means that client failed get answer from server and it will take long time to get points for you, bacause at the moment this WU doesn't even counted as completed (servers are still overloading)

1 minute ago, Classified101 said:

All Projects are eligible for bonus points if you have your passkey setup correctly (its either all or none though)

Bonus Points or rather the the calculation for total points is as follows:
final_points = base_points * max(1, sqrt( k * deadline_length / elapsed_time))

26 minutes ago, Zonker said:

For LTT's folding stats, check out EXTREME Overclocking's site (LinusTechTips_Team). For your own stats, search for your user name in the search box on the left side of the page. EXTREME Overclocking will list the 10 folders closest to your rank, I'm not sure if there's a way to directly compare specific LTT folders with each other.

If you'd like to tweak your Folding@home CPU settings:

In the Advanced view, click on the "Configure" button, select the "Slots" tab and double-click on you CPU slot in the list of slots. Then in the pop-up window that will open you will see on the top "The number of CPU threads this slot should use" and the number in the box below should be "-1", this is the default. Just change this value to whatever number of cores you want the client to use, click OK and SAVE on the remaining opened pop-up windows.

SourceFor Folding Users - Tips, Tricks and FAQ by Whaler_99.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

1 minute ago, Eschew said:

For LTT's folding stats, check out EXTREME Overclocking (LinusTechTips_Team). For your own individual stats, search for your user name in the search box on the left side of the page. EXTREME Overclocking will list the 10 folders closest to your rank, I'm not sure if there's a way to directly compare specific LTT folders with each other.

If you'd like to tweak your Folding@home settings:

SourceFor Folding Users - Tips, Tricks and FAQ by Whaler_99.

Thanks for this... perfect. :)

My Stats

Like Ayren said in the advanced controls you could switch off the CPU. Or you could assign less threads like so:
grafik.png.20a977c2772a127764f1281435747fb1.png

grafik.thumb.png.06ddd32f7ea5820b8c8b803d9807ec4c.png

grafik.thumb.png.ee7aef611c92968a0a141882b05d1864.png

IF your CPU  has f.e. 12 Threads you can still leave 6 assigned without it getting too busy and hot.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D | Motherboard: MSI MPG X670E Carbon WiFi
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 6000 MHz CL30 2x16GB | GPU: AMD XFX 7900 XTX
Case: BeQuiet Dark Base 900 Pro rev.2 | PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 11 1000W
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro + Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TBGB M.2 + Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2 + Seagate Ironwolf 8TB HDD
Watercooling: EKWM Quantum Velocity2 + Alphacool Aurora D5 + Alphacool GPU Block
Radiators & Fans: 420/30 copper rad + 360/30 copper rad all Silent Wings 4 Pro @ 40%
Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB | Mouse: Logitech G502X Plus | Mousepad: Logitech Powerplay | Headset: Corsair Virtuoso XT
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 32:9 1440p

11 minutes ago, Ayren said:

All Projects are eligible for bonus points if you have your passkey setup correctly (its either all or none though)

Bonus Points or rather the the calculation for total points is as follows:
final_points = base_points * max(1, sqrt( k * deadline_length / elapsed_time))

yes I do have a passkey set up. As I mentioned, only sometimes I would get the base credit instead of the estimated credit.

This is the most recent one:

image.png.3a6b0f4331545327e32265bad88b409c.png

and this is the one before that:

image.png.6ffab6a0d4ff4950cb759b767ac75311.png

You see what I'm trying to say?

6 minutes ago, efka112 said:

if you saw base points in log, that means that client failed get answer from server and it will take long time to get points for you, bacause at the moment this WU doesn't even counted as completed (servers are still overloading)

But the finished work unit got successfully uploaded. So that does mean that the client is able to communicate with the server right?

I'm confused