LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

2 minutes ago, Damienrj said:

@Memorexxx

If you use the advance control (right click on the icon in the system tray you will see the option), then you can configure the slots. For example, the default for the cpu is -1 so it uses all the cores.

I mean how do i get the WU for both CPU and GPU

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

i'll just fold under the team without signing up ,_, electricity's expensive here, so I'll probably fold for about 2-8 hours per week

(also the CPU hits 90c when folding on medium, and I don't feel comfortable to keep that kettle running for 8 hours straight)

you can pause or remove the CPU from the fold. and just use your GPU. 

First time doing this!. How long does it take for a pass key to be emailed through? 

i have few computers running. only 1 of them has been able to get CPU Project. 

Joining In for a folding fight... Last Night couldn't found the correct info on, but now I am here!

I am bringing to the fight is a 8700k (downclocked), and a Zotac 1080 mini at the moment...

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

what CPUs are in them? I caught one when i was monitoring

few Xeon Servers. Few i5 and i7. intel Nucs Dell small Form factor. my main laptop is folding fine both CPU and GPU on Covid 19 

23 minutes ago, Welshdylan said:

First time doing this!. How long does it take for a pass key to be emailed through? 

Servers have been slow. Some have been reporting several hours before they get them.

Cheers from the Border

On 3/13/2020 at 4:07 PM, Beerzerker said:

I hope you guys kick some Corona ass with this, I'm doing my part on that right now and will probrably let the machine run for awhile today. It's my daily so I can't let it run all the time but I can throw in anyway towards that end.

@Elektra57 You want to use a GPU instead of a CPU for folding.

The guys here can help you with getting it going that way if they need to. Just remove the CPU slot and create a GPU slot - That's really it and you'll be folding in no time.

There are CPU projects for Covid tho? So why should people to remove CPU slot?hsyea8wy.png (1920×937)

LTT Discord | Floatplane

Current PC: 

i5-6600k@4.3Ghz OC

16GB DDR3-1600Mhz

Nvidea GTX 1050Ti

About 5GB or less left on C:, which is 250GB. Total storage around 2.5TB

2 monitors 1080p@60hz

1 minute ago, GameMaster2030 said:

There are CPU projects for Covid tho? So why should people to remove CPU slot?

Because usually CPU folding is ineffective for the cost

unless you are me and don't have a dgpu

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

1 hour ago, Memorexxx said:

I mean how do i get the WU for both CPU and GPU

If you JUST do the GPU and you are wondering why nothing is happening, it's because the servers are slammed and they are trying to get Work Units sent out ASAP. Apparently it's harder to get the units out for the GPU's rather than CPU's, so that's why the CPU instantly starts folding.

8 minutes ago, GameMaster2030 said:

There are CPU projects for Covid tho? So why should people to remove CPU slot?

Becasue if you've got a good GPU the work the CPU can contribute is basically negligible (but it uses as much power as the GPU to achieve that...)

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, vile1 said:

If you JUST do the GPU and you are wondering why nothing is happening, it's because the servers are slammed and they are trying to get Work Units sent out ASAP. Apparently it's harder to get the units out for the GPU's rather than CPU's, so that's why the CPU instantly starts folding.

Ya. The GPUs are getting WUs but not my CPU's. they are in "Ready" mode. i guess the Servers are slammed and i have to wait for the WUs for CPUs. gonna go grab my old GPUs out of the closet and install them.

It's not a good idea to swamp the CPU anyway, the GPU needs it to feed data. Here's what it looks like with just GPU folding and nothing else going on in the system

image.png.5b8473465399442203e0d50f21f987fb.png

You should, at the very least, not fold on all threads

Startes folding today too 🙂 I have Quadro P3000. Estimated PPD 262395 . GPU is sitting on 50% utilisation. Is there some way to make it use all GPU ? I have set it to FULL. 

Edit : it is running on 100% according to GPU-Z . Just windows task manager is sensing it wrong. 

1 minute ago, Yebi said:

It's not a good idea to swamp the CPU anyway, the GPU needs it to feed data. Here's what it looks like with just GPU folding and nothing else going on in the system

image.png.5b8473465399442203e0d50f21f987fb.png

the FAH Control will leave out the Cores needed for the GPU. like my i7 is 8 core but the Control only put 7, leaving 1 core for the GPU to use. If you have 2 GPU's it will leave 2 CPU cores, 1 for each GPU

Anyone know if i can Remote control FAHcontroller over the net? I have them running on some Work Server. would like to control them from the one installed on my comp.

Is there any possibility to choose which projects Do I want to work ON? Currently I am Folding in the Any Category but want to purpusly fight against Covid-19 projects.

4 minutes ago, Bluefoenix said:

Is there any possibility to choose which projects Do I want to work ON? Currently I am Folding in the Any Category but want to purpusly fight against Covid-19 projects.

Yes thats how Folding at home letter said to leave it at "Any" Covid-19 WUs are prioritized atm. 

Hi, haven't run this on a computer since around 2002, when things where a little different hardware wise...

Would anyone be able to answer a couple of questions?

1) when i run fah it seems to choose either gpu or cpu, never both at the same time... - is this wu related? i.e. are some workloads simply not worth running on the CPU and vices versa?

2) how can I manually swith between GPU and CPU usage? (yesterday I was doing other CPU heavy work so GPU made sense to fold on, today I'm doing stuff in unreal so CPU will be better for me to fold on during work hours.

3) if the GPU / CPU choice is down to workload then what is the covid-19  workload cpu / gpu or agnostic?

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Darkjacky said:

Funny that you say that, I was actually seeing weirdness on my 3900x when running 24t. I went into task manager and turned off 4 and that went away. So I think you might be correct here.

8 hours ago, Darkjacky said:

It was using 87% cpu and task manager showed non of them were doing 100% they were all doing this up and down thing at 80-95%. When I disabled 4 cores that usage went to 100% on every selected thread.

8 hours ago, thomas2000 said:

I'm just a noob here, but I've read that thread numbers divisible by prime numbers higher than 5 are problematic (no higher than 3 is supposed to be optimal). 21 = 7 * 3, so try running 20t CPU and see if this magically helps

Yeha chose the highest thread number that works for you! But as I mentioned previously. When folding on Ryzen make SURE TO:
1. Install chipset drivers. The NEWEST ones form AMDs website, not your Mobos website

2. Install newest GPU drivers, also from team green/reds website directly

3. have Windows up to date

4. Try disabling CPU folding, see how your usage on the GPU is. For this use task manager and switch one. of the GPU graphs to Compute (1,2,3 you have to see wich it is)

5. Enable CPU folding leaving one core  (2 threads in Windows) open for the GPU slot. Maybe leave one more core open for Windows background stuff.

6. Compare your GPU usage and gradually reduce CPU thread count untill you reach the same GPU usage as without CPU folding.

-> Dont bottleneck your GPU with a pegged CPU

Better solution: Get Linux. We have some good tutorials on here on how to install the green and red driver. Although untill now I was not able to get my AMD GPUs working on Ubuntu. Will try again tomorrow.... I mean I have some time at my hands now :S

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Just now, Memorexxx said:

Yes thats how Folding at home letter said to leave it at "Any" Covid-19 WUs are prioritized atm. 

Thnx for the information. Then everything will be left as is.

Just now, _t_r_w said:

Hi, haven't run this on a computer since around 2002, when things where a little different hardware wise...

Would anyone be able to answer a couple of questions?

1) when i run fah it seems to choose either gpu or cpu, never both at the same time... - is this wu related? i.e. are some workloads simply not worth running on the CPU and vices versa?

2) how can I manually swith between GPU and CPU usage? (yesterday I was doing other CPU heavy work so GPU made sense to fold on, today I'm doing stuff in unreal so CPU will be better for me to fold on during work hours.

3) if the GPU / CPU choice is down to workload then what is the covid-19  workload cpu / gpu or agnostic?

Thanks!

Absolutely! Glad to see you back donating some POWAHH!

1) They are different workloads, but your system should be able to both at a time. Please share your system specs and maybe a log file

2) In the advanced client there are options to disable one slot but leave the other running. A slot being CPU or GPU

3) Both. GPU is already out and CPU is being worked on. See here: https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=32463 question 6.

24 minutes ago, Yebi said:

-snip-

I had the same problem.... refer to my steps posted above to get the most out of it! If you want to and have the time try Linux. That has much bette resource usage due to the thread scheduler being waaaaay better and more optimized for high core count CPUs compared to Windows 

Sorry guys but I have to go littlebit off topic...
When I stress the GPU my Monitor has a low pitch whining noise... And currently folding it Drives me Crazy...
What can I do? GPU is a Zotac 1080 mini, Monitor is an ASUS VH242 (oldy but a goody) and the connection is made by a DVI cable.
What could do this? How can I make it stop... Everything is on Mute.