LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

3 minutes ago, Pasi123 said:

I'm pretty sure those are GFLOPS, not VRAM

I can confirm my card is 8gb... but alas not enough to run 4k max games :( .

@Bombastinator, my GPU & CPU have been working since apx noon CST non stop.

If anyone is wondering the '2070' performs not much over a 2060 which makes me think it's some weird OEM card, but regardless, it was cheaper than a 2060 so I'm still happy. 

But then again the cooling is woeful, it sits at a nice 89C in FOLDATRON so the clocks are probably terrible 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

If anyone is wondering the '2070' performs not much over a 2060 which makes me think it's some weird OEM card

But then again the cooling is woeful, it sits at a nice 89C

Well there's ya problem. Probably also has a low board power cap.

Just now, leadeater said:

Well there's ya problem. Probably also has a low board power cap.

But I was planning to get a 2060 so even so I'm fine with it

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

If anyone is wondering the '2070' performs not much over a 2060 which makes me think it's some weird OEM card, but regardless, it was cheaper than a 2060 so I'm still happy. 

But then again the cooling is woeful, it sits at a nice 89C in FOLDATRON so the clocks are probably terrible 

You sound a lot more knowledgeable than I am, but if this tells you anything to compare to...  But at the price point you got it, cant go wrong!

Spoiler

1234.thumb.PNG.0920d2fbc41f36db12695d47190318d3.PNG

But I was planning to get a 2060 so even so I'm fine with it

I wonder, bucket of salt water + ice + desk fan blowing over bucket in to side of case. Would that raise the clocks or not.

Just now, leadeater said:

I wonder, bucket of salt water + ice + desk fan blowing over bucket in to side of case. Would that raise the clocks or not.

Salt water... Computers...

What is it with you guys trying to get me to kill FOLDATRON? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Man, this is really frustrating. My CPU keeps getting non-COVID19 work, and both my CPU and GPU get one job and then nothing for the rest of the day. I have to basically babysit and wait for an hour after nothing happens to pause and resume the client so I can get more work.

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

nvm with not worth

I think I'm having a problem... gpu usage is now averaging to about 30 to 70% instead of the 100% it usually was. I'm checking it through gpu-z.

Even the frequencies are not sticking to the max. Averaging 800/900 mhz instead of the usual 1040+.

I thought it was a WU thing, but this is happening with 3 WU now...

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

45 minutes ago, kgft36 said:

Man, this is really frustrating. My CPU keeps getting non-COVID19 work, and both my CPU and GPU get one job and then nothing for the rest of the day. I have to basically babysit and wait for an hour after nothing happens to pause and resume the client so I can get more work.

same for me, just yesterday I got an GPU WU today I got an CPU WU

Annotation 2020-03-30 095242.jpg

1 hour ago, pred1tor83 said:

My father got around this by installing an room unit.  Not the most efficient way of handling it but it got him through three years. Wish ya the best of luck.

That was something I definitely have considered... The rooms layout just makes it hard for me to decide where to put one that would be adjacent to an outlet and also near enough to a window

Forgive the poor quality from the razer phone 2 and stuff, these are from several months ago when i repainted the space (and before i fixed the subwoofer cable..and added an aircleaner where the trash can is)

Oh and as i do not have an ikea (That isnt in Canada 45 minutes away) no i do not have the "standard youtube/reddit Ikea room package" lol Honestly would love to see one of the Youtubers do a thing about "What if you DONT have an ikea for whatever reason and need some furniture" -_-

IMG_20190822_222446.jpg

IMG_20190822_223517.jpg

Inari - Ryzen 9 3900X, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3400, eVGA RTX 3080 FTW3, Corsair Crystal 680X, 2x Corsair MP510 960gb SSD, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD, 2x Toshiba 5TB HDDs, Acer Predator X27, Lots of Sony camera equipment

Asus RoG Zephyrus G15 5900HS/3070/QHD On Order

52 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Kill eeeet!

You are spot on, lived near to the coast before and the salty air would even rust stainless steel and chrome.

Maybe get some rusty steampunk vibes ?

12 minutes ago, KenjiS9965 said:

That was something I definitely have considered... The rooms layout just makes it hard for me to decide where to put one that would be adjacent to an outlet and also near enough to a window

Forgive the poor quality from the razer phone 2 and stuff, these are from several months ago when i repainted the space (and before i fixed the subwoofer cable..and added an aircleaner where the trash can is)

Oh and as i do not have an ikea (That isnt in Canada 45 minutes away) no i do not have the "standard youtube/reddit Ikea room package" lol Honestly would love to see one of the Youtubers do a thing about "What if you DONT have an ikea for whatever reason and need some furniture" -_-

Well, my idea goes right out the window, well not in your room as your lacking a few lol, thats a huge room.  He had an average room (read 15x15) with just his computer desk and two different windows to use.  

On to my second idea, how about a mini split?  More of a permanent solution but I am going to be installing a 24000-30000btu unit this summer in the garage.

Spoiler

Don't mind the dust, this was a few months ago when I was installing the steam link.

20200121_183244.thumb.jpg.867ca9092b0aa4db0147989545e7e684.jpg

8 minutes ago, pred1tor83 said:

Well, my idea goes right out the window, thats a huge room.  He had an average room (read 15x15) with just his computer desk and two different windows to use.  

On to my second idea, how about a mini split?  More of a permanent solution but I am going to be installing a 24000-30000btu unit this summer in the garage.

Hide contents

20200121_183244.thumb.jpg.867ca9092b0aa4db0147989545e7e684.jpg

in terms of square footage, its actually not different, its 12x18 ;) It looks huge because I'm told im rather good at interior design stuff. I do however, have a lot of stuff. I should really take some nicer photos 

Basically right now i feel its going to be a huge money sink until i correct the insulation, The fact that the walls are exterior on 2/4 walls and have pretty much no effective insulation doesnt help, neither does the attic's lack of insulation. I'm planning to do what i can for the insulation and then go from there, I did consider like, remote controlled dampers that i could adjust remotely to direct more air into this room without making the entire house a sauna (Like the second home theater that i completely gutted and did insulation which is now the most comfortable room in the place)

But yeah a portable AC unit is of course one of the many options ive considered

Inari - Ryzen 9 3900X, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3400, eVGA RTX 3080 FTW3, Corsair Crystal 680X, 2x Corsair MP510 960gb SSD, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD, 2x Toshiba 5TB HDDs, Acer Predator X27, Lots of Sony camera equipment

Asus RoG Zephyrus G15 5900HS/3070/QHD On Order

1 minute ago, KenjiS9965 said:

in terms of square footage, its actually not different

Not what my wife said... But seriously I wish you the best.  I just got the green light to go forever WFH and need to look into either a damper system or something cause just like you my office is on the second floor and facing right into the sun (house allegedly has r30 attic insulation).  Gets down right brutal in the late afternoon.  Time to call it a night, may your temps be safe and your WU plenty... 

3 hours ago, ConceptOW said:

I'm curious to see how much everyone power bill goes up compared to no folding at all. 

Well when i did the last event i folded for around 3 months.... my electricity use shot up.  my supplier raised my bill from £75 to £95 per month lol 

but then i was using a 2070 super and 1070ti with 7 fans cooling it on 100% lol

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

image.png.e68c083a0c3b3e1441799a706569a9b9.png

Slowly but surely looks like F@H servers are up an running.  Only running a RTX 2070 this time round - hard financial times currently.. All small bits help though!

Happy F@lding 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

3 hours ago, ConceptOW said:

I'm curious to see how much everyone power bill goes up compared to no folding at all. 

here you have precise answer for RTX cards running 24/7; see the power bill column

GPU folding optimal setup.xlsx

4 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

image.png.e68c083a0c3b3e1441799a706569a9b9.png

Slowly but surely looks like F@H servers are up an running.  Only running a RTX 2070 this time round - hard financial times currently.. All small bits help though!

Happy F@lding 

image.png.85b2f473193086d4b840293fdf9ac0cf.png 

Same here, good. It's really annoying to go to sleep with my aging 980ti folding away and then waking up and checking 9 hours or so later and finding out that it only finished the WU it was on and has been sitting idle for 8/9 hours 🙃

I've started to setup Azure VM's to "fix" that damn power usage... Better them than me! And why waste credits every damn month if they can be spend on folding! 😁
Sadly, I only have access to the K80 right now. Maybe I'll just spin up another instance, I seem to be getting a lot of GPU projects lately.

My stats: I'm clearly late to the party and with way to little compute power, but everything counts, right 🤔

Spoiler

FoldingLTT.png.deb0de385456fbc270125af0f14adab4.png

2 minutes ago, Wouterrinos said:

image.png.85b2f473193086d4b840293fdf9ac0cf.png 

Same here, good. It's really annoying to go to sleep with my aging 980ti folding away and then waking up and checking 9 hours or so later and finding out that it only finished the WU it was on and has been sitting idle for 8/9 hours 🙃

I'm actually lower :(... I hope it picks back up overnight:

image.png.58b8183fc34ad9adb6176a5f558c5649.png

Main Rig: CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x | Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-PRO | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 3600 (2x8GB) CL-16-18-18 | GPU: Radeon RX5700XT | Case: NZXT H700 - Black/White | Storage: Inland 512GB M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 | PSU: CORSAIR RM 850X 80+ Gold | Display(s): Alienware 34" Curved Monitor - AW3418DW | Cooling: CORSAIR H100i RGB Platinum AIO

Laptop: Lenovo Legion Y450

Just now, StroopFX said:

I'm actually lower :(... I hope it picks back up overnight:

image.png.58b8183fc34ad9adb6176a5f558c5649.png

If all goes according to plan I should be churning out 1.1-1.5M ppd with my 2070.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

57 minutes ago, KenjiS9965 said:

IMG_20190822_222446.jpg

IMG_20190822_223517.jpg

Love the Porsche 911 GT3 RS Lego model. Have the same one sitting on my shelf at home too. Massive thing :)

Edited by ItchyItch