Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GOTSpectrum

LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

14 minutes ago, Plexas said:

image.png.f41fbc9f7c741b7158f1dee025003ef9.png

Now that is some chonky boy :o . 7hrs on a 3700x, probably the largest i got so far.

Same project here 8600K 12 hours. Is there a way to contribute CPU work to COVID??

Delid 8600K @ 5GHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming G1 | Phantex Enthoo Pro M SE | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX100 256GB | 3TB Toshiba P300 | Corsair AX750 Custom Sleeved | Dell U2515H | Custom Hardline Tubing: EK Supremacy + 240 Coolstream PE + DDC 3.1 Pump Res Combo/Extended Res/Meyhems Pastel White | Corsair K95 Platinum | Corsair M65 RGB | Bose Speakers + Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro + AKG K240 MkII + Shure 840 | W10 Pro | https://pcpartpicker.com/user/socom_hero/saved/#view=NF74CJ

4 minutes ago, J1mjam said:

I presume because my OC wasnt as stable as I thought. AVX256 workloads are a WHOLE other beast. 

I Just got 10% of the way through, and the GPU stopped working, and the CPU ramped up to 100% again for about 30 seconds, before going back to normal.  The work load needs a beefy CPU along side to keep the GPU fed, it seems!  I don't know why else it would require 100% CPU usage for a GPU workload!

How do you have your CPU set up in F@H adcanced control? You may want to go into configure -> slots -> double click on CPU.

If you have it set to -1 (the default), that means the client is handling allocation of CPU cores/threads and could be choking the entire thing up. If you are using NVIDIA GPU(s), I recommend setting this number to x-y, where x is the number of cores you have and y is the number of GPUs you are folding on. If you are using AMD GPU(s), set it to x-1.

If you've already done this, I have no other advice and perhaps that WU is just a slaughterhouse

4 minutes ago, SOCOM_HERO said:

Same project here 8600K 12 hours. Is there a way to contribute CPU work to COVID??

Not specifically, COVID WUs are prioritized but you cant force the client to take them.

6 minutes ago, HaRdLy007 said:

I had to pull my HD 6950 as it was consistently throwing bad WU's right after starting.

My 7970 has been a slow and steady beast, regardless of which system it's in or how much airflow it has.

The vega, on the other hand...

R5 3600, 5700 XT, AX370 K7...  and that's plenty for me.  If you ignore the masses of other parts I occasionally put together and laugh about.

Just now, Damienrj said:

Are others still having trouble getting GPU work units? Haven't gotten any since yesterday.

Getting them so fast i had to turn of queuing new WUs at 95%... what gpu are you using and have you tried restarting your client?

27 minutes ago, Ayren said:

Probably a gamble... IIRC the Titan Xp is a fully unlocked GP102 which would make it prob like ~5-10% better than my current GPU so maybe 10-15% better ppd than mine but i dunno how your 2070 compares due to the architecture differences. They very well may trade blows

My 2070 alone does around 1.4-1.6 million per day. I also game at 1080p 144hz though, so the Titan's VRAM advantage is probably lost on me

Mini-ITX Desktop: i9-9900K@5GHz, 32GB TridentZ RGB 3200MHz, Asus Strix Z390-i, Asus Strix 2070, Samsung 970 EVO+ NVMe 1TB, Bitfenix Prodigy ITX with a custom clear side panel

Laptop: Surface Book 2 13.5" (i7-16GB-512GB-GTX1050)

2 minutes ago, Damienrj said:

Are others still having trouble getting GPU work units? Haven't gotten any since yesterday.

I almost always have one in the queue, now I'm struggling to get CPU units.

R5 3600, 5700 XT, AX370 K7...  and that's plenty for me.  If you ignore the masses of other parts I occasionally put together and laugh about.

14 minutes ago, HaRdLy007 said:

I had to pull my HD 6950 as it was consistently throwing bad WU's right after starting.

How can you tell if you have had bad WUs?

image.png.cf8163634696e11bcaa53c1e72ab6c3e.png

Just churning out an average of near a billion.. in the AWSFolds team.. 1 user. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Stormseeker9 said:

image.png.cf8163634696e11bcaa53c1e72ab6c3e.png

Just churning out an average of near a billion.. in the AWSFolds team.. 1 user. 

Thats because its amazons datacentre 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor @ 4Ghz
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3400mhz
  • GPU
    Aorus GTX 1080 Waterforce
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    BenQ - XL2430(144hz), Dell 24" portrait
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240
14 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

How do you have your CPU set up in F@H adcanced control? You may want to go into configure -> slots -> double click on CPU.

If you have it set to -1 (the default), that means the client is handling allocation of CPU cores/threads and could be choking the entire thing up. If you are using NVIDIA GPU(s), I recommend setting this number to x-y, where x is the number of cores you have and y is the number of GPUs you are folding on. If you are using AMD GPU(s), set it to x-1.

If you've already done this, I have no other advice and perhaps that WU is just a slaughterhouse

Believe it or not, the CPU wasnt even folding at the time, the CPU workload required to get the GPU WU up and running was intense enough to kill everything!

Bleh, according to stats I did not get too many WUs last night after that little streak, I had a spike of 200k at one point then like, nothing lol

Inari - Ryzen 9 3900X, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3400, Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti, Corsair Crystal 680X, 2x Corsair MP510 960gb SSD, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD, 2x Toshiba 5TB HDDs, Acer Predator X27, Lots of Sony camera equipment

1 hour ago, J1mjam said:

NOOOOOOO! My Desktop just blue screened!   Lost 60% of two work units, they wouldn't restart. (What's the point of checkpoints anyways?)

Its been running fine for 48 hours. 😢

Can I have an F in chat

This is why you don't run F@H on:

1) a desktop

2) any Win-OS version for more then 5 mins and

3) any combination of the above

🤨

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

1 minute ago, Dutch_Master said:

1) a desktop

🤨

Knock on wood, F@H hasn't caused a BSOD, just random black screen full shutdowns.  I think in most cases it's been cooling related.

9 minutes ago, Drakkon_Sol said:

How can you tell if you have had bad WUs?

Check the logs for BAD_WORK_UNIT and FAULTY on the upload.

I'm running into a weird issue. If I leave the CPU in the client it will not get WUs at all. I get the " No WUs available for this configuration" error for both CPU and GPU. If I remove or pause the CPU in the client the GPU more or less gets a steady stream of WUs. I've tried playing with the thread count manually with inconsistent success. Windows and drivers are up to date. Any ideas what is going on? Specs below:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: GTX 970
RAM: 16GB

4 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

1) a desktop

🤨

Hmmmm, I must be the exception then since i am running F@H on 4 desktops and a laptop all running Windows 10 that have been running full bore for 11 straight days and counting with no issues churning out 9 to 10 million PPD. 🤔

11 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

Check the logs for BAD_WORK_UNIT and FAULTY on the upload.

How? Ctrl+f, or scroll through it and just look for it?

32 minutes ago, Ayren said:

any idea why project 14541 is scoring 15-20% lower for me than the average project 2 days ago? is it old architecture on my side or just the appraisal that project ended up having?

I dunno. I see 1.8MPP on that WU on my 2070 Supers which is a bit low for them but still in the range I typically see - 1.6-2.0. It's not a very large WU with only 23,671 atoms.

My 2070A gets about 1.5MPPD which is a titch low for that card on Core22 (It's long term average on Core 21 was 1.55MPPD)

My average over the last few days on one of the 2070S is 1.92MPPD:

2070S_PPD.thumb.jpg.d2a37aa507a479596e1920fca905ec96.jpg

Some WUs are just lower performing than others. Typically when we look at averages for Folding we want to see the average over at least 3-4 days, ideally a month.

Also, due to the need for quick results the WUs are being sent out much faster than normal and so aren't spending as much time getting profiled in Alpha then sanity-checked in Beta so I expect we will see a wider than normal variation in PPD these days.

33 minutes ago, Xaiux said:

My 2070 alone does around 1.4-1.6 million per day. I also game at 1080p 144hz though, so the Titan's VRAM advantage is probably lost on me

From what i am seeing these simulations hardly use any VRAM anyways... but what they do use they use a lot so im still interested how an HBM card would do compared to a comparable non HBM card

41 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

My 7970 has been a slow and steady beast, regardless of which system it's in or how much airflow it has.

The vega, on the other hand...

What PPD are you getting on the 7970?

42 minutes ago, Ayren said:

Getting them so fast i had to turn of queuing new WUs at 95%... what gpu are you using and have you tried restarting your client?

I have a gtx 1070, sounds like maybe a restart will fix it. (And it did fix it).