LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

Ah nice, since many miners are subscribed to UFD tech hopefully some of them will swing the other way and lend their GPU mining power for a good cause. ;)

57 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

1650 Super you'll be pulling around 300-450k ppd  (and no point going with the non-super variant if the prices are still as close as they were when I bought mine) (also, my card could potentially be cpu bottlenecked but I'm not sure how that works with folding, or if cpus can even bottleneck GPU performance in this instance).

[GTX 1030?] They made a GTX 1050, the 1030 is only GT. I have one and it's meh. Was the first pascal card I had used so I was happy with it but definitely filled its 2GB frame buffer faster than I'd like. If you go with the GT 1030, please MAKE SURE YOU GET THE GDDR5 version. NVIDIA in all their wisdom made a GDDR4 variant that absolutely sucks moldy toes and is the same price as the GDDR5 variant.

With that said, I would recommend staying away from it (unless you want to buy mine for $50. Just has a little bit of dust on the back from its 2 months of use in my system ;-P) (jk)

Sorry about typo. This machine when I'm done folding with it is going to go to a friend for a Workstation,  I'm giving it to them free of charge when I'm done so I'm trying to make it useful but also spending as little money as possible.

2 minutes ago, Gator_Boy11 said:

I have two different WUs in the sending state. They keep getting the following error:

Failed to connect to 128.252.203.10:80: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

Any ideas beyond just waiting to see if it starts working again? (In the event one or more servers are overloaded)

Nothing you can do on your end, seems like 2 servers are not accepting finished work, guys at F@H are aware of the problem and will likely resolve it soon.

Just now, ShortRouter said:

Nothing you can do on your end, seems like 2 servers are not accepting finished work, guys at F@H are aware of the problem and will likely resolve it soon.

Sounds about right, two different WUs with two different servers... probably the two that are out.

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

That would likely do like 400-500k a day maybe? My gtx 1080 and 6700k @4.6 GHz does about 900k a day.

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=31287

Oh ok thanks! Basically I just wanted a baseline and couldn’t find one anywhere to know how I was doing compared to others. There is just a team total of 119 billion and so my 3 million/day seemed like nothing compared to that.

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

8 hours ago, AfonsoJR said:

image.png.4e01c43a932e5cd02e9dc2f7e1eea91d.png

My RX 5700 XT keeps crashing on a lot of games, but at least it will contribute to COVID-19

Aaaaaand I crashed... If anyone knows how to solve this 5700 XT crashing, I will send you a virtual giant hug!

Any Linux people that can explain what I'm missing? 

3 minutes ago, AfonsoJR said:

Aaaaaand I crashed... If anyone knows how to solve this 5700 XT crashing, I will send you a virtual giant hug!

Was the 5700 one of the cards that got BIOS updated at the last minute? If that was that card, its possible yours can't actually run at the new speeds... Most cards can, but its not a guarantee, AMD really screwed that all up.

Either way, sounds like a GPU issue since it crashes in games as well. If the 5700 isn't the card I am thinking of, it could just be a bad card. Or... what PSU do you have?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

3 minutes ago, AfonsoJR said:

I've been using a Red Devil 5700XT for a while with minimal issues. I've had one crash when away and folding but it's been fine since. What is happening for the crash? Are all the settings stock in Adrenaline?

I think I am going to revive Project Steamroller (see link in my signature). Still going over numbers but, if the wife "allows" me I will move forward with it.

This would be a good time to do it but unfortunately it be to late to get it up and running before this folding event though. Time to order+shipping+setup = about month or so from nowish.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Most recent update, out performing PCMR by 10M in the last 3 hours!

image.thumb.png.f3fdc9b9167ef632d09cecc14450ffa2.png

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

When folding my CPU reaches 71 degrees. Can it comfortably fold at that temp or do I need to invest in a better cooler so my PC doesn't blow up?

3 minutes ago, Excalibur20 said:

When folding my CPU reaches 71 degrees. Can it comfortably fold at that temp or do I need to invest in a better cooler so my PC doesn't blow up?

What CPU?

I've been using the Riotoro 120mm AIO for a couple months with good results (once I had it mounted properly). During folding, gaming, or both my temps on CPU peak at 36C (96F). 

4 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

What CPU?

I've been using the Riotoro 120mm AIO for a couple months with good results (once I had it mounted properly). During folding, gaming, or both my temps on CPU peak at 36C (96F). 

Ryzen 7 1800x

Damn has this blown up.

I'm trying to put my Ryzen 3600, the 290X that @iamdarkyoshi kindly threw at me and a 280X to work...

(I have a feeling that a 650Ti and a 7800GT wouldn't be very effective.)

Sadly, like everyone else, I'm having trouble getting GPU work.

20_03_22_yeet_04_02_38.png

Sig under construction.

Just now, Excalibur20 said:

Ryzen 7 1800x

Probably fine then 🙂

Sig under construction.

1 minute ago, Tedster said:

Probably fine then 🙂

I probably should have mentioned 71 Celsius. If that makes a difference.

Just now, Excalibur20 said:

71F would be super super cool 🙂

Sig under construction.

2 minutes ago, Excalibur20 said:

Ryzen 7 1800x

The chip would be fine, your socket could not like that temp as much but I doubt it will do serious harm (Being a modern chip, it's TJmaxx is 100C so you're a considerable amount away.)

I do still recommend the AIO above. For your chip it ought to keep it around ambient (when not under load my cpu will drop to 7C) (I'm using a FX-4350 ocd to 4.5GHz with PLENTY of thermal headroom, if only I had a better board)

5 minutes ago, Excalibur20 said:

If you're folding and getting 71F (20C or so?) during folding, I need to get some of that secret sauce you're using lmfao!

Edited by LordKitsune
I'm dumb

Just now, LordKitsune said:

If you're folding and getting during 71F (20C or so?), I need to get some of that secret sauce you're using lmfao!

Mystery Goo!

(bad KSP reference)

Sig under construction.

Putting Foldy Puff Sr to sleep in a couple hours to lap the CPU heat sink base for better IHS contact tomorrow, then I hope to have it up and running with OC Vega 56 and a stock 2700X at reasonable temps. We'll see...

Foldy Puff Jr will continue folding the whole time as long as it's getting WU's down and up.