LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

Folding@Home Network Breaks the ExaFLOP Barrier In Fight Against Coronavirus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

1 minute ago, dogwitch said:

Folding@Home Network Breaks the ExaFLOP Barrier In Fight Against Coronavirus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who dat?

1 minute ago, son_of_ottie said:

Who dat?

daddy folding@home.. dat who!

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Just now, Daylus said:

Check us out for today!
https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/aggregate_summary.php?s=

We are literally second to "Default" right now. LOL

image.png.4231753d7433462aeec8561d97935049.png

We are actually massively outperforming default 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Ok, so I've got it all set up and I'm doing what I can for the cause, but I only have GeForce 610M GPU, honestly I'd almost rather say I have an APU than admit my computer is that crappy, but hey, we'll see if it can do anything without killing my computer 

Case: Lian Li Lancool II-X | MB: Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC | CPU: i9-10900k Gold Sample | Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360 Illusion | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) | GPU: MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3x OC | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 W 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB & Seagate Barracuda 4 TB 3.5" | Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q, Samsung Odyssey G5 27.0", and Huion GT-221 Pro | And of course: Northern Lights desk pad

Just now, Jeremy_H said:

Ok, so I've got it all set up and I'm doing what I can for the cause, but I only have GeForce 610M GPU, honestly I'd almost rather say I have an APU than admit my computer is that crappy, but hey, we'll see if it can do anything without killing my computer 

I cracked a window and have a small fan blowing hot air outside...seems to keep my GPU running at full blast relatively cool...

3 hours ago, Zberg said:

Now for some serious first world problems...

My 2080ti keeps getting WU's back to back but I want to finish metro exodus expansion on Ultra graphics with RTX...ill wait until it finishes one more I think

Hmm, I've tried gaming while folding on my RX 5700, and that resulted in my PPD dropping from 900K-950K to about 800k-850k, and my game still held steady above 60fps. But then, I play mostly Minecraft and Don't Starve.

Edited by TH1813254617
Meant to quote a post, failed at doing that. I am not used to typing in forums...

12 minutes ago, TH1813254617 said:

Hmm, I've tried gaming while folding on my RX 5700, and that resulted in my PPD dropping from 900K-950K to about 800k-850k, and my game still held steady above 60fps. But then, I play mostly Minecraft and Don't Starve.

Rx 5700  played witcher 3 on ultra 1080 while folding and although it lowered my ppd, I didnt notice any stuttering.

Out of curiosity, what are your temps? My gpu seems to stay between 72-75c, junction around 85-90c while folding at full power.

19 minutes ago, Jeremy_H said:

Be sure to watch the ETA and the timeout.  Out of curiosity I tried my Ryzen laptop and found the GPU was too slow, it would never complete any units before the timeout which means its of questionable benefit to the project as someone else will already have been re-issued that job before you completed it.

I removed the GPU slot in favour of giving all the thermal/power headroom to the CPU instead, where 8 threads at 2Ghz seems to actually be useful (and impressive for a machine only pulling 26W).

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 minutes ago, steelo said:

Rx 5700  played witcher 3 while folding and although it lowered my ppd, I didnt notice any stuttering.

Out of curiosity, what are your temps?

That's with Folding at home using my GPU, and running 6 Rosetta@home tasks on my CPU.

image.png

5 minutes ago, TH1813254617 said:

That's with Folding at home using my GPU, and running 6 Rosetta@home tasks on my CPU.

image.png

Interesting...wonder why my junction temp is so much hotter when current temp is relatively the same...

12 minutes ago, TH1813254617 said:

I did let it keep folding while I played LOL and SC2.  No issues until the big battle at the end of SC2, then it slowed down.  I am nervous to play a game that takes actual resources.  

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

2 minutes ago, Zberg said:

I did let it keep folding while I played LOL and SC2.  No issues until the big battle at the end of SC2, then it slowed down.  I am nervous to play a game that takes actual resources.  

I tried star trek bridge crew in vr...gpu was fine but cpu temps were in the 80s while simultaneously folding 😳

1 minute ago, steelo said:

Interesting...wonder why my junction temp is so much hotter...

Many, many factors affect temps. I wouldn't surprised in the slightest if the phase of the moon and alignment of the planets had something to do with it. I'm using the Sapphire Pulse RX5700 housed within a Cooler Master MB511 case, which is an airflow optimized case with a mesh front, and I am running quite an aggressive fan cu... Wait, did the Radeon Software reset my fan curve again?! God !#@%ing dammit!

Never-mind, turns out that was with the stock fan curve, that explains the lack of fan noise from my GPU. What version of the 5700 are you running?

2 minutes ago, TH1813254617 said:

Many, many factors affect temps. I wouldn't surprised in the slightest if the phase of the moon and alignment of the planets had something to do with it. I'm using the Sapphire Pulse RX5700 housed within a Cooler Master MB511 case, which is an airflow optimized case with a mesh front, and I am running quite an aggressive fan cu... Wait, did the Radeon Software reset my fan curve again?! God !#@%ing dammit!

Never-mind, turns out that was with the stock fan curve, that explains the lack of fan noise from my GPU. What version of the 5700 are you running?

Very true...Im using a xfx rx5700 and a vivo smart case running 2 inlet fans and 1 exhaust. I have the same issues with amd settings reverting to the stock fan curve...very annoying!

Joining the fun. Running a small cluster of g4dn.xlarge instances in AWS, all containerized, in the ECS service. The cluster is set up to use spot market instances and halt them if the market price goes too high. G4 instances have NVIDA T4 GPUs. In the short time it's been running, the cluster is entirely bottlenecked by waiting for work units but I'm sure that will eventually sort itself out. Happy to share a config and samples if helpful to anyone.

1 hour ago, Zberg said:

So if i have a system with an NV link bridge itll only see 1 gpu?  it wont use them individually? 

It'll use both, Nvidia drivers have profiles in them for applications and FAH is set to not use SLI and so CUDA tasks will run independently on each GPU.

Have 2 pc's running full time. I do wish I had more...lol. my wife also has a macbook air with a 1.4ghz i5, I think...probably worthless for folding

Okay, second day for me to use FAH, started it and start Folding but after 1 and half hour nothing shows a sign of progress..... Now I know servers must be busy and such but one should expect something to display on screen right!? I can press the Stop Folding button and Start again but I doubt that gives the result I was hoping for...