LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

Just now, saibalroop said:

Mine is working on the cpu, but not GPU now...

Screen_Shot_2020-03-15_at_5_56.06_PM.png

Give it time, GPU WUs are being pumped as fast as they can. Not enough to go around. F@H staff is working to fix all issues like these

Cheers from the Border

The OP has been slightly reworked, more work wil possibly be carried out on it in the coming days as we decided if the starting date will be brought forward. In the meantime please do feel free to ask here any questions you have and @Metallus97 can add teh most frequent ones to the FAQ he has posted.

Thank you everyone for your amazing support on this!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Yep! They are overwhelmed by all the support they get! That should be fixed in the next days. 

Dont delete and restart your clients to often please. This is even more work for the servers. Just let it run and you will get work if they have some! 

or better yet start BOINC until F@H settles down. Instructions are in this topic.

My PC and the server also ramped up and ready to crush some numbers.

It's a bit pitty that nothing is getting downloaded. I know they already working on the issue so I'll leave the main PC work overnight :)

Since I've been having GPU issues I can't pin down I decided to move up my purchase of a better heat sink for my 2700X, it's not nearly as powerful as my Vega56 (which is matching a V64/1080ti in Luxmark) but it's better than nothing. As soon as it gets here and get's installed (mid week) I'll get back up and running. It's too loud/too hot until then and I don't want my GPU sending a bunch of bad data/fails back and making more work/trouble for the servers.

Same here, 2 of 3 GPU:s have been idle for hours, have tried restarting once or twice but no luck, i'll just let it run and see when the servers decide to give me something. CPU is running Boinc so no problems there.

Just fetched my new (used) 2080S, sounds like a good burn in test. 

...and really CPU contribution and efficiency is definitely pitiful when you've got a good GPU.

12 threads of very overclocked 5960X = 68927 PPD

2080s: 1727830 PPD

GPU is 25 times more powerful, and at about the same power consumption...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

FOLDATRON.... ACTIVE!!!!

Now to see if we get any fireworks... I'm kinda scared tbf...

image.png.783c0ae26bf8b77908e7268b6eb37e14.png

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

FOLDATRON.... ACTIVE!!!!

Now to see if we get any fireworks... I'm kinda scared tbf...

-snip-

N I C E! How much power does that draw on full load?

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Just now, Metallus97 said:

Enough....

the 5960x alone is nasty...

I will have to see if I can find my kill-a-watt

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Metallus97 said:

Wanna guess how much?

Will see how close you get. It does have a 1000W supernova PSU 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

For those of you who don't know what all the fuss is about I have an issue with my fuse box and I have advised to pull sub 1.5kw through the mains... For risk of a 'significant failure'

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Wanna guess how much?

Will see how close you get. It does have a 1000W supernova PSU 

Hmmm wrong hardware brands for me guessing... never had any of this...

All together maybe about 700-800W?

Hmmm wrong hardware brands for me guessing... never had any of this...

All together maybe about 700-800W?

It OCP'd an 800W EVGA PSU on multiple occasions... so probably somewhere in that ballpark.

I have 7 slots sitting idle...

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just send them here - I've got a pair of 1600W Rosewill Hercules PSUs that can handle all of it, no sweat.

Breaker box may be a different story.....

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Back when I had the 5960X and just 2 970s I was at 860W already so NOPE for that lot on a 1000W PSU...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

It OCP'd an 800W EVGA PSU on multiple occasions... so probably somewhere in that ballpark.

I have 7 slots sitting idle...

DAYM OK BRO! My record is about 600W but with a hefty OC that wasn't helpful for F@H

Maybe consider a quick adventure over to the BOINC guys but leave the FAH client running. As sonn as you get FAH work you can disable the according BOINC slot. 

Just now, Kilrah said:

Back when I had the 5960X and 2 970s I was at 860W so NOPE for that lot on a 1000W PSU.

It seems to run fine... for the most part...

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Welcome to the fight all new folders!

Rest assured folders new and old that your machines will get and send work units on their own the servers are just a little busy with all the new people coming online which is a great problem to have.

I have had 3 different machines folding over the past 24 hours and all have had interruptions in sending and receiving work units that can take minutes to hours, in all cases work unit processing has resumed on it's own without re-installs, changing settings etc.

Thanks for folding and hang in there, soon your homes and offices will be toasty warm with work units, while helping fight the virus.

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

Just now, Kilrah said:

Back when I had the 5960X and 2 970s I was at 860W so NOPE for that lot on a 1000W PSU.

thats a whole lotta power consumption from the CPU, my 2x 970's seem to draw around 300w total so 150 each. My CPU draw is around 150w....

Maybe consider a quick adventure over to the BOINC guys but. leave the FAH client running. As sonn as you get FAH work you can disable the according. BOINC slot. 

Possibly, but I could do with not stressing the fuse/breaker box if at all possible until I have too.

Plus I cant be babysitting the things all that much atm.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Warlock5822 said:

thats a whole lotta power consumption from the CPU, my 2x 970's seem to draw around 300w total so 150 each. My CPU draw is around 150w....

With the overclock I have I'm at 280W peak on the CPU...

F@H

GPD Win 2