LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

In the client webpage I'm getting the following under my GPU but I'm 93% complete.

0 (0, 0, 0)        0.00 secs     0

Work Unit (PRCG)   Work Unit (ETA)    Estimated Points

Desktop: Project 2019

Ryzen 5 2600|2x8gb Vegeance LPX|ASRock B40M Pro4

Sapphire NITRO+ RX 570 8 GB|be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600w

AData 240gb SSD

Laptop: Asus TUF Gaming F15

Core i5 - 11400H|16gb RAM|512GB M.2 SSD

Nvidia RTX 3050 4GB

Retro Tech stuff.

Atari 540 STE|IBM Thinkpad 760ED

9 minutes ago, Aerandir14 said:

Hi guys,

When folding, my GPU usage sometimes drops to 0% for a short lapse of time.

image.png.a925433cf3aeead6f99233d8c8aa5f95.png

Did anybody notice the same behavior?

MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X UV @ 1873 MHz @ 0,9V + 6700K OC @ 4,7 GHz @ 1.37V

CPU and GPU under custom WC

Thanks !

Yes, same here. I cannot explain why this happens and whether it is intended but I guess it's like that for everyone. GPU seems to "take a short breath" every once in a while.

It's normal, every X minutes (configurable in the advanced settings for some loads, but others use their own) the work pauses to save its state to allow for recovery in case of a crash.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

It's normal, every X minutes (configurable in the advanced settings for some loads, but others use their own) the work pauses to save its state to allow for recovery in case of a crash.

I just set configure-->advanced-->checkpoint frequency to max (30 minutes), to see what happens.

17 minutes ago, Aerandir14 said:

Hi guys,

Thanks !

Every GPU I've ever folded on has done this (old or brand new), so I assume it's completely normal  💁‍♂️

For anyone interested, there is a WORKING FAH Viewer linked in the github i found an executable that someone compiled here:

https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-issues/issues/1283
https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-issues/files/4364298/FAHViewer-091713f412-windows-x86_64.zip

Apparently this has been fixed for a while now, but they never pushed a release.

Now you can watch something besides the "demo" mode, enjoy

18 minutes ago, Aerandir14 said:

Hi guys,

Thanks !

Not sure what the time scale is on that graph, but the only thing I can think of that it might be is when it saves a checkpoint. Default is every 15 minutes.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Dusting off this account to throw my hat in the ring. I've noticed that when I get work units, I typically get both GPU and CPU units simultaneously. Guess they're throwing them up in batches, and first to refresh gets first pick.

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Not sure what the time scale is on that graph, but the only thing I can think of that it might be is when it saves a checkpoint. Default is every 15 minutes.

WUs are broken down into chunks and it take second between chunks to fire up the next part. It's more noticeable on core 21 WUs in my experience 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, Delusibeta said:

Dusting off this account to throw my hat in the ring. I've noticed that when I get work units, I typically get both GPU and CPU units simultaneously. Guess they're throwing them up in batches, and first to refresh gets first pick.

That's correct. WUs are dashed out in waves.

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Just noticed it's every 5 minutes for me. checkpoint interval set to 30 minutes. GPU WU on FahCore 22 currently.

image.png.0e09719ba66f03bb894c1166d36c0910.png

Looks like i got bigger one 10h folding this one :"D Still 2h left!

Hi, I want to help, but probably need help first :)

I cannot see CPU and GPU run in parallel. Is this by default? Or is there not WUs? Or do I need to set up something specific to utilize whole power of my system?

Thanks for answer.

image.thumb.png.009d6a83df4a1236dbe61149927b7610.png

4 minutes ago, milki_sk said:

Hi, I want to help, but probably need help first :)

I cannot see CPU and GPU run in parallel. Is this by default? Or is there not WUs? Or do I need to set up something specific to utilize whole power of my system?

That is by design. Projects are either GPU or CPU, COVID ones mostly using the newest folding cores (21 and 22) and optimized for GPUs. GPU and CPU workloads are independant so it's normal that you get one at a time with the servers being overwhelmed. Normally you would get nonstop workloads for both slots but FAH now has 15x the amount of active users since only couple weeks ago.

9 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

Just noticed it's every 5 minutes for me. checkpoint interval set to 30 minutes. GPU WU on FahCore 22 currently.

Yeah as it says in the window some cores don't look at your settings but just use their internal configuration.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

WOOOOOO that github link for the visualiser is working, no replacement of any files needed. Look at my RTX simulating proteins attacking a giant bee swarm! (atleast that's what I understand from what I see XD)

folding GPU visualisation.PNG

EDIT: Leaving the viewer open seems to cut performance by 25 % so not recommended.

9 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Yeah as it says in the window some cores don't look at your settings but just use their internal configuration.

3tozax.jpg.8240aac4d609452f3b2bae505e5921c4.jpg

Hey I am new to all this folding stuff but I'm having a lot of fun reading about it and learning more about the community. I was wondering though if there was a point system so you can know if you're getting really good numbers or just okay numbers.

58 minutes ago, Andrew55 said:

Having problems with passkey,its about 2 hours and no passkey,i folded first one :) Much love from Lithuania :)

I've heard several people saying they didn't get a passkey when using a Gmail account, myself included. If you haven't received one for a few hours, maybe try a different email account.

I got 2 full rigs that hang around most the time, figured i dive in and see what happens. 

Let the 3900x do something for once lol

1 minute ago, DaoNayt said:

Why did they not use the CPU in the video?

I think it is because gpu is so much better than then cpus. Also you have to assign core to each nvidia gpu to make sure that the folding program at max performance really well.

1 minute ago, DaoNayt said:

GPU's are far better at folding. Right now I got 3 WU's going: CPU 6 core= 13910pts, 15 cores=3815pts. GPU (1080ti): 98774 pts in shorter time than the CPU WU's. So in that context it doesn't make much sense trying to fold on the CPU, if you got 6 Volta's crunching away.

4 minutes ago, DaoNayt said:

They tried but didn't get work units for all slots like pretty much everyone because Folding servers overloaded.

Hey my Folding@home is glitching out. It keeps reloading the page and will not fold. Does anybody have a solution? Thx!

Just now, Daniel_SC said:

GPU's are far better at folding. Right now I got 3 WU's going: CPU 6 core= 13910pts, 15 cores=3815pts. GPU (1080ti): 98774 pts in shorter time than the CPU WU's. So in that context it doesn't make much sense trying to fold on the CPU, if you got 6 Volta's crunching away.

So is it even worth using my 3950x for folding? I really have no clue.

Still Waiiting on my WUs 🙂

Setup:

Intel® Core™ i7-6950X @ 4GHz

Asus X99 Strix

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133

Asus Strix GTX 1070 O8G Gaming 8GB @ 2GHz

Corsair H100i v2 AiO

250 GB Samsung 960 Evo

1TB MX 500

1TB WD Blue

2TB WD Blue

NZXT H440 v2 Red / Black