LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

1 minute ago, Xsilent(X) said:

You should stop the CPU unit to get more PPD.

As long as you have a few spare CPU cores it doesn't affect the GPU output

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

just tried to set up fold at home on my old linux laptop with a nivida 660m graphic prossessor in it, but when i log into the web interface only the cpu is listed. tried reinstalling fold at home and restarting the laptop. no luck. is the 660m not supported?

2 minutes ago, Xsilent(X) said:

Marrying you? No thanks i am occupied at the moment... :)

Heh always worth a try right?

But seriously it's good to have you back on board

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

@DESTROYER17 ^

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Daily Production History For Egg-Roll

Oh look I crashed...

18:46:37:ERROR:WU01:FS02:Exception: Could not get IP address for assign1.foldingathome.org: No such host is known. 
18:46:37:ERROR:WU01:FS02:Exception: Could not get IP address for assign2.foldingathome.org: No such host is known. 
18:46:37:WARNING:WU01:FS02:Exception: Failed to find any IP addresses for assignment servers
18:46:37:ERROR:WU01:FS02:Exception: Could not get an assignment
18:46:40:ERROR:Receive error: 10053: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.
18:48:03:ERROR:WU01:FS02:Exception: Could not get IP address for assign1.foldingathome.org: No such host is known. 
18:48:03:ERROR:WU01:FS02:Exception: Could not get IP address for assign2.foldingathome.org: No such host is known. 
18:48:03:WARNING:WU01:FS02:Exception: Failed to find any IP addresses for assignment servers
18:48:03:ERROR:WU01:FS02:Exception: Could not get an assignment

🤔

Due to the extreme number of messages I have received asking to confirm entry I will no longer be doing this on an individual basis. 

A new updated list will be posted in the next 24 hours on the blog, please wait until the list has been posted to confirm your entry to the event!

Thank you for your understanding,

spec.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

We have now passed 3100 sign ups!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Maybe a total noob question, but how do I select covid-19 as project to work on in the (advanced) interface? I don't see it in my "cause preference" drop-down menu.

1 minute ago, alcadots said:

Maybe a total noob question, but how do I select covid-19 as project to work on in the (advanced) interface? I don't see it in my "cause preference" drop-down menu.

Select Any, and they're prioritised, but you can still get others. Either way it all helps.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

1 minute ago, alcadots said:

Any cause is the current setting to get COVID projects, they haven't set up a specific option in the drop down. You may not ALWAYS get COVID related projects, but everything helps until you do

39 minutes ago, Xsilent(X) said:

You should stop the CPU unit to get more PPD.

It's currently not getting any work assigned sadly.

40 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Yes, exactly. It's a 8 core cpu so I assigned 12 threads. Do you think 2 Spare cpu cores is enough?

Thanks for the advice.

Just now, DESTROYER17 said:

It's currently not getting any work assigned sadly.

Yes, exactly. It's a 8 core cpu so I assigned 12 threads. Do you think 2 Spare cpu cores is enough?

Thanks for the advice.

Honestly 2 threads is usually enough, but more is better if you use the machine. Om mine I have 8 threads free as it's my daily driver. 

That is the system in my sig, not FOLDATRON

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Honestly 2 threads is usually enough, but more is better if you use the machine. Om mine I have 8 threads free as it's my daily driver. 

That is the system in my sig, not FOLDATRON

Ok, great. It's my daily driver as well, so when it gets work assigned eventually I might take out an extra few threads.

1 minute ago, DESTROYER17 said:

Ok, great. It's my daily driver as well, so when it gets work assigned eventually I might take out an extra few threads.

Just see how you get on with it

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 hours ago, ShortRouter said:

If you click on the GPU tab, you will see the GPU PPD, more info in the advanced settings in the FAH control (accessible through the system tray icon). You will need a passkey and 10 completed WUs to start gaining the big points. Read Folding FAQ pages and pinned posts in this forum section.

Thanks for all the replies, I see the error of my ways and the daily looks better now, though like most everyone the uptake of completed work is lagging.  Also found the advanced control panel and read the FAQs and have bit more understanding as well so hopefully I'm good to go from here out.

8 minutes ago, DESTROYER17 said:

You should do it in advance, changing the number of threads while running can either be ineffective or cause the WU to fail.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

are the points a proxy for importance? My gpu seems to get 33x more points per time than my cpu. Seems kind of useless to burn all that power for so little gain.

2 minutes ago, alcadots said:

are the points a proxy for importance? My gpu seems to get 33x more points per time than my cpu. Seems kind of useless to burn all that power for so little gain.

Using a CPU to fold is not efficient, the software is better optimized for your GPU.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, ShortRouter said:

Well 128.252.203.2 server won't accept finished WU. 11 attemps already.

I had to dump one yesterday, was over 47 attempts, and for some reason the system refused to look for new WU's after it failed to send.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Is there a good guide to set up remote monitoring of Linux systems? I think it can be done in the advanced client, but can't figure it out

2 minutes ago, j0hn0b said:

Is there a good guide to set up remote monitoring of Linux systems? I think it can be done in the advanced client, but can't figure it out

@Gorgon has a couple guides, give me a min and I'll fetch them 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240