LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

1 minute ago, VecnaX said:

when i click on the web controle it just gives a flickering screen

Read the blue bar at the top of the page

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Jordan Johnson-Verburg said:

Oh okay thanks!  I'll have to figure out the F@H then.  I've been using Boinc for years but want to help with the LTT team too.

In my opinion, you will find configuring F@H much easier than BOINC. At least that was my experience... However, both were quite easy after 2-3 days of meddling and figuring things out

48 minutes ago, RestlessRancor said:

Good morning everyone!

I restart my PC every morning to give it a fresh boot (this proably doesn't do anything and is just a habit) and I noticed something.

In the log in the config it has:

<!-- Folding Core -->
<core-priority v='low'/>

Is this something I should (and can) be changing (to 'high' for example) - will that make any difference?

Thanks

Well, I haven't had any difference in PPD myself, but you can try running at High priority (you can easily change that in configuration).

That being said, DO NOT, and I repeat myself, DO NOT run High priority if you are gonna use ALL CPU CORES. You will probably find yourself with unusable or frozen Win10 and you will have to manually restart whole PC.

50 minutes ago, RestlessRancor said:
12 hours ago, Valentyn said:

Issue is, are people actually going to close the pubs?

Borris said in his press conference (and was asked) and he said he's confident the public will listen to their instruction, but if they need to they can and will strictly enforce it via licensing etc.

As of today, all malls, restaurants, pubs and cinemas should be closed in Serbia. Restaurants are however allowed to do take-out.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

Try Firefox.

for me, I have the same problem on current Google Chrome, but not on current Mozilla Firefox, so I just use Firefox

Ryzen9 3950X | ROG Strix X570-E Gaming | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 | Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT Gaming OC 8GB | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, WD RED 3TB | Seasonic Focus DX 750W | NZXT Kraken X72 with Noctua NF-A12x25 | NZXT H700

Hey, happy to be putting my first build to a good use. I have what is maybe a dumb question but I am looking at upgrading my GPU, what I am wondering is if i can take my current one, bump it down a slot and fold with both of them at once, I know they can't run in SLI but will it still work? Just to get a little more power on the project.

1 minute ago, Tsuga said:

for me, I have the same problem on current Google Chrome, but not on current Mozilla Firefox, so I just use Firefox

Nice i loaded it in internet explorer and it works now thanks

3 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

Try Firefox.

3 minutes ago, Kealight said:

what I am wondering is if i can take my current one, bump it down a slot and fold with both of them at once, I know they can't run in SLI but will it still work? Just to get a little more power on the project.

Yes.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kealight said:

Hey, happy to be putting my first build to a good use. I have what is maybe a dumb question but I am looking at upgrading my GPU, what I am wondering is if i can take my current one, bump it down a slot and fold with both of them at once, I know they can't run in SLI but will it still work? Just to get a little more power on the project.

do it!!

https://foldingathome.org/faqs/gpu2-common/frequently-asked-questions-common-ati-nvidia-gpu2-clients-2/multi-gpu-support/

14 minutes ago, VecnaX said:

Hi, this is an issue with Google Chrome (and I have noticed Chromium Edge too). To fix this you can open the web control in an incognito window, or use a different browser.

12 minutes ago, Favebook said:

Well, I haven't had any difference in PPD myself, but you can try running at High priority (you can easily change that in configuration).

That being said, DO NOT, and I repeat myself, DO NOT run High priority if you are gonna use ALL CPU CORES. You will probably find yourself with unusable or frozen Win10 and you will have to manually restart whole PC.

As of today, all malls, restaurants, pubs and cinemas should be closed in Serbia. Restaurants are however allowed to do take-out.

I'm not using my CPU to fold, but as there doesn't seem to be a difference in PPD I'll leave it how it is - no point trying to fix something that isn't broken!

9 minutes ago, Kealight said:

It should do, I was able to borrow an old GTX 780 from a friend - it only just fits in my PC, but it was a case of plug and play (or, fold)!

16 minutes ago, NYCDUTCH said:

Trying to convince myself this effort is reason enough to build a folding rig....hmmmmmm

Just be aware that adding new resources to the system is not the idea of decentralized computing. The original idea is to use whatever hardware resources people already have available sitting there not doing much. But if you feel committed to spending lots of cash on hardware and electricity for 24/7 dedicated folding rig then sure why not go for it. But also consider donating money directly to the project e.g. monthly as a good alternative.

1 minute ago, ShortRouter said:

Just be aware that adding new resources to the system is not the idea of decentralized computing. The original idea is to use whatever hardware resources people already have available sitting there not doing much. But if you feel committed to spending lots of cash on hardware and electricity for 24/7 dedicated folding rig then sure why not go for it. But also consider donating money directly to the project e.g. monthly as a good alternative.

Good suggestion. I could do both!

1 hour ago, VecnaX said:

im running the program but its not using my gpu (2080ti) how do i make it use it

If you open the Advanced Control (Right click the F@H icon in the taskbar tray icons and select Advanced Control) does it show the GPU in the list of folding slots? What's it doing?
If you can post a screenshot that might help.

It might just be stuck trying to find an available work unit to download.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

24 minutes ago, VecnaX said:

When the problem reoccurs just open the debugging tool for the browser on F12,

that should result in a cache flush of old resources sticking around, 

or clear the browser cache in another manner :)

1 hour ago, ShortRouter said:

Yes I noticed too. The TFLOPS total is the correct number though, Greg Bowman confirmed it in his tweet. My guess is the 958k is FP16 (half accuracy) performance, what's interesting for us is FP32 (single precision) performance.

Both are single precision, the 958k is adjusted to CPU FLOPS to take into account that GPU's can perform tasks like powers in a single cycle where a CPU would take 2, the actual value compared to Linpack is somewhere between the two.

32 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yes, I read that and saw:

These unfinished work units “expire” and are reassigned to new machines. You will still receive credit for all WUs completed and uploaded prior to the Timeout

Which made me think that WUs uploaded AFTER the Timeout are not credited.

Even so, full credit is given up until the Deadline (formerly Final Deadline).

There is no mention of Deadline in the client, do they mean expiration?  Also, why even have the previous statement if WUs uploaded AFTER the timeout are still credit after all?  Its very confusing.

They mixed those words a lot. Expiration is Deadline.

They have that statement in order to clarify how points are calculated and why it is important to do WUs before Timeout.

21 minutes ago, RestlessRancor said:

I'm not using my CPU to fold, but as there doesn't seem to be a difference in PPD I'll leave it how it is - no point trying to fix something that isn't broken!

Then you can leave it on High. However, I am not sure how will it go along if you are gaming and folding in same time (haven't tried).

However, I do have two systems which are used ONLY for folding and they have that setting on High.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

So out of curiosity, how come the GPU tasks are worth so much more points wise ?

Is it a supply/demand thing or GPUs are doing more important/prioritised tasks or doing it more efficiently ?

Doesn't really matter just wondering why they both crunch away for an hour and the GPU seems to get like 10x the points.

Anyway, back at it, last time I dabbled in folding was my old Pentium 4 rig.

Just now, artuc said:

So out of curiosity, how come the GPU tasks are worth so much more points wise ?

Is it a supply/demand thing or GPUs are doing more important/prioritised tasks or doing it more efficiently ?

Doesn't really matter just wondering why they both crunch away for an hour and the GPU seems to get like 10x the points.

Anyway, back at it, last time I dabbled in folding was my old Pentium 4 rig.

In layman's terms, GPU's can perform tasks like powers and vector calculations in a single cycle which allows it to run simulations significantly faster than CPU's, especially when things like protein folding involve lots of simulataneous math, which GPU's are good at because they have so many cores.

4 minutes ago, Favebook said:

Then you can leave it on High. However, I am not sure how will it go along if you are gaming and folding in same time (haven't tried).

However, I do have two systems which are used ONLY for folding and they have that setting on High.

My folding PC is literally just for folding, I game and do everything else on my laptop.

I think I'm missing how to set them as high, I don't see any option, is it in the 'Expert' tab (do I need to add an option?)

Thanks

7 minutes ago, RestlessRancor said:

My folding PC is literally just for folding, I game and do everything else on my laptop.

I think I'm missing how to set them as high, I don't see any option, is it in the 'Expert' tab (do I need to add an option?)

Thanks

He meant setting the Folding Power slider to "Full". That will use full GPU and CPU power even when not in idle.

Just now, ShortRouter said:

He meant setting the Folding Power slider to "Full".

Oh I see, yes that's on full :)

Increasing priority will do nothing but make your PC unusable for other stuff. Even on lowest priority it'll use all the available power, just that normal tasks are higher priority so they can actually be run reasonably well.

The only other option is still low anyway, just not lowest:

image.png.a24ef02cf75dc1d7cfb2280bc6dd5fc2.png

F@H

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Increasing priority will do nothing but make your PC unusable for other stuff. Even on lowest priority it'll use all the available power, just that normal tasks are higher priority so they can actually be run reasonably well.

The only other option is still low, just not lowest anyway:

Gotcha, thanks. I have it on 'slightly higher' as that's all the PC is doing.

25 minutes ago, artuc said:

Just becasue a GPU is hugely faster at processing these kinds of workloads.

Exactly like the reason we have GPUs at all is because the CPU is orders of magnitude less efficient at doing the computations needed for 3D graphics.

F@H

GPD Win 2