Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MacLogical

LTX 2020 (possible) cancellation

45 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

@CPotter

It's clear that since the original post date of this thread, the rapid spread of this virus has been devastating. I think the most responsible thing you can do is to pull tickets from sale and postpone the event until further notice. I know as a company you'll have put a lot of money into this event, but the safety of staff and attendees HAS to come first I'm afraid. 

I've started a StrawPoll on the matter...

https://www.strawpoll.me/19601009

The safety of guests and staff is a priority and we are monitoring the situation as new information is released, when the time comes we will make a decision in regards to postponing or cancelling the event. Canada, like many other countries has put measures in place to help prevent the spread of the virus, but it is still up in the air as to when these precautions and regulations will be lifted. At the time of writing this the regulations (such as bans on large meetings and border closings) do not overlap with the dates of LTX, but given how quickly the situation can change and how far out August is we don't know if those regulations will stil be in effect. Once we are able to make an informed decision we will make a public announcement regarding LTX.

Posted · Original PosterOP

So since there is a current outbreak (as of the posting date), how much does it affect this year's event? If it doesn't get cancelled, will some of the things planned be modified?

https://www.ltxexpo.com/info-regarding-covid19

It will be talked about on the Wan Show tonight. Keep checking the website, forum, and Discord for updates. It has not been cancelled. We all need to think ahppy and positive thoughts. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor Motherboard Asus Tuf B450 Gaming Motherboard RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Gaming OC 3X Video Card Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower White with Tempered glass

Storage: Samsung - 970 EVO 500 GB M.2 NVMe SSD PSU: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Display(s): 1xMSI Optix MAG272CRX 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor 2xASUS VZ239H-W 23" Full HD 1080p IPS HDMI VGA Eye Care Monitor

Cooling: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition: 5G Optical Sensor 16,000 DPI

Sound: Corsair VOID RGB ELITE 7.1 Channel Headset Operating System: Linux, Windows 10 PCPartPicker URL: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3bZNZfhttps://pcpartpicker.com/list/3bZNZf

They removed the Linus Kissing Booth but aside from that things should be going ahead as planned. /s

There is a notice about the virus on the main page of the LTXexpo website.

https://www.ltxexpo.com/

Info Regarding COVID-19

We will continue to monitor and follow the guidance of Health Canada, WHO, and BC CDC for updates. Our staff will be following the recommended procedures for the flu season: washing your hands often with soap and water, covering your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, avoiding others who are unwell, staying home when sick, and using a good sense of hygiene to avoid the spread of any illness.

There is currently no negative government or authority advice and therefore no reason to believe the event will not be hosted as planned. In the case of an event cancellation without a rescheduled date (there will be a rescheduled date), a full refund will be issued.

If the situation worsens as we get closer to the event, or if specific measures are implemented at the event in response to the development of COVID-19, we will publish information about how this affects the events and its visitors here on the website.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, outwar601O said:

It feels irresponsible not to postpone it  considering the WHO has announced corona is a pandemic.

They mentioned that if the situation continues/gets worse, then they'll cancel it and issue refunds.

It all depends on how the situation progresses.

A lot of places are taking a "we'll keep open as long as [health authority] allows" approach to social distancing policy. I would not be shocked if LTT/LMG are doing the same

My PCs:

VALENTINIAN : CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X || CPU COOLER : Corsair H115i Pro || MOBO : MSi B450 Tomahawk Max || GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB, Samsung 850 Evo 1TB x2 || PSU: EVGA G2 850W w/ Cablemod Black & White Cables || CASE: NZXT H510 White || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A, HP 27yh || KEYBOARD: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (MX Brown, White Keycaps) || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: HyperX Cloud Alpha, Logitech C920 || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 2x Corsair ML120 ||

DIOCLETIAN III (HTPC) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 || CPU COOLER : Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition || MOBO : MSi X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Strix OC || RAM: 2x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V (3200) || SSDs: Crucial P1 500GB, Crucial MX500 1TB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB || PSU: Seasonic 650W w/ Black & Red Extensions || CASE: Phanteks P300 || Monitor: Samsung Q60 65" QLED || KEYBOARD: Logitech G613 || Mouse: Logitech G305 || CONTROLLER: Xbox One Controller x2 || AUDIO: Samsung Q60R Soundbar || Case Fans : 2x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120, Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 ||

JUSTINIAN - Dell XPS 15": CPU: Core i7-9750H || GPU: GTX 1650 || RAM: 2*8GB 2666MhZ DDR4 SODIMM || SSD: 1TB M.2 PCIe || CASE: 15.6" Laptop with dBrand skin || MONITOR: 15" 1920 * 1080 IPS || KEYBOARD: Dell Keyboard || MOUSE: Logitech G305 White || AUDIO: HyperX Cloud II ||

OTHER : Dell Latitude (i7-6600U, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD) || HP All-in-One (Unspecified Haswell i7, 8GB DDR3, Crucial MX500 500GB ||

MOBILE : Galaxy S9 (64GB + 64GB uSD) || Galaxy S7 (32GB) || FitBit Blaze || Kindle Fire 10" ||

CONSOLE : Nintendo Switch (Pro Controller x3, Joy-Con Grip x1, PowerA Enhanced Controller x1) ||

POLITICAL ALIGNMENT: Social Democratic || Centre-Left ||

The conference is in August. There are at least a dozen vaccines ready to test for short/mid-term collateral effects, and human trials are scheduled to start by the end of this month.

13 minutes ago, outwar601O said:

It feels irresponsible not to postpone it  considering the WHO has announced corona is a pandemic.

It is in August my dude. Things can turn around before then. What I am hoping for is that this will make LTX THE Tech event of 2020.All the other events were cancelled so in my mind that would mean the vendors would have MORE stuff to giveaway and maybe we can get more vendors that wouldn't show at a small event.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor Motherboard Asus Tuf B450 Gaming Motherboard RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Gaming OC 3X Video Card Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower White with Tempered glass

Storage: Samsung - 970 EVO 500 GB M.2 NVMe SSD PSU: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Display(s): 1xMSI Optix MAG272CRX 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor 2xASUS VZ239H-W 23" Full HD 1080p IPS HDMI VGA Eye Care Monitor

Cooling: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition: 5G Optical Sensor 16,000 DPI

Sound: Corsair VOID RGB ELITE 7.1 Channel Headset Operating System: Linux, Windows 10 PCPartPicker URL: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3bZNZfhttps://pcpartpicker.com/list/3bZNZf

7 hours ago, Elektra57 said:

It is in August my dude. Things can turn around before then. What I am hoping for is that this will make LTX THE Tech event of 2020.All the other events were cancelled so in my mind that would mean the vendors would have MORE stuff to giveaway and maybe we can get more vendors that wouldn't show at a small event.

Many summer events are closing and going online only. Countries are shutting down because of how infectious it is.

Posted (edited)

@CPotter

It's clear that since the original post date of this thread, the rapid spread of this virus has been devastating. I think the most responsible thing you can do is to pull tickets from sale and postpone the event until further notice. I know as a company you'll have put a lot of money into this event, but the safety of staff and attendees HAS to come first I'm afraid. 

Edited by LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo
*StrawPoll is no longer needed*

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVME M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Yamaha HPH-MT5 headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Posted · Best Answer
45 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

@CPotter

I've started a StrawPoll on the matter...

https://www.strawpoll.me/19601009

The safety of guests and staff is a priority and we are monitoring the situation as new information is released, when the time comes we will make a decision in regards to postponing or cancelling the event. Canada, like many other countries has put measures in place to help prevent the spread of the virus, but it is still up in the air as to when these precautions and regulations will be lifted. At the time of writing this the regulations (such as bans on large meetings and border closings) do not overlap with the dates of LTX, but given how quickly the situation can change and how far out August is we don't know if those regulations will stil be in effect. Once we are able to make an informed decision we will make a public announcement regarding LTX.

10 minutes ago, Chase Douglas said:

but given how quickly the situation can change and how far out August is we don't know if those regulations will stil be in effect.

If it is confirmed that the Olympics are postponed, will that lead you into making a decision given that they were ment to start in July (which of course is only 1 month before August)? 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVME M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Yamaha HPH-MT5 headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

28 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

If it is confirmed that the Olympics are postponed, will that lead you into making a decision given that they were ment to start in July (which of course is only 1 month before August)? 

I believe it was just announced that the Tokyo Olympics are going to be postponed until 2021. The location and scale of the Olympics differ greatly from LTX, but we are taking into consideration the actions of other events that are scheduled in and around our event as well.

On 3/23/2020 at 8:57 PM, Chase Douglas said:

I believe it was just announced that the Tokyo Olympics are going to be postponed until 2021. The location and scale of the Olympics differ greatly from LTX, but we are taking into consideration the actions of other events that are scheduled in and around our event as well.

The thing is the usa is taking virtually no prevention measures and by ltx there should be an insane amount of people with the virus and canada will be affected by proximity.

On 3/13/2020 at 8:35 AM, gabrielcarvfer said:

The conference is in August. There are at least a dozen vaccines ready to test for short/mid-term collateral effects, and human trials are scheduled to start by the end of this month.

The best case scenario for a vaccine, assuming everything works perfectly, is 18 months. And that is only for final approval, that's not manufacturing and getting it to market. It will be, at least, until the end of next year before vaccines are ready to start rolling out to people. 2022 is more likely, however.

On 3/13/2020 at 9:29 AM, lewdicrous said:

They mentioned that if the situation continues/gets worse, then they'll cancel it and issue refunds.

It all depends on how the situation progresses.

Only thing me (and probably others) have done so far is bought our tickets. I still have yet to book hotels, flights, and transportation.

Minute physics has a good video on the coronavirus spread including when some countries are dropping off while others are growing. If the trend continues, the USA will drop in cases and things will resume in the summer:

Keep in mind LTX is like, 4000 people. Meanwhile events like comic-con are something stupid like 100K people. Which one is more likely to be relaxed in the coming months?

I think the idea is we figure out who has Covid-19 and quarantine them. After we can get everyone quarantined, the virus will stop spreading and everyone uninfected/recovered can go back to work.

I was also planning in making a 2-day stopover at DEF CON this year (which is about 6x larger than LTX) before heading to LTX, so I have no idea how that will affect things there.

We are also mostly introverts. We quarantined before quarantine was cool. I have not booked my airfare. I have been tempted to because it has dropped almost 1,000$ for me and my crew. Haven't booked a hotel yet either. Keep educating people to stay the F home and wash their hands. I can promise you that LMG cares more about it's community than the bottom line. They will make a decision when the time is right and they have more information. Stay safe everyone!!!

There isn't much point in rescheduling this year for me.  I pre-paided for everything and didn't purchase travel insurance, which I never have before.  The costs to re-book everything might just be too high.  I'll have to wait to see if the hotels and airlines cancels on me then I'll get a refund, but if I cancel I'll get nothing. 

Quakecon https://quakecon.bethesda.net/ an event that happened to be at the exact same time this year has been cancelled, so I'm now keeping an eye on this thread.

The Pokemon World Championships that also takes place around the same time (2nd-3rd week of August) just got canceled
Was supposed to be at London Excel. But they are using it as a hospital. 

Pokemon had it's |Worlds in Vancouver Convention Centre in 2013, and people will want to Drive from Seattle which is a hot spot for this virus. (When I went in 2013 this is what I did)

Sad Because I was hoping this thing will end soon.

homeofmew (homeofmew#1337)

[ | folding@home | F@A Extreme Over Clocking | Bionic | ]

Events don't have to be canceled until the government says so or the hosts deem it too much of a risk.

A good example is Anime North:

They canceled on the 25th, the province was in state of emergency for on the 17th and has since been extended with schools being closed till mid April (all of which was announced after the tweet).

The last thing Linus or anyone at LMG wants is to get sick from hosting an event, goers not getting sick is a bonus in LTX's type of event. Sounds offensive in one way but think of it, if you where in Linus's shoes (Linus has been stressed over past events not breaking even,TBF I can't blame him it's a lot of money) would you want to cancel and face possibly large sums of loss on a deposit plus refunds or hold out in hopes the event will go threw or a full refund has to be offered due to government actions preventing it from going forwards? August is still too far away for anyone to say "yes this will still be a pandemic in August". 4 Months is still a long time for a virus to keep infecting people, especially since it will be summer.

Pokemon Company and Bethesda both are large companies with millions in the bank and afford to cancel early with possible penalties, however Pokemon Company might have had their event canceled on them based on Government requests due to current use of the building. Anime North prob was able to convince the TCC (host building for most of the conventions history) to allow a full return on a deposit (if any, due to history or transfer to next year) based on current issues and how close it is to the event.

Simply put come back in about 2 months before the event, if COVID is still as bad & not getting better or getting worst esp in the states (where most are likely coming from), then I would expect LMG to pull the plug. However that is still over 2 months away before that choice could be logically made. However once again this all depends on government actions, if borders stay closed or BC keeps social distancing and low group numbers with prospects of it exceeding August before the 2 months I can see it getting canceled sooner.

Where I get my COVID information from is from this site:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Might not be the most accurate and the charts are date based and not like what is shown in the video above. Also currently COVID-19 looks like it is worst than H1N1 however H1N1 had 2 years of destruction at least in Canada, if Canada can kill it off in one shot it won't be as bad as H1N1 https://ipac-canada.org/pandemic-h1n1-resources.php

That said only reason why this virus is spreading in such a manner is because stupid people exist. It takes one stupid person to infect hundreds.

Simply put, don't go threw drive thrus, practice social distancing, good hygiene, and yell at anyone who doesn't wish too.

i was close to booking but its too hard to tell
my country says it maybe months before we can start to travel once more.

don't forget the Spanish flu had 2 massive spikes 

maybe in an upcoming WAN show linus can fill us all in on the current Status of it 

So BC just annouced No Conventions until vaccine/treatment/community immunity. so looks like there will not be a LTX this year 

Aselwyn1

1 hour ago, aselwyn1 said:

So BC just annouced No Conventions until vaccine/treatment/community immunity. so looks like there will not be a LTX this year 

https://www.vancourier.com/life-can-resume-in-mid-may-sort-of-1.24130878

So... They will never happen again? Reality is it'll be impossible to enforce unless done like immunization which is also not required by law less a few exceptions (like Ontario), once COVID is over it will be like the other 2 (sars h1n1). Wasting such time on things that will never (shouldn't) happen again with the strain, unlike the common flu...

Like seriously? Once it's dead it's dead like the others, the virus can't come back, and even if it does the vaccine for the old version will not work on the new one.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/new-normal-rear-facing-seats-could-be-the-future-of-air-travel-1.4925550

image.png