LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

1 minute ago, minibois said:

So just confirm your folding name is correct and fold as much as possible (or at least until the minimum requirements of this event, which are listed in the first post of this thread) and you're good.

The minimum requirements are subject to change before the start of the event due to servers issues. The requirements will only ever be REDUCED, never increased, to ensure everyone can meet them. I will most probably look into the server stats in the 24 hours before the event and make the decision then. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Quick question guys. I'm running a laptop with an integrated gtx 1650 max-q and an external gpu box with a 1080ti. I have both gpu's ready with the 1080ti being work queue 00 and the 1650 being 01. Only the 1650 has been getting WU for the past 2 days. Is there a way to prioritize which gpu gets used first? It's not a big problem just curious because my 1080ti can fold in 1/4th the time my 1650 can.

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

You're correctly signed up, see the list here:

Do confirm your folding name is correct (your folding name is the same name as your forum name, correct?)

The badges for the events are handed out 'automatically', as in moderators by hand, gave out the badges for previous events. But you still had to comply by the minimum requirements (x amount of days active, y amount of points, etc.). Keep in mind this event doesn't have a badge associated with it.

So just confirm your folding name is correct and fold as much as possible (or at least until the minimum requirements of this event, which are listed in the first post of this thread) and you're good.

Thanks for the information! I'd assumed (incorrectly) that all events had badges. My b

2 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

The badges are assigned by Mods after the datasheet produces a list of people who qualify. What events have you participated in, I have copies of all past datasheets so can look them up for you. but I  can tell you, it has been checked and doubled checked by 3-5 people each event. We haven't missed anyone yet despite the fact I've had probably 100 people over the last couple years messaging me telling me they most certainly participated. 

Thanks for the response! I was mistaken about the badges - I thought the nov 2018 contest had a badge for participation, for instance. I've been folding nonstop since but don't recall explicitly signing up for events since (terrible memory).

Should I delete my first post? not familiar with the netiquette here.

1 minute ago, chairitable said:

-snip-

By automatically we don't mean the forum does it itself, there is LOTS of manual work that goes into it, just it's automatic for you. 

All events require a sign, how else would we know who you are? (seeing as many people don't have matching forum and folding names.)

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, Akima said:

I've got 20 x headless rigs with Ryzen 3900X sitting not doing anything at the moment due to clients either shutting down or cost-cutting. Just SSHing into them now to install FAH on them and contribute.

10 out of the 20 rigs running and configured.

We've got about 2/3 months worth of runway left until things go south for us. Whilst clients are failing or scaling back operations completely, we might as well go down throwing everything we have at this cause.

240 cores, 480 threads. Lets see what that does!

Only problem now is the WU bottleneck - is there are way to configure the client to check for WU more often? It seems every time it checks and fails, it waits even longer.

Hey Peps.
So, I have just set up the Folding@home client and control on my computers.
On windows it works right out of the box, have gotten plenty of tasks.
But on my Linux computer, I had have a problem getting it to detect/use my AMD graphic card (Vega 64).
Do anyone know if there are a problem with Vega Graphic cards support on Linux? 😕

Just now, UrbanFreestyle said:

Feeling a bit rubbish contributing 130k ppd but it's the best i can do i think.

All points are good points! Fold away man!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Tacoz said:

Hey Peps.
So, I have just set up the Folding@home client and control on my computers.
On windows it works right out of the box, have gotten plenty of tasks.
But on my Linux computer, I had have a problem getting it to detect/use my AMD graphic card (Vega 64).
Do anyone know if there are a problem with Vega Graphic cards support on Linux? 😕

Did you install OpenCL?

Also: which distro and version?

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

All points are good points! Fold away man!

Thanks. I lost a load of hrs at work so had to sell my gaming rig but using my spares built together.

1 minute ago, SCSI15 said:

we moved up to 4th overall from 6th!!

Urm... No we didn't...

image.png.e1467d334eebfe0a1cd6892e79f423ef.png

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, Akima said:

10 out of the 20 rigs running and configured.

We've got about 2/3 months worth of runway left until things go south for us. Whilst clients are failing or scaling back operations completely, we might as well go down throwing everything we have at this cause.

240 cores, 480 threads. Lets see what that does!

Only problem now is the WU bottleneck - is there are way to configure the client to check for WU more often? It seems every time it checks and fails, it waits even longer.

It does slowly increment the time between pings - a smart design choice on their end because having so many hundreds of thousands of users constantly asking for work would continuously overwhelm their systems to the point of nobody being able to get WUs. I would recommend being patient, especially sitting on so many machines. That said, the times do get a tad bit crazy after 20 attempts  - at that point you're looking at 1hr or more of idle time before another request is sent, usually around that time I will pause all slots and restart them, which resets the timer but not the attempts.

5 minutes ago, ZaphodB said:

Did you install OpenCL?

Also: which distro and version?

@ZaphodB

I had missed OpenCL was needed. Installing now.
Distro is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, with kernel
5.3.0-42-generic.

5 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Urm... No we didn't...

image.png.e1467d334eebfe0a1cd6892e79f423ef.png

How come this page shows differently?

image.thumb.png.2a8cd03acab09c308e27a98f4962185a.png

Just now, SCSI15 said:

How come this page shows differently?

image.thumb.png.2a8cd03acab09c308e27a98f4962185a.png

That is talking about production for MARCH! Not overall. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Got my Password yesterday and am now fully in this folding thing. Because I live in Florida and the AC is broken I'm running on light mode. However, when it is fixed I'll contribute all the power my desktops i9 has to offer.

2 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

That is talking about production for MARCH! Not overall. 

I realized my mistake after I posted that, I'll keep my mouth shut

Just now, SCSI15 said:

I realized my mistake I posted that, I'll keep my mouth shut

No don't worry about it, I dont mean anything bad by it. Nice to know we are in 4th for the month so far!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Tacoz said:

@ZaphodB

I had missed OpenCL was needed. Installing now.
Distro is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, with kernel
5.3.0-42-generic.

Might also want to leave one CPU core free to manage any GPU workloads, I'm on 18.04 as well though with Nvidia. Can do that by configuring the existing CPU slot and telling it how many cores to use. 

Was that an Nvidia problem though? 

YES!!!!

Folding on 7/7 slots!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

@Crabbular

Well I was trying to get it to use all my cores, but for some reason it do not want to. So there are one core left for firefox. xD

2 minutes ago, Crabbular said:

Might also want to leave one CPU core free to manage any GPU workloads, I'm on 18.04 as well though with Nvidia. Can do that by configuring the existing CPU slot and telling it how many cores to use. 

Was that an Nvidia problem though? 

Do I need to do this for Windows as well or only for Linux based machines?

1 minute ago, SCSI15 said:

Do I need to do this for Windows as well or only for Linux based machines?

I don't think I experienced this under Windows, it might be something with OpenCL.

Does it run on OpenGL on Windows?